Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

RCBOs are quite sensitive for sure (that's the point) so maybe try a standard breaker?

Or make sure the RCBO has the correct amperage

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Sorry it is not clear which RCBO has tripped as there are multiple ones in the PV setup. Also were you time charging battery from the grid at night? If yes then try to limit the charge current.

Post edited by reklamos on

I had tried it before just out of interest but was not using solcast. It is doable but since I do not have night rate I have dropped it. My logic was quite simple. Pull the raw data at midnight, estimate the total cloud coverage during the day and come up with the value that I need to charge to. Send this value using mqtt to HA where node-red would pick it up and send modbus command to inverter to started timed charging and monitor. Once the value is achieved it would disable timed charging. Now there were multiple challenges as it needed to take into account when it is sunny. If it is dull day or cloudy morning with sunny afternoon then it is ok but the things shift it is sunny morning but cloudy afternoon. Also the calculation that I have not tackled is to calculate best charge rate and time for the battery, as you would want to finish charging as close to the end of night rate. Anyway as it is was not applicable to me I dropped it. Maybe I'll look at it again if I get good night/smart rate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not using Solcast, but using forecast.io Its close enough for what I want, No real automation but only really useful in Sept/oct and March/april. - Now, in November, I'm charging to full no matter what.

My installer has my inverter on a 100ma RCBO,

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

I think you need to charge the battery on night rate meter from 12.00 midnight to 8am so you need to change those settings. Though I found I was blowing a trip switch when the car, battery and tumble dryer were ruinning all at 12.00 causing about 15kw of power being drained from grid so I changed the battery charge to 4am-8am and it stopped tripping the main board. My Installer said it should not be tripping as the zappi should see the elec use and should shuttle down though I have it timed boost on the zappi so that maybe issue. resolved now anyways! Your Discharge time can be left 0 or from 8am-12 midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

I Had a wilis heater installed to my tank as it had no immersion at all dooh! seems to be working ok though I am not sure how the efficiencies worked in comparison to a normal immersion heater. My only option was to replace the whole tank which was not necessary as it was a near new SS insulated tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've anyway since starting charging the battery now during night rate as when the clocks changed, the production dropped right off!!

I have it set to charge from 11pm - 8am, and I notice it charges fairly fast, and also it starts discharging (from 100%) at around 7:30am.. I might just change it to start charging at 5am and see if it makes a difference.

Finding it great though, battery drains a little in the mornings as the house wakes up, then over the course of the day the PV tops it back up to full by the time it gets dark, then it usually lasts up until 11pm. when it gets to 20% the discharge slows to a trickle, and then the grid feeds the house. Been checking the meter the last few days and only using 1kWh of daytime units per day. Right now it's cloudy & gloomy, but I'm still generating 760watts and 300 of them are going into the battery!!

Cant wait for next spring/summer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Oh yea 30amps in one burst to charge the battery is sailing close to the wind with a 32 amp breaker. I've knocked the charge from 30amps down to 20 and fingers crossed.

Yea only one breaker between inverter and the grid, provided with the kit, 32amp RCBO and no sign of any others in the instructions given..

I had similar situation, the 63A DC breaker started tripping about 1.5 after installation. I did noticed that it was tripping during long sunny periods. I stuck a probe on it to monitor temperature. It was heating upto almost 80C and as it is thermal breaker it was tripping because of that. I have replaced it with same rating but from Schneider(the original one was some unknown Chinese) and it is working fine so far. The one I had removed, had some plastic parts deformed because of heat so definitely was not good enough for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to clarify that, the night rate is 11pm -> 8am in winter time, and 12am -> 9am in summer time. I think that's what you meant, but it's confusing as you mention "Your Discharge time can be left 0 or from 8am-12 midnight." Those two hours (8am & 12midnight) aren't possible as a combination in either winter/summer. Just wouldn't like to see anyone discharging their battery needlessly or grabbing units at full pelt.

Breakers are temperamental little things. Brand new install myself recently and the 100amp battery breaker was tripping at random primarily under charge, although once it tripped under discharge. Might go 3 hrs charging, and then trip....reset and trip in 5 minutes.....or 1 hr and trip again, or 2 days. Lowered the charge rate from 3.5Kw to 2.1Kw and it behaved much better (but still tripped albeit much less frequently).

Givenergy recommended crimp the cable going into the breaker instead of having the contact go down on twisted strands which make up the cable. Anyway spark did the work and I was somewhat dubious about this, but sure enough it hasn't tripped since. What do I know....? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

Once the sun came up it powered back on. Unfortunately I'm away for the weekend so it'll be next week before I get to check how everything works.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

For those charging on night rate its worth checking the clock on the meter itself. My meter is 11 years old and has gradually been going out of sync. It is 26mins out at this stage so my night rate currently is 11.26pm to 826am in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I have worked out from several nights testing that 8amps over 7 hours and 50 minutes night rate will get me roughly to 92% from an empty Dyness 4.8Kw battery. If i want to add (or subtract) a few percentage points based on the sunny forecast next day - i just adjust the amps not the time.

very roughly .5 of an amp on this screen will raise or lower my charge by 5%.

So i got my install finshed yesterday and im like a kid with a new toy...dont think the wife gets my excitement! So first question i have is in relation to night time charging! I set it up last night to charge my 4.8kw battery from 6am to 8am hoping to get to about 80%. It actually charged very quickly and slowed down for last 10 percent. In the end it was at 99%. Of course then usage was low in the morn once kids out to school and the sun came out in between the clouds so i was going right get the washing machine on quick! Im not sending power back to the grid! So a few pages back i saw discussions on lowering the charging amp to slow it down? Question is why would you do that? 2nd question is if you slow down its capability to charge in the setting does that then limit its abilty to accept charge from the panels eg if solar was producing 3kw, house was using 500w, there would be 2500w available to go to solar. I assume if the battery cant accept it then it goes to the grid. I left my settings at 50amp charge and discharge and allowed me to charge and discharge at rates of up to 2.5kw that i noticed today.

