Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

What!?! They gave themselves a guard of honour!? No way 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The funny thing is if he came over and ran past, fist bumping or whatnot the reaction would have been bad but not as bad as it was. But he came over and stood there for the guts of a minute right in front of us cupping his hands to his ear and shushing the crowd with the rest of them... And then you have Bradley's antics on the touch line afterwards. What did they expect to happen?

Anyway, Promise went straight up then other end and stuck it in the net which, considering what had just happened, was one of the more enjoyable goals I've seen live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Sadiki completely deserved his red, kicked the ball at king, absolute brain dead moment.

Unimpressed by pat's playing on after Doherty rolled the ball out for treatment to Boyle. Scummy move tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's completely typical of their behaviour, this is their players and staff not even their fans, they do it every time then complain that somehow Bohs are at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why wasn't Jaros playing or on the bench last night for Pats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought someone was joking when I heard this, seems it wasn't the person that was joking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

He was on international duty with the Czech U-21.

That happened because Doherty didn't give the ball back to us a few minutes before when play was stopped for a Harps player in the box. Ye can't complain when ye did exactly the same thing.

Strange match last night in Richmond, first half was very good, second half dreadful for the most part. We had two shots cleared off the line, Harps had a cross that missed Boyd by centimetres that would have been a goal if he got any sort of touch on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That guard of honour is absolutely cringeworthy from Rovers.

If I was a Bohs fan, I'd love that. Talk about insecure .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭trashcan

Self praise is no praise, or haven’t Rovers heard that one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭trashcan

Enjoyable enough game I thought. Ollie losing his **** was entertaining as always. Lots of chances and goalmouth scrambles. Two points out of the last nine at home for us, but, second place sown up, so.... Wouldn’t be too worried heading into the cup final on that account. That game should take care of itself.

Thought the 2nd half wasn't good but I could be looking at it through a Pats fan prism where we until the sending off were awful after the 1st 10 minutes of the half. First half was a belter alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Absolutely, but when there are as many red cards in games he refs, there are bound to be deserved ones in there.

An average of a red card every five games is the usual. He has had four red cards in three games in the last month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

No surprise. Shams have always considered themselves unique. They are but not for the reason they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Half time.

i know somebody will have have the right story, but weren’t Dundalk refused the Aviva on a Thursday because the ground was needed on a Friday for kicking practice and the ground couldn’t be turned around in one day? Or has’ technology ‘ improved’ that much in a few years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Its finished 1-1 in Longford, so a straightforward scenario for Harps next weekend. Beat Longford at Finn Park and they'll avoid the playoff (barring a 9 goal win for Waterford against Pats)

• Advertisement

Some finish to the Women's National League tonight. Peamount threw away a two goal lead to lose 5-2 to Galway and let Shels into win the league. with a 3-2 win over Wexford in which Shels were 3-0 up at one stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think that was the reason given at least. They just didn't want them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

I ended up a bit distracted at times during the game so disappointed if we started it and fair enough! Even if one player does it you'd like to see someone else on the team do the right thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That was with the background noise of Peak6 looking to buy into the FAIs share in the national stadium. The IRFU rightly told them to get Fooked. Imagine that crowd having anything to do with Landsdowne Road. They're grand stumping up cash at Wolves or Roma but they couldnt run a bath. The whole thing had the absolute minimum to do with Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Who thinks Jack Byrne should be playing League Two ?

Probably about his level. He's not particularly well at any club he's played for other than Rovers, and even then generally it's against teams in the bottom half of the league.

Ya there's a certain amount of romanticising about Byrne. A good player at a certain level but he doesn't have that consistency to operate in the top 2 tiers in England for example.

There's been hype around this chap for the past 5 or 6 years going back to his City youth days and he's done feck all to justify it.

He was in the shop window at Shams and even getting international caps and no club in the whole of Europe could be bothered paying any money for him or putting a decent deal on the table. The best he could get was a basket case Cypriot club who paid over the odds in wages and just paid him to leave after 9 months of a 2 and a half year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Joey O'Brien confirmed now for a coaching role at Shels.

Won't be that big of a loss on the pitch any more, but a huge one off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

We should really re-name this the "We all hate Rovers (Shams) thread"..... The constant invective against Rovers is a complete joke.Yes some of the fans are yobs,Bradley can be a bit hard to take and winning the league two years in a row is downright unforegiveable.The Bohs pundits getting stuck into Danny are forgetting that he stayed on the pitch and got pelted by the morons in the DKelly stand.We will take criticism of our lot from anyone....but certainly not from Phibsborough.God helps us all if Rovers go and win the three in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll buck the trend then, Byrne was a class act and would love to see him sign for Derry!

Rovers are the best team in the LOI .As Alex Ferguson might say ‘ there’snodoutaboutha’

just to even it up, Dundalk Were greatest ever team in the LOI.

😀 Ian Wright kept referring to Northern Ireland as ‘Ireland’ 😀

FWIW I though NI should have won to tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Danny Mandroiu to Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not up to Doherty to give the ball back if the ref stops it, the ref should restart the game with whoever has the ball. Dunleavy was lying on the 6 yard box after getting smashed in the face with the ball, there was no way the ref couldn’t stop it.

The only consistency in the Championship is financial doping via parachute payments, mismanagement and points deductions. Points deductions from clubs for mismanagement are a regular thing now (Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan and long awaited punishment for Reading to come) and half the league wth a manager under a year in the job with an average tenure of a year with more on the chopping block.

If you're looking at Bristol City last week and can't see or are not bothered by what a Byrne type player could do with a lead (twice) and man advantage at any level and just how bad they were at it, then it's on them, not him.

