Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ouch, yeah my range is plummeting like a stone too

Consumption since the last charge is 19kWh/100km, giving a range of just under 400km

Whatever algorithm the GOM uses could do with an update, it seems to jump around a lot in the first few mins after starting the car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Anyone else getting a load of warnings the last few days that certain things aren't working? Is that something to do with the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

I find the car can use alot of juice when you start it up for a few mins (assume battery warming or something) then it goes back to normal, also the aircon for me costs about 40-50km of range when its on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The HV battery heater for short journeys is the cause as previously discussed, using around 5kW to heat the battery. AFAIK you can't preheat the battery even when the car is plugged in to a charger with the current hardware/software. If you do lots of short journeys it repeats the heating process so has a big impact on the GOM, while on a longer drive it should even itself out.

For cars that were built and delivered with 2.3 software some owners in Germany claim that the battery heating drain isn't as severe as the older builds. It's one of the items in 3.0 whenever that arrives.

Does charging the car in itself heat the battery in any way or is it an immaterial effect?

I don't think it's the battery heater for me, the consumption when idle is only around 2kW

I think it's because I'm doing a lot of short hops and the car cools down between journeys and the climate control is heating the car up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

thats the update. usually lasts for a day or 3

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

To Quote VW:

Range optimization at low outside temperatures

With the upcoming ID. Software update, we are introducing improvements through optimized thermal management. This reduces consumption and thus increases the range by adjusting the activation threshold of the battery heating, especially in short-haul operation. At the same time, the charging performance in winter is improved by adjusting the heating threshold for DC charging.

If it's like 3 warnings. Front impact, driver assist/lane keep and something else, then it's the update. Check your "goodbye" screen when you power off the car. You should have an "update available" shown. Tap that when you're ready to update (1 update takes a bit over an hour, the 2nd update is about 3 hours).

cutting it fine, never had consumption that low

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure thats how it works. I've never found those portable compressors have a problem inflating even a heavy car. My car is only 25% lighter and the compressor has no problems.

• Advertisement

Woah that's an old comment. Probably being over cautious. It was/is a cheap compressor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It was an interesting comment. I'd never thought of it before. Its like those lifting bags though. At least in principle. There must be a weight limit and I assume they are well tested.

Possibly some good news for all the people waiting on an ID.4

I wonder how this is going to fit in with the semiconductor shortages. Seems crazy to spin up Emden if Zwickau isn't at full capacity, maybe VW have wrangled a better supply deal which will help them meet demand

I guess the refit of Emden has also been ongoing for a few years and isn't going to stop now

I think Hannover is next for the ID.Buzz and ID.Vizzion production versions

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

Got email from VW dealer today saying that my build week is 48/49 and delivery is estimated for January. Deposit put down end of September. A bit of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

That would be decent timing. If it is the case then things maybe are picking up a little.

Anyone else find their car playing music while updating. Has happened me twice today. Have had to get in and press the power button on left of screen

Like from the radio or your phone? Or just random jingles?

Not sure I like the idea of my car being sentient and wanting to listen to music. It's probably got a grudge against me for scratching it's alloys 😅

I have no idea coz the screen is a progress bar

Must check out the reported capacity in the morning. 4% after 20k km is a bit disappointing really. Was too privileged in the old ioniq

Why can't manufacturers just allow owners to see this, without having to go through an OBDII + app?

I don't think any car allows you to see the SOH of the battery or cell balancing natively.

Given that it's one of the reasons why people stay away from BEVs (shur isn't the battery is like the one on my phone), shouldn't it be an option at least buried in a submenu somewhere?

I'm curious what the 2 year VW service will show regarding the battery. If it's anything like the reports Nissan provide for the Leaf it's a complete waste of time (no detailed information at all).

• Advertisement

Checked mine this morning. 10k km on the clock, 75kWh capacity reported by the app.

4% isn't great, hopefully it's like the bathtub curve, there's a bit of degradation at the start of lifetime and then it slows down for the next while

Could also be a calibration issue, the energy content is an estimate after all. You'd need to drive the car down until it almost dies and fully recharge it to recalibrate it

I'll be surprised if they even bother, they didn't give me a battery health report the last time the Leaf got serviced either

Speaking of servicing, has anyone actually gotten a straight answer as to how much the 2 year service costs for people without the service plan? For a laugh I tried booking one and there's doesn't seem to be an ID specific package

The Classis and Ultimate service seem to be all about oil and fuel filter changes, which would prove difficult for an EV 😁

There's the E-Golf service for €99 which might include the ID cars, but again might not

Going by the cheapest service plan (€8 per month), it includes visual inspection, pollen filter change and brake fluid change

From the selection above, that would probably come to around €240

• diagnostic inspection - €140
    • health check - free
    • brake fluid - €65
    • pollen filter - I'm guessing around €40???

So the service plan probably does save a bit of money, but I feel like you could get away without the diagnostic inspection unless you thought something was wrong, and then you'd save a good chunk of cash

In other sad news, my car lost it's internet connection again 😡

I'll be giving VW a buzz next week, hopefully get it escalated so the senior engineers can ignore me 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

That doesn't seem to work with free version of the app .. is there a free app (iphone) that gives this info ?

This, no?

When setting up your vehicle, pick the meb connection profile from the list of obdii options.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Only way to know is to drive it flat and charge it to full and record the Kwh the EVSE has reported that the car took then do the same again in another year and make sure this charge doesn't include any preheating.

To be honest I'm not really worried about it with so much range compared to what I ever had and it would probably be many years before I notice any range loss for my normal daily driving. I always charge to 100% too off the work charger to milk as much out of it as I can.

Question for anyone who has tried carrying bikes on their ID.4, either on the roof or the hitch

How did it affect consumption? Was there a big hit or not much difference

I've carried a bike in the boot with seats down loads of times. Have never noticed any difference. Sure a bike would be lighter than an adult person.

Edit: You're probably talking about aerodynamics of it being outside, apologies.

• Advertisement

I did mean outside, but it's handy to know that it'll fit a bike inside 😁

It's a bit of an edge case for me anyway, since we don't own any adult bikes, and I don't have the tow hitch so can't put a rear carrier on without spending the guts of €2k

I could probably put bikes on the roof, but I'm not a fan of roof loading and it would spoil the view out of the sunroof

Maybe I'll just rent some bikes when we go on holiday, seems simpler 😅

Advertisement