Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

That looks like a Vanilla limitation as opposed to something Boards put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

it looks like mod tools have taken a serious hit 

Whole shebang has taken a massive hit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted. If anyone really does struggle to post both in a civil and constructive manner then please do not post at all

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I might be wrong but it looks like there is only 1 admin supporting moderation/moderators on the site at the moment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes, you're wrong. There's more than one. Today, there were four admins active on the site. I'm happy with the support I get from the admins, even if it's something they can't answer. I know how it looks, but it's not how it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I may be the most visible Admin, but as Shield mentions there are others that remain active, in addition to Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It would be great if someone could take a look at the RTE Death cult thread in After Hours. I did report it, however, it would be a real shame if the families of the women in question being disrespected came across this thread and the contents. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've reported that as well, can't believe it's still there, particularly a couple of the posts within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It has gone now, but was left there far too long given how personally nasty it was. It was a bad faith thread from the outset. It does show that there are not enough Mods to support. Harder I suppose when something like that goes up at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Another post I flagged was edited by a mod but nothing written in thread.

What is the point? It takes so long for a mod to do anything now, that everyone has read the post, they don't notice it's been edited by a mod later.

it's pointless without something said on thread and a warning to other posters.

Harassment, bullying, personal attacks etc, all on the rise since the site change

Zero moderation happening on most forums

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I used to post fairly regularly in the Covid forums - which could get pretty heated and pretty polarised - but the main threads have gotten particularly trashy as of late - all sorts of outré crap being posted and lots and lots of never ending personalised bickering between posters.

I don't know much of it is to do with the mods necessarily, it's probably more of a reflection that a lot of people with moderate or middle ground opinions have filtered away from discussing Covid as time has progressed, so you're left with a rump of the highly opionated, but there's definitely a lot more leeway given to stuff that once upon a time would have been nipped in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Reported posts go to a general list and are not currently channelled to Mods afaik. They have to fish from that list...

Better to PM the mods until that is fixed. Finding out who they are might be still a problem though?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's not but you already know that.

Trust me, mods are every bit as frustrated with this pathetic excuse for a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m to sentimentally attached to put it down, I’ll hang in and hope for the best

It’s not but you already know that

I don’t think it’s a free for all either. Trying to find reports for my forums is difficult because they’re no longer tagged, but I can accurately guess from discussion titles that they aren’t in my forums. It also helps that mods comment on RPs from their own forums, meaning I can see that something actioned by moderator X is, by deduction, not in a forum of mine.

I think we’re getting there. It’s better than it was this time last month and the results of the small changes here and there are starting to show. What we do know is we can’t go back to vBulletin. It’s Vanilla or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's Vanilla or nothing through choice, not necessity. I'd wager there are other options as cost effect as Vanilla. It's just the powers that be have painted it as a binary choice between vBulletin or Vanilla.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From a modding perspective I cannot see any improvements in the last month. Was something implimented that I am not aware of? For me nothing much has improved.

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was this not your opinion of the site before the switch to Vanilla?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Assume the "vanilla or nothing" comment is down to contracts?

Moderation has become non existent on most forums. Only overtly abusive posts are (eventually) being actioned, often way too late to have any effect.

I agree with the previous poster who said that post deletion with no indication of reason is a terrible moderation policy.

Beasty replied with "do you want to read post after post with mod actions in bold"

Well, yes, if the goal of the mod action is to

A. Change the posters action

B. Indicated to the wider what is not allowed

The current policy is simply making a ton of extra work for you, because the acceptable line is not apparent therefore non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

The red and yellow cards were a simple but effective indication that someone had crossed the line. I assume they too are gone under the new improved boards. Also, I notice that some users have jail bars over their avatars on mobile but not on desktop. What's that about?

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The red/yellow cards is there on a point system. However when a post is warned, only the poster and the forum moderators can see the warning. This is something that is being worked on.

The warning system now works on points. A warning can have 0, 1 or 2 points. Once a poster reaches 5 points (I think) an automatic site ban kicks in. 1 point lasts 1 week, 2 points lasts 2 weeks.

The prison bars that are visible on the mobile site are displayed on a users profile that are 1 warning away from a site ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

The site is effectively dead because of the absolute pigs ear the developers made of the migration.

I'd say traffic has been literally decimated. Good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

I still don't understand.

Do you like the site? Do you want to participate in discussion? If so, would you not endeavour to be a positive contributor instead of giving out.

If you don't like it, if you don't want to be a positive contributor.. Why are you here giving out?

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement