Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

1. No idea, but there might be an opening in Dundalk soon given tonight's news. Does Long still have a job outside the game?

2. Not SB no. Someone that could considered close to Long. Same conversation offered up Tyreke Wilson to Shels, and either Lyons or Breslin to Pats, can't remember which though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

deleted

Hopefully first out the door Zahibo,

followed ( closely ) by Abibi

I wouldn’t object to Perth either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

1. No he has been full time the last 3 seasons or so.

2. Wouldn't be surprised or sad to see him go. Lyons will go to England if not staying on. Breslin would be a loss but again no real surprise.

As for whether Bohs are full time, the answer is they train in the evenings still, they don't train less hours than those who are full time than those who train in the morning . A lot of our players are in full time education and work jobs as well, as an example Georgie Kelly is doing his Masters degree currently. We're not operating on peanuts anymore but still can't compete on a monetary level with clubs who have rich backers. I think we offer a lot more than just a wage packet though, suits some players, doesn't suit others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

An unmitigated disaster at Dundalk. A Champions League Play Off and two EL group stages should have set them up with a nice training ground and a decent ground. They're now back at a level comparable to before Kenny took over. If it was Dallas Bobby would be waking up in the shower around now realising it was all a dream.

Some gold on these pages from Irishmale and another poster called DundalkFc.

'Peak6 bought the club..so whatever was in the bank is theirs and not the clubs or the fans. Its a business and not a public charity. We have to trust that they are there with the right intentions and so far they havent done anything to make me think differently."

"Only a few weeks ago they were having a field day when Fillipo was appointed.......... . Anyway, once they are talking and writing such tripe it means we are doing something right."

"I think they put auld Bill in on purpose....he speaks his mind and highlights what they see as being wrong"

"Recent appointments suggest their is a plan in place and that Peak6 are learning from their mistakes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just hope they can keep themselves stable, and not go bust, but what a disaster Peak6 were for the club.

Came in, took all the money, didn't improve the club at all, and left when the team stopped doing well.

Exactly what everyone outside was telling Dundalk fans who refused to listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So are the new Dundalk owners likely to invest much in terms of a budget or is this more a case of stabilising things and avoiding worst case scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Stabilising. Budget will be significantly reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭srfc d16

If what Bill said is true (unlikely) about them having a budget at least twice as big as their nearest rivals than budget cuts shouldn't affect them too badly.

If they really had twice the budget of rovers they were wasting an awful lot of money. The rumored wages of some players, Zahibo in particular, were completely unnecessary and showed a complete misunderstanding of what makes a team better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Sun normally on the button as the Sports lads have close links to Bohs and other Dublin teams.

Shouldn’t be hard to cut the budget

Zahibo on (reportably) €4000 a week. For what. Even if was available to Vinny , I doubt he would be anything more than a bench warmer

Zahibo, Abibi, Natestad, Han, could go. If he stays I would keep Jurkovskis.

And Murray, and Patching,and Dumigan, and Staunton, and Cleary (probably won’t happen though.)

Steadying the ship would seem the most obvious step. Peak left €250k cash behind which is presumably to pay for the last few weeks of some of the bumper contracts they'd given out. Andy Boyle is the only player contracted for next year so Dundalk will be starting at rung 1 next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

4K a week! I would have thought 2K would be the going rate for the highest paid to players.

Rumours of him going to one of the newer MLS expansion teams, possibly Charlotte when they start up in the new year. He just doesn't seem cut out for living abroad so a return to Shams couldn't be ruled out.

4K and a house.budget supposed to be around €70k - a week. For what????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jack was at the last home Rovers match to see them win the league. There's no way he's signing for Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

The budget cuts being mooted are much more drastic than just cutting it in half. There's been a suggestion that it could be brought back to 2013 levels. You'd hope/expect it won't be as severe as that but it will be very significant.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I imagine were just throwing our hat in the ring, doubt we've any real expectations of signing him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are Bohs giving Shams a guard of honour tonight I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Are away fans allowed in Dalymount tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Out of the 11 that started v Portugal last night 6 of them came up through the league , and that before you go down through the squad.

It’s infuriating that the league and fai don’t tap into this more . They should be on billboards , on tv , everywhere in their old club jerseys and and selling the league for what it is now , a genuine pathway to international football with plenty of quality coming through .

it’s so **** simple , you really would have to be the most incompetent crowd of fools not to take advantage of it 😠

Shame RTE aren't showing a game tonight. It would have fit nicely into the schedule directly following the U21s game and might have got some more eyes on a league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

I hate this 'guard of honour' lark. It's a rugby thing that has infiltrated it's way into modern football. It's a rugby thing because there is no such thing as rivalries in in rugby. And there are only two type of people who want it in football:

1) The snobs who want to point out that football is a game for hooligans who can't respect the league / cup winners

2) The wind up merchants who want to rub the noses our their rivals in it cos they have one over them after winning said league / cups

I wouldn't expect any team in football to do this for a rival, in fact, it annoys me when it happens. You see it now in the premier league games, players from rivals having a chat at the end of a game with their hands barely covering their smiles while they joke away with each other. Is that really what people want for LOI? No thanks.

I wouldn't want Shams to do it for Bohs and I definitely don't want to see Bohs do it for Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No such thing as rivalries in Rugby

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The rumour of Jack Byrne returning to Rovers seems to be getting louder. Rovers will have some team if he comes back, it'll be exciting next season for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He won't go to Bohs, can't afford him, don't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anybody know if they have ticket scanners at Richmond? Will tickets on mobile be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yes. Tickets on mobiles have been fine for me when I needed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It will be great to have Jack back in the league and should really give rovers a good stab at European progression

But this is Jack’s problem and why he will never kick on and fulfil his potential, he’s going to take the easy option where he knows he can coast through 90% of games and probably won’t feature for the national side unless he is exceptional in the European games

And I only say this because I think he’s as talented and more talented than most midfield players in the international squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Good for the league but bad for Jack. After the Apoel nightmare he probably just wants to get playing regular football and enjoying the game but that's probably his International career gone.

The knock on effect is interesting. Shamrock Rovers have a stockpile of midfielders and 10's, they surely can't keep them all

it'd be disappointing if he comes back so soon. I think he has more than enough talent to play in the NT (and boy could we use a player like him) but as said above he might not get the opportunity if he's playing here.

At 25 years old he should know the LOI is always going to be here and he'll walk into any team in the league at any point in the next 5 years. If there is an option on the table to play at a higher level, be it in England, the US or somewhere on the continent, I hope he gives that a go. It it doesn't work out then come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

Derry v Sligo game is impossible to watch with pathetic picture quality. Pats v Harps is where its at!!

Yeah I turned off the brandwell stream and have radio foyle on instead. Stream is awful.

Not expecting much of a result anyways without Bolger and Kenny. Thank feck we have already secured Europe.

Mad opening 25 minutes at richmond park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Delighted that it looks like Jack Byrne is coming back, it will be a pleasure watching him weekly again. Haven't got to see him play in the flesh since the Dundalk game in February 2020 when he scored a cracker in Tallaght. He is a player that enhances the profile of the league and even more so if he can get back into the Irish squad.

From an Irish perspective I'm disappointed it hasn't worked out for him abroad as I think he would be a great asset to have in the squad, not sure he will ever really cement a place if he is playing in the league.

Watts, Towell, O'Neill, Mandriou, McCann, Byrne, Burke all competing for probably four positions. You can see why we're open to offers on Brandon Kavanagh (even though I'd have liked to see him stay).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Finishes 2-2 in Inchicore.

Bar a huge goal difference swing, that's us (Drogheda) safe.

A great season for Tim and the lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

At what point did Byrne coast through games at Rovers. Would he be better to slug it out with the journeymen in League Two for years just because it's seen as 'tougher'?

Just caught the end of the Pats game and saw Doyle was refereeing. Sure enough, more red cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just back from Dalyer, that game really did have everything. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was really pinning my hopes on Rovers taking points off Bohs tonight, but alas. I suppose they way we have played this last month or so, we don't deserve a euro spot.

Perhaps Sligo might be our last hope? Then again, we have to get a result in Oriel, which will be very hard.

Rovers giving themselves a rugby style guard of honour is peak LOI.

Saw Jim Magilton interview tonight after the Ni match. I got the impression he would go back to the Northern setup in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah it actually looked even worse in the ground.

Fair play to Mandriou for continuing the tradition of Rovers players celebrating infront of Bohs fans as well, really got them going. I'm sure we'll be hearing about it on Tiktok for months to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

What he has done there is absolutely outstanding. They have a miserable budget.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement