Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid question time (CAP2)

• 12-11-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Before someone comments this, I know everyone's approach is different when studying. I am simply looking for other people's advice or opinion on how they went about studying for CAP2 modules.

I'm currently doing FR and SFMA this year.

Any help would be great as I feel like I've done nothing so far (granted I'm only a month in)

Comments

When I did mine, I did most of the learning during study leave (bar the bare minimum needed for interims).

What's important at this stage is notes. Your CAP2 FR notes are going to see you through to FAE. Good notes now, especially in FR, are going to be a huge help down the line. Once you get close to the exams you're going to want to do as many questions as possible, so it's a huge help if you don't need to devote loads of time to notes.

That was just me though. I've never failed an exam but I've also never been a model student!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Andrew93

I'm doing the flexible route so will only have 1-2 weeks study leave before my exams so I want to try to put in the hours from now each week so that I'm hopefully not under immense pressure closer to the exams.

When you say notes, are you referring to the ones given to you from the lecturers or your own notes from what they have given you?

Sorry I should have realised with the 2 exams you probably don't have loads of study leave. It's great that you're trying to get a head start to make up for it.

My notes were a mix of my own writing and lecture materials. With CAP2 being open-book, most people have a lever-arch folder per subject that they put all their notes into for referencing during the exam. I was always one of the few people that liked to study with books but they're very impractical for referencing under exam conditions, it just takes way too long to find the info you need.

With notes, you can cut all the info down to exactly what you need to know when answering questions, and use that during the exam. Some people do really comprehensive notes, but I much preferred to keep them to exactly what I'd need in the exam. I had a mix of content in mine, even pages where I had hand-written notes with snips from lecture slides pritt-sticked on to the page. In some cases where I'd found certain practice questions hard, I'd include the actual question and answer in my notes to act as a template if I got thrown something similar in the exam.

If you're very short on study time, it might make more sense to start milling into questions now and take your notes as you go through the questions. Doing questions really is the best way to study, but so early on, it's hard to ensure the info you're absorbing is actually going into your long-term memory, so do try to note down anything you see in a question/answer that makes you go "Ahh!".

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Andrew93

Exactly the info I was looking for with regards to what I should be doing with my time at the minute.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I went through the traditional route so had plenty of study leave - But as mentioned I would make sure you have a good strong notes and then exam questions exam questions exam questions - done under exam conditions. You will begin to see they can be repetitive especially in FR

• Advertisement
Advertisement