Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 round 19: Brazil GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

If Hamilton is DQ'd from qualifying as a result of the infringement, the world championship is over.

Knowing the FIA as we do, there will be plenty of commercial interests involved also.

I would also assume that Mercedes are arguing that Lewis' wing was "tampered" with by Max touching it in Parc Ferme.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,227 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Max is a bit of an idiot for touching the car. Like, of course it muddies the waters. Not that I think he actually tampered with Lewis car, but if you were a lawyer you'd argue they can't rule it out.

Plus, touching each others cars is surely prohibited. Otherwise you'd have mechanics "just touching" each others cars all the time and spending millions figuring out how to "just touch" a car and slow the opponent down.

Touching the car, Max? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

I was wondering how the FIA would worm their way out of it. Looks like this is the angle they’re taking.

They'll be doing whatever they can to get out of it or ar least balance the penalty somewhat. The latter races, Saudi and Abu Dhabi will be on the phone putting pressure on. They don't wantca dead rubber championship at their race. They want a close finish at their race and Lewis stating from the back decreases the chances of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ridiculous from Max, it’s a thing that would have been forgotten about but now they’ll be all over it.

It shouldn’t be used as an excuse to soften Lewis penalty though. Both should be given whatever the penalty is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I don’t think the politic runs that deep! They’ll apply the necessary penalties as lightly as the rules allow and be done with it! Lewis’ looks fairly cut and dry but what’s the penalty for touching a car? Is there one?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

If it’s DQ penalty can they just exclude Lewis from P2 or would the times from Qualy be deemed invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Given the evidence of what Max did in that video, it would almost certainly be a very stern warning in any other case.

If we're following the letter of the law then Lewis should be DQ'd from the session and Max should get a very stern warning.

A few races ago when Norris was let off for crossing the pit entrance completely going against all precedent I mentioned this was worrying as they’re basically giving themselves carte blanche to apply the rules completely arbitrarily, usually driven by political and financial reasons rather than sporting ones.

In this case you have a car that commentators mentioned had a significant straight line speed advantage in DRS zones. Everyone put it down to the engine though it is now clear that an illegal rear wing helped. When a car doesn’t meet the technical regulations, which are black and white and mathematical, that’s an exclusion. There is no way out of it.

Max inspecting the car in park ferme is nothing new, drivers do it week in and week out. If you google the inspector Seb meme you’ll find loads of pictures of him putting his hand on other cars. Other drivers do it all the time too though there’s no easy searchable meme. It would be totally unprecedented to penalise this and would really make further mockery of the FIA if they try to fix the race in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine Mercedes-Benz are offering to pay as big a fine as the FIA want in lieu of grid penalties because it was their f__K up and Lewis has done nothing wrong.

And I don't want to see Hamilton lose the championship on a technicality. I want him to get so tantalising close and get it snatched away in the cruellest way possible. I want him to be able to do everything he can and for it to be not enough.

• Advertisement

It’s not a technicality, though, it’s an illegal setup. There’s no way they can not punish him as far as I can see.

As far as Max goes, he should get whatever the precedent is for touching a car(how ridiculous does that sound!)

If he gets a harsher penalty than has ever been given or Lewis gets a lesser penalty because of that then it’s a total mockery of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No wonder Lewis was putting in blazing fast Sector 3 times yesterday with his wide open DRS beyond the maximum allowed. Anything less than a DQ from the session will be a disgrace.

Remember when all these drivers got penalised? No?

Call it what you like. It's important to me that Lewis loses this championship on the track and not in the stewards office.

So you're ok that he can run an illegal DRS and gain an unfair advantage?

So let Mercedes’ break the rules then and hope RB can still win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

My own opinion of the things we know to date is: The FIA know that mercedes are guilty. They also know that mercedes will try to implicate Max in their defence of any decision. I think that the only reason Max has been summonsed at all is so that the FIA can rule him OUT as any factor in their decision on mercedes, thus leaving whatever decision they do make about the wing to be exclusively about mercedes, and to not allow mercedes to try and rely on Max interfering with their wing as a defence. If they didn't properly investigate Max touching the merc, I would say that could possibly add credibility to merc using that as a defence.

If the rumours about red bull reporting the merc wing to the FIA are true, I would imagine that they knew about this earlier than qualifying. The team can't get up close to have a look, but their driver can. I think they told max to have a good look at the wing to confirm their suspicions. Max was on reconnaissance mission there, not deciding to have a look for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

We're those drivers touching the car outside the Parc ferme time window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

I'll be happy as long as he loses it.

In the pre qualifying interview with Horner never said there increase in speed was from the new engine he said every 1 knows why I wounder did he no then something was up

That's exactly what I'd have thought. Everyone just knows not to touch each others' cars so it never arises. Stern warning and downing a bottle of cop-yourself-on, is probably the protocol.

Lewis would surely be a DQ from quali. So he'd start the sprint from last and if he gets to 10th in the sprint he's have the 5 place grid penalty for the race. So he'd still start the race in 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

It doesn't matter whether this is the 19th or 1st race. Illegal is illegal. Example of unfair twists being Bottas' Hungary torpedo on Max, just as relevant now as it was at the time

He can't if Mercedes can cheat with impunity. The commentators yesterday were saying it was very surprising how far ahead Hamilton was, now we know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no excuse for Merc. Hamilton has to lose times.

Merc probably using something like a broken stop tab to allow wing to travel too far and redbull were on to them.

The incident with noris crossing the pit entrance had the term "Force majeure" involved. Unless there was force majeure involved then I don't really see a comparison.

Max touched the car and then complained about that exact part of the car. If you were Mercedes lawyer, what would you argue?

Those rear wings are subject to massive forces when the cars are driving. To argue Max could've altered it in those few seconds to the point that the geometry of the wing was significantly affected would be very silly. Not that that will stop Merc trying it on.

Of course Mercedes will try it on. All they need to do is muddy the waters, not prove Max interfered with it or caused the infringement.

We'll just have to see how it works out.

When Mercedes-Benz get away with it and when Max still hands their arses to them on a plate it will be oh so much more sweeter. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I suppose even if for some reason Merc get away with it! They’ll surely have to adjust the wing to make sure it’s compliant, meaning that straight line advantage they had yesterday is wiped away anyway!

Advertisement