• Advertisement

Some championship clubs go for broke trying to get back into the Premier League. Some LOI clubs go for broke to try and get through a few qualifying rounds in Europe. That's football. Championship clubs are operating in a different universe to any level Byrne has played consistently at.

No one can say for sure if Byrnes up to Championship because all he has is 4 games at the level but the facts dont look good. Chiefly, no manager at that level or a comparable level around Europe showed any decent interest in him the two times he's been a free agent over the past 12 months.

I remember similar smoke being blown up Towells hole when he was pumping goals past Harps and UCD. He was sure to be a Premier League player, was the goal scoring midfielder Ireland needed, nailed on cert to get 50+ caps etc etc. In the end he's 30,back in the LOI, no caps and left England because no one above League 2 would have him.

Would love Byrne to prove me wrong and I'll enjoy watching him in the LOI but some need a reality check on what a 25 year old Jack Byrne is capable of at this stage.

Byrne possibly doesn't seem to have one of or a combination of the temperament, attitude, or mentality to succeed in a full-time top level league. His time in Scotland, England and Cyprus are all batted away by fans of his but the fact is top players don't need excuses.

It's not the odd Championship club going for broke. It's €3bn over ten years, it's enormous sustained losses. The decision making on and off the pitch in large parts of the league is appalling from mad owners to transfers to squad development to manager appointments. Forest have a manager every few months. Birmingham lost points for continued losses over three years. They've not been near promotion for years, Derby were in trouble for selling Pride Park to themselves for inflated prices as did Wednesday for Hillsborough. If that happened here to huge established clubs, there would be GreatestLeagueintheWorld hashtags and everybody would be cringing...

Towell went to Brighton under Hughton. It's a perfect example of a terrible fit, a risk averse manager who spent millions on attackers who he got nothing out of. Brighton went 12 hours without scoring under him, I wonder how a goalscoring midfielder went backwards.

There's no point in helicoptering a player into any number of rubbish squads like Hull, Bristol City, Barnsley or Peterborough, they're not built for a playmaker and then say "see it didn't work" or use their transfer decisions as a yardstick for ability. I mean he's good but he can't work miracles.

He's 25, but he equally doesn't have anything to prove either. If he's here in the LOI winning trophies, playing well and happy, he's still a top player. Is Ronan Finn a top player?

Post edited by dfx- on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nearly as worse a kept secret as Duff coming in as manager :D

Seems JOB is very well regarded so looking forward to it - just need to sign a few players now instead of letting them all out the door...

Whats your definition of a top player? Ronan Finn will probably go down as one of the best the league has had. But the LOI is a part time league ranked among the minnows in the coefficients with a majority of grounds that haven't changed much since the 70s and 80s.

Byrne doesnt have anything to prove? What exactly has he proven? All hes proven so far is he can play for relegation fodder in the Eredivisie (just not well enough for any of them to be interested since), Oldham and Shams. The chap has everything to prove and nothing but a majority of failures behind him.

You're correct the championship clubs being reckless financially but it's all chasing the step up. Same as most LOI clubs do at one stage or another.

My issue with the smoke around Byrne is, if you question his flops? Managers fault. Question why no championship club wanted him? Whole league is a basket case playing hoofball. The verbal gymnastics people go through for Byrne is fairly impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Whatever about your opinion of Jack Byrne, I think the vast majority of LOI fans would have him at their club in a heartbeat. His ability at that level is exceptional & that'll do me if he ever does re-sign for Rovers.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

The league has always had players that, for some reason or another, haven't made it to the top level of english football and, apparently, "failed to achieve their potential".

I'm following LoI football for nearly 45 years and, off the top of my mind, players like Martin Murray, Barry Kehoe, Liam Coyle & Tony Sheridan spring to mind.

All fabulous players at LoI level but you always thought they had it to grace a higher level.

Byrne is a superb LoI player, the best that I have seen for a long time. He is a joy to watch at times. He seems a bit of a homebird and sometimes playing at home gets the best out of a player. But you can't say that he has achieved his potential by being a great LoI player. Paul McGrath wouldn't be Paul McGrath if he'd stayed at Pats or Seamus Coleman at Sligo.

They did prove it at a higher level.

But Rovers supporters won't care. And neither would I if Drogheda had Jack Byrne in our team.

But he isn't as good as Barry Kehoe or Liam Coyle. Those two were outstanding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wasn't around to see either of those two you mention at the end but Jack is easily the best player I've seen in the league. He's won a title, cup, got international caps and generally seemed happy at Rovers. He will probably be the best paid player in the league and presumably got a healthy payoff from APOEL. You can't blame him for going back to Rovers, as a Rovers and a LOI fans I'll be delighted to see him back. But as an Ireland fan I would have loved to see him kick on and become a regular in the national team. He's good enough IMO but there's obviously something there that has made it not work out at numerous clubs. Their loss is Rovers gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Christmas comes early for the hoops if so!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Undoubtedly one of the best players in the league of Ireland over the last 10 years, not particularly happy to see him back purely because he will make Rovers stronger. The ridiculous shimmy he does before a set piece annoys the hell out of me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Some decent players at Rovers now that can't play on the same team. Wonder if the rumours of Mandroiu to Celtic have any truth

I'm heading to Tallaght tomorrow evening for the first time in a few seasons.

Is it still ok to park in the carpark in The Square on a match evening?

Yes. Get your ticket validated in by the cinema then for a set price of a few euro.

Cheers pal.

Do I get a ticket validated at the cinema desk even if I'm not attending the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Yeah, I think the cinema has closed. But there's a table set up there on match nights to validate tickets. 2 euro covers parking for as long as you need. Park up and validate the ticket before the game, then wander over to the stadium is my tip.

Thanks folks, appreciate that!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement