Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

It is hard to conduct an objective analysis of the harm done by portraying woman abusers and sexual predators as victims heroes and martyrs, I fully agree here. But one obvious truth is that BLM riots resulted in more deaths than the deaths that were the cause of protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Blast this forum, I cant see how to edit quoted text lol.

Nope Im not about to loose my ****. I asked a genuine question about the trial. So if there is no proof that he is racist and/or a white supremacist then are you ok with the mainstream media labelling him as that?

Ive been wondering since the story broke, Biden called him a white supremacist recently, Im just curious whether he actually is. Because if he is a genuine neo nazi headcase type then that might help explain the fervour in getting him convicted that certain groups are displaying.

Do you think that most people against the premise of BLM in any way are racist? That's an incredible claim to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You say that like there aren't sitting members of congress currently under active investigation for sexual predator acts and the last President actively bragged about sexually assaulting women and yet the systems that exist today (both in terms of mindset and operational) allowed this to happen.

Which deaths were the cause of the protests? George Floyd? Breonna Taylor? Sandra Bland?

Or was it the hundreds of people who have died at the hands of police over recent decades? And the fact that aside from the deaths, the targeting, the prejudice that many Black People have experienced since they were old enough to pay attention to how institutions treated them.

Firstly, I am bit wary of the 'no proof someone is racist' angle because for some, proof would be irrefutable evidence of them using language such as the N word or member of an organisation which has explicit racial ideology. But that, as happens on here (I am certain of that on some occasions) allows people to absolve themselves from such an accusation, claiming, 'There's no proof and really there is none of this irrefutable proof because that is very easy to avoid.

Secondly, lets just analyse that final statement for a second to make sure it is clear what is being said. The statement I posted was (Key piece highlighted in bold);

I'm not saying Rittenhouse is a racist. He could be, I do believe a huge number of those against the premise of BLM in any way are, but I don't know if he is.

What I meant by that is that those who think there is zero justification for the BLM cause, they will not entertain any argument suggesting it is an appropriate movement. I was not and am not suggesting that anyone who has any singular objection to the movement is racist. Those who do think there is no singular justification for it whatsoever, yes, I believe they are racist.

And I expect many will respond to this with the disclaimer 'I think they have a reason, they should just go about it differently' and to that I would say, fine, but if the vast majority of your posts are arguing against the ideal of the movement, and aside from such simplistic disclaimers thrown in once every couple weeks, then I personally won't be too quick to buy that. And no, that doesn't mean I will brand that person as a racist. Twice on this platform in all my time here have I written specifically that I think another poster is racist. I never been cautioned or warned for doing so.

None of these problems will be solved by turning people like George Floyd and the rest of the criminals into saints and martyrs. Or by the collective blaming of the police and white people and state institutions. Or by rioting and looting. BLM had made the problems worse, and as I said, that's what they need in order to justify their existence.

• Advertisement

Virtually the exact same thing was said about civil rights activists in the 60's.

This is from a letter from 8 white clergymen to civil rights activists.

Just as we formerly pointed out that "hatred and violence have no sanction in our religious and political traditions," we also point out that such actions as incite to hatred and violence, however technically peaceful those actions may be, have not contributed to the resolution of our local problems. We do not believe that these days of new hope are days when extreme measures are justified in Birmingham…

We further strongly urge our own Negro community to withdraw support from these demonstrations, and to unite locally in working peacefully for a better Birmingham. When rights are consistently denied, a cause should be pressed in the courts and in negotiations among local leaders, and not in the streets. We appeal to both our white and Negro citizenry to observe the principles of law and order and common sense.

Note, MLK's response to this, 'A letter from a Birmingham jail' and is known as one of the most historical relevant documents by a political prisoner is being targeted in some places as something which should not be discussed thought in schools as traditionalists run scared of the concept of CRT which few understand.

There were absolutely right, hatred and violence have no place in the society, if only BLM and their supporters were listening.

If the subjugation of people from Black Communities hadn't happened in systemic fashion, and if people from these same communities weren't still being excessively and prejudicially targeted, there might be some logic in your answer. But neither of those situations is the case.

Pity all people don't hold the police to the same standard they demand from those who have suffered.

Thanks for explaining your statement.

Back to the accusations of Rittenhouse being called a racist/white supremacist. So I take it from your answer that there is no proof against Rittenhouse. Yet he has been labelled with these horrible terms by the POTUS and the press. Are you ok with the mainstream media labelling him as such?