WHen i started I charged at the full rate - and it was full in an hour.

The advice I got was a long slow charge will be nicer to the battery - less heat etc. I also recon - during night time - i want the battery to ONLY charge - never discharge. So while it charges I also run the big devices like washer dryer dishwasher etc.

I have left small headroom of 8-15% - never charge to 99% - becuase i dont want a full battery and the morning sun sending free electricity back to grid. Self consume it all!

Yes exactly what i was thinking to aim for 80% charge at night finishing just before night rate ends. I would have thought the fact i left the charge/ discharge setting at what it came as it would be best and within manufactures recommendations? If o do change the setting to slow it down will it also limit the charge from solar...have you noticed that and ended up sending excess solar to grid as battery was limiting the charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Bring the charge down to 25amp. Its easer on the battery. lower the amps and extend the time by an hour. Or keep it at two hours and add time as needed.

Once the time charging is over the system will revert to automatic mode.

Did you get a diverter?

I meant to answer that as well. My settings in post #1815 only effect night time charge rate, and have zero effect on the daytime rate. If the sun is beaming during daytime the panels are on full tilt.

Im NOT sure if i tried to set the "charge" setting during the day would it alter that rate - but why would i want to charge then?

• Advertisement

Cheers! No i didnt get the diverter. I have a heat pump so figured id put the money into the panels and optimisers.

I tried 25 Amps - and yeah it doubled my charge time. But the way I look at it - a longer slower charge is better for the life of the battery.

Also i want to maximise the night units so why not use the entire 8 hours to charge the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Morning all,

Not sure where to post this so I'm trying it in here. I'm looking at getting the solar panels and water diverter installed at the house to cut down on bills. Looking for some advice. Have a quote as below:

And for the larger 6kWp PV system with 4.8kWh battery storage and MyEnergi EDDI water diverter, here are the facts around these costs and benefits.

Cost including VAT is approx. €11693

Grant applied from SEAI €3000

Final Cost €8693

This system will reduce your annual electricity bill by between €1250 and €1500pa.

As well as powering your house, this system could fill the batteries and provide a tank full of hot water using the excess energy for 10 to 11 months a year,through your immersion element using the MYEnergi EDDI water diverter, which is the best product in this area.

So my avg use per day is 10kwh. Am I thinking this is the best option? I can't see me ever having enough to hear the water over the winter month so is there anyway I can control where the panels send the power? As in can I tell the system to heat the water for an hour a day1st then feed the rest of the house?

All help appreciated!

Just to add I've looked at heat pumps and I don't think I'm ready to jump in that pond yet but if someone can convince me otherwise...?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Wrong thread but heat pumps are a mindfield to be honest. I am part of a number of facebook groups and loads of horror stories which would put you off, but then again I have loads of friends who have them in 10+ years and they work perfectly.

The main thing about them is insulation. If you don't have the proper insulation and air tightness, or close to air tightness you are going to spend a lot of money. Personally my house was never build for a heat pump so long term I think my best option will be a hybrid system which at least should reduce my dependency on fossil fuels.

I guess it is not Solar PV v Heat Pump? in reality the solar PV will be useless to power the heat pump.

Also in terms of the email, the eddi won't give you a full tank of water 10-11 months a year. I have 19 panels on the roof and I have nearly no hot water since circa September. I doubt I will get any till March/April next year either. Now I do have a high base load of 0.6kW so that doesn't help but just be aware of that.

Do you know what your base load is during the day?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

>This system will reduce your annual electricity bill by between €1250 and €1500pa.

That's.. optimistic to say the least. Reality is about half that. (You will still have your standing charge etc for you electric bill)

The quote itself is ok, have a look at the quotes thread for comparison.

Regarding heat pumps I'd echo blue there, properly installed ones work well, there is high temperature ones too where they aren't as efficient but still can work more like a traditional boiler. Where you can more or less slap a oil or gas one in and call it a day. Heat pumps are less forgiving, a poorly installed or configured one isn't going to work well.

Heat pump should be the last step after insulating as much as you can.

Have the timber framed house, built in 2008 not sure what extras I'd need to insulate maybe triple grazed windows. OK will have a look at the price thread. Thx for the info 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

First off, here's the place to post the quote...

Secondly, that quote seems OK but the estimate on savings are flat out lies. In principle I would try to find another supplier on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

@paddyirish23 it looks a good quote. We have a guide of €1k per 1kWp of panels and €1k per 2.5kW of battery storage.

But as for "This system will reduce your annual electricity bill by between €1250 and €1500pa", if you look at your annual cost of electricity EXCLUDING Standing charges and levies etc, I'd say your annual running cost is way off this - so you cannot save what you don't even use.

There is no doubt that 6kW system will cover your base load, even on cloudy days, but for 6 months of the year, you are likely to generate considerable amounts of surplus, unless you use large amounts of hot water.

So are you considering an EV ? But even to charge an EV from solar, it would need to be at home during the day.

• Advertisement

Not right away for the electric vehicle but in a few yrs yes, I'm not overly worried abt the sales talk I know it's just too all it he told me over the phone it'll be abt half it to be fair to him. With the excess( which I didn't think I'd ever have any) can you sell back to the grid yet? I know its not worth it but if having a fully loaded battery and system still has excess I'd sooner it goes somewhere than damage the system?

Advertisement