Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 3k in savings

• 12-11-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I have a car on pcp finance and had one year left on the loan. Had 15k in savings but decided to pay the remaining balance of 12k off the loan to get out of debt. Part of me says “great, I’m glad I have no debt” but I also think “crap, I now only have 3k in saving instead of the 15k I did have.

im 27 male and at least now I can save double what I was I suppose?

thoughts 💭

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Not much of an issue here is there? It's pretty pitiful savings but there'll be plenty in worse situations and you're not too old to turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,088 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This is the 2nd thread this week with people telling us how much they have in the bank

It's better than being 15k in debt and having no savings I suppose; if you're looking for a bright side here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Congrats OP, why not open an account on Degiro or Trading 212 and invest the amount that was going on monthly pcp payments into shares or better Investment Trusts (less risk)such as SMT , you'll retire a millionaire if you stick at it given your age now. The magic of compounding at your age will lead to a very nice (early) retirement

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭paddyirish23

That's grand if your savvy enough to save away yourself, if not then some ppl prefer to have a loan so they have to pay , each to their own!

I know some ppl wouldn't have the ability to save away and not dip into it! Best of luck either way but stay clear of pcp if you can, at least with a normal for the car you own it at the end of the day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

OP I don't think Personal Issues is the correct place for your thread, so I'm going to move it to where I hope is more suitable.

Please be aware local Charter now applies.

HS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Squatman

youve assets wort 15-18k at 27. thats not terrible. and an ability to save approx 2k a month

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veil

It's gonna be ok, loan has a way tearing the pocket ruggedly, if you took the loan for an investment is gonna pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your first objective should be to build up a rainy day fund because I very much doubt that 3k is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SauNewb

If the 15k was sitting in a bank account earning no interest I don't think it was a bad move. You'll save the interest and will be able to rebuild the savings.

Wait until you have kids and a mortgage, you'll look back to the day you had €3k in the bank and no debts as an almost mythical nirvana forever lost 😜

you had 1 year to pay 12k back, thats 1k per month straight away in savings. combined with this you were able to put an amount away each month that got you to 15k, so your savings ability is somewhere in the 1-2k region. dont be so glass half empty. your saving more than a lot of people are earning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where does it say he was paying it off in 1 year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'm a big fan of investing. But rule number 1 is always emergency savings, held in cash. Depending on a number of factors (age, dependencies, job stability, obligations etc), this can be anywhere from 1 to 12 months salary. Only after you have that tucked away should you consider investing with the excess.

But they should be the last people to borrow money. If someone isn't financially mature/savvy etc enough to manage savings and financial security etc, then they are not financially mature/savvy enough to be taking on risk and debt. The '08 crisis should have been enough for people to realise that.

1. for someone earning 40k annually gross, do you think they should have 40k in savings before investign? or do you think they should have net value say 30k? and do you hold 30k or 1 years salary in a bank account accruing very little in interest?
    2. people you are talking to were probably children in 2008, so wouldnt have a dogs notion what you're on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

How much a person should keep in liquid, safe form depends on a number of factors. Take 2 extremes:

Person 1 is in their early 20s, single, with no kids, in a permanent job in public sector, renting a room with no lease, doesn't have a car, no debts and still has a room in their financially comfortable parents house needs no more than a month's salary. They are unlikely to lose their job, nor have any reason to expect sudden large expenses. But even if the unimaginable happened, they would likely be helped by their parents and worst case scenario move back home. Likewise, if they do need to cut down on living standards for a while until they are back on their feet, it is only impacting themselves.

Person 2 is in their 50's, married, where they are the main breadwinner, with kids, with an underlying health condition, has an old car which they need for work, in a temp contracting role in a volatile sector with a large mortgage (and high LTV), with other debts and/or other financial commitments and whose parents are no longer alive (or otherwise unable to help them) would want a serious chunk of money in liquid, safe form. In this scenario, there is a significant chance that this person could experience a significant period of unemployment, either due to job market drying up or health reasons. There is also a significant chance that they may need to deal with a sudden large expense, be it for themselves or their kids/spouse. If they do come upon unfortunate circumstances (quite possible!), they also have nobody to help them or anything to fall back on. Tie in their job loss with a stock/property market crash etc, and they could be in serious trouble (so the last thing they would want to do is be forced to cash in and sell at a low point). Added to that is the guilt felt from having their spouse and children also share in the sudden & drastic cut to their living standards can make the idea unbearable for many people.

There is no specific amount, and is better expressed in terms of months of salary, and is ultimately down to each individual's risk aversion. The standard that most people agree on is between 1 month's salary (for those whose circumstances are close to person 1) to 12 month's salary (for those whose circumstances more align to person 2**), with most people being somewhere in between.

Remember, investing in something like the stock market will get you the best return on average and I strongly recommend it to most people for their excess* savings. But that average is only realised over the long term. Short term is down to luck, and could go drastically in either direction. A stock market downturn or crash is not a bad thing, as it will recover in time, as long as you can afford it give it time. Ultimately, for every euro you invest, you want to be able to cash in at a time that is highly profitable and suits your long-term financial plan, not when it is at a low point but you have an urgent and desperate need for cash. The purpose of emergency savings is to have money to meet realistic "negative" events that could occur. The purpose of investment is to use that capital and grow your wealth.

*excess, in this scenario being savings in excess of emergency funds + any moneys they anticipate spending/needing in the near future (buying a new car, deposit for a house etc).

Mod: removed profanity

Post edited by Jim2007 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Forget about PCPs.

Open a savings account and put in €500 per month in five years you will have €30k plus your trade in.

Open another one with the €3k and build it up to a rainy day fund of €5 or 6k.

Then start enjoying life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

Why stay clear of PCP? wouldn't it depend on the rate of interest and how much the person was individually able to pay initially?

From looking at the costs, they seemed to be the best option to repay a car over a set time period, rates are usually better than a CU loan.

I'm open to correction or opinion as I was planning to go that route myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭elperello

According to the OP he has cleared the debt on the car and presumably it's three years old.

It will easily last another 5 years putting him in pole position to be car loan free for life by saving the price in advance of purchase.

And he will only be 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Alternatively, he might be smart about whom he shacks up with

i like this 2nd scenario, as it points out extremes that would be unlikely, ie having a high LTV in your 50's, in temp contracting, in volatile market place, and definitely going to experience expensive bills and car repairs. Everything imaginable is stacked up against this person.... 😂... if you're in you 50's with risky employment, you wont get a mortgage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't know where the idea of expressing your rainy day fund as a percentage of income in the first place. The idea is to hold sufficient funds to cover typical expenses for a given period. Obviously the amount will depend on your circumstances, not really to do with your salary. The fund should not just cover unexpected expenses, but should give you a bit of financial flexibility as well without having to go into debt.

Advertisement