I'm perfectly fine with the media, and others expressing suspicion about anyone who choses to align themselves with unsavory groups or ideologies. Did the media actually call him such, or say that he associated with those who are. There is quite a difference.

If it is ok for some to denounce the entirety of the BLM movement because a tiny percentage of those who attended protests engaged in violence, then they should be ok with suggesting that someone who aligns themselves with groups or individuals who have racist intentions being identified as such.

Which do you think is worse, suggesting someone is a racist because they are closely aligned with some with racist views? Or not identifying that someone is identifying with those who are known to hold racist views?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Pretty clear cut example here how the media paints stories in a particular way.

Genuine question, how do you think police and the media would react if at a future march on a state legislative house or something by 'patriots', a black teen from out of state turns up with an assault rifle they don't own and claims to be there to act as something which he is neither qualified nor hired to do?

The equivalent story you're looking for is the one of white criminals shot dead by the police, you know, the kind that doesn't make the news because its not newsworthy. Even when there might be a racist angle if the cop is not white.

Can you not answer my question first? Am I to presume that you are good with a 17 year old being labelled a white supremacist by the mainstream media with no proof that he is?

Bit like the attention given to missing children/females from different races you might think?

That aside, it's messed up when police are killing people excessively and yet some still don't think there needs to be any sort of police reform, no?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

93% of protests which were peaceful and passed off without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It was that 7% putting in the hard work, grinding away to cause the ~2 billion dollars worth of damage.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So fringe elements of a peaceful movement deserve to tar the entire movement with the same brush?

How would you feel if I tarred you with the same brush as people who don't support but who align themselves with a similar cause to you?

I'm not saying the violence was right. Anyone who committed those atrocities deserves to be arrested and locked up, but your attempt to deflect attention from the fact that BLM is a peaceful movement isn't going unnoticed.

• Advertisement

BLM is a peaceful movement

You mean a 93% peaceful movement. They are also fully responsible for the 7% violent movement and all the aftermath of their violence.

Well apart from the instigators from the right who were amongst them, not to mention the police who used violence to provoke the crowds in many, many instances.

Also, in 2017, NY paid $300M+ to claimants who had suffered police brutality. That's one city, one year. Still think the people asking for fair treatment are the problem?

BLM is not about changing anything. It is a grift, pure and simple. Stoking outrage and violence, targetting individuals and companies that do not support them.. Just look at all the corporate donations to BLM then look how it is mainly small family/individual run businesses that dont pay the protection money that get destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BLM was a summer of rich White kids and inner city gang members burning down and looting thousands of mostly black owned businesses.

It will take years for the communities to recover.

False

Quick Take

Posts on social media repeat an error reported by Lou Dobbs on Fox Business in July, claiming that major corporations were donating large sums of money to Black Lives Matter. The companies have pledged support for racial equality initiatives, but haven’t specified Black Lives Matter as a beneficiary.

Full Story

Bogus claims about major corporations donating hundreds of millions of dollars to Black Lives Matter have been circulating on social media, but they appear to be based on faulty reporting by Fox News host Lou Dobbs in July.

Dobbs showed a list purporting to include “Fortune 500 companies who’ve pledged to BLM” during the July 16 edition of his show on the Fox Business Network. The list claimed that Bank of America would give $1 billion; PepsiCo, $400 million; Walmart, $100 million; Apple, $100 million; and Comcast, $100 million.

Stop using Fox News as factual outlet.

Yeah, and the civil rights movement was nothing but a collection of hippies.

You're right about it taking years for communities to recover. Decades of redlining and under resourcing of Black Communities is strong evidence of that isn't it.

no protection payment to an organisation goes directly.. it always goes through intermediaries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I see a video online of Kyle punching a girl in the head.

Not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Verdict coming this week?

• Advertisement

Oh ffs. Here is what you wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with the media, and others expressing suspicion about anyone who choses to align themselves with unsavory groups or ideologies. Did the media actually call him such, or say that he associated with those who are. There is quite a difference.

The media weren't "expressing suspicion". From the off, they were calling him a white supremacist, after all if you arent with BLM you are against them. And if you are against them you are a nazi/white supremacist. I hope he sues left right and centre. I still l haven't seen any proof against him.

Advertisement