Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This indicates that the ONLY way out of this situation,is for Humans to cease being HUMAN ?

From the moment of birth,when we,as infants are grasped tightly by our mothers,our ENTIRE lives will revolve around contact,physical.mental.emotional...call it as you see it.

The extistence being proposed and actively supported by the CMO and a ,by now,thoroughtly frightened cohort flies totally in the face of Humanity.

What the Covid Public Health Emergency (which it WAS at one point) has now become is a multi faceted opportunity for a group of proffessional Administrators and mediocre Politicans to secure and develop a new and far more all encompassing method of Governance.

We as humans have always interacted with "Vulnerable" people....we have in our own lifetimes qften been "Vulnerable" ourselves,and had to get on with living in often challenging situations,some (Most) of us survived,perhaps with wounds or damage to our systems,but went on to live normal,productive lives...and long may that continue.

Randomly broadening the definition of "Vulnerable",whilst coincidentally convincing normal,largely healthy people,that they are casting pestilence & death in their wake if they stir outside their door is a recipe for the collapse of the very civilization level that now has a life expectancy and general health level FAR beyond that of our ancestors.

Just as with Climate Change "activists",who blithely discount the HUGE improvements made possible in our everyday lives by the Internal Combustion Engine or the Improvements in how we use fossil fuels for the greater good of modern humanity,we need to get people somehow or other back to living their lives realistically and reasonably sustainably.

What we are seeing now,in a very broad sense is the abandonment of Reason.🤔

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

What you you call all the brave hero's who rose up against the British Empire? You're a shambolic mess. Log off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think a barstool somewhere might be missing their idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

A lot of barstools are since the covid cert requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolute fools with money to burn obviously. Why in gods name would you bother testing yourself if you'd no symptoms.

Someone posts about being cautious around vulnerable people by doing a quick antigen test...and you spew that ^^^ onto the page?! Breakdown of society?! FFS. Get a grip.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

That's not the point. I don't care about me getting sick with COVID-19, I'll likely be fine unless I'm extremely unlucky (like 1 in a million). However I can spread it asymptomatically to people who are in age groups that have far higher odds of severe outcomes even though everybody is vaccinated.

It's impossible to know if you're a close contact of an infection without testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

In Ireland state TV had a contributor (the idiots name escapes me) on prime time call for unvaccinated to be denied entry into supermarkets and shops to buy food, that would not happen in the UK because they would be laughed out of the TV studio and rightfully ridiculed as twits. The nodding dogs on prime time where all in agreement that's how mentally deranged this country have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

What we are seeing now,in a very broad sense is the abandonment of Reason.

There are reasonable odds that if an 80 year old in my life is infected, they could have a severe outcome even though vaccinated. I can't know if I'll infect them without testing.

I agree generally with your post but I think it's sensible to be pragmatic given issues with hospital capacity. I wont continue testing once I know there are effective therapeutics, or proper vaccines that prevent infection, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

No. Perish the thought.

According to the Financial Times. Seems Pfizer jacked up the price because their product is sooo much better than the others.

But guessing Minister Donohoe was jumping for joy at the thought of Revenue maybe getting just a wee cut of that 40+ Billion Euro, in corporation tax (that's assuming the new contract is payable in Dublin again and there's anything left after a wee touch of shifty “leprechaun economics”).

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Well...considering that the north is part of the UK, then yes, it would happen in the UK. The BBC are just a bad as RTE. The Stephen Nolan show, has, for months, been trying to put pressure on the executive to make vaccines mandatory for HCWs and to make vax passes necessary for entrance into pubs and nightclubs. He was even spouting about it one morning saying that they're required for pubs and nightclubs in the south, why can't we do it here (the north). He hadn't done his research as nightclubs weren't even open in the south at the time. There's loads of people that confidently post in here saying that this isn't happening anywhere else...it is. Just because you haven't heard it for yourself doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Post edited by Penfailed on

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Irish people have a lot of positive traits, but by god we are some of the most servile, submissive race of people on the planet. We’ve just replaced the Catholic Church and their teachings with the likes of NPHET and public ‘health’ advice. Calling up in tears that someone went to Spain is the same as Bridget ringing up the parish priest saying Mary didn’t go to mass last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

How do you know those unvaccinated who were hospitalised with covid contracted covid before going to hospital? That is surely important to know and I am guessing, given the epidemic in hospitals at the moment, that many of those in hospitals who caught covid caught it in hospital. It is not a given that unvaccinated covid patients in hospitals caught covid outside of hospital, which translates to the ineffectiveness of restrictions on the general public when the big problem is the staff and practices in hospitals.

Joe O'Shea is his name, I think.

And even if something similar happened in England we know for certain that there would be pushback from Talk Radio, GB News, The Telegraph, Maajid Nawaz, Peter Hitchens, Lord Sumption, Unherd etc. Or at least they would put forward an alternative viewpoint.

In the US Fauci is regularly summoned to be questioned by various Senators. Dr. Rand Paul regularly trades blows with him. Ireland's equivalent has never once been questioned about anything. Ireland really suffers for the lack of conservative viewpoints and media balance. But the appetite just isn't there, unfortunately.

One or two randomers, does not a country make.

If you really think it's just one or two randomers at this stage in the game then your either wilfully ignorant or unknowingly part of the problem. I'd suggest trying to get yourself over to England at some stage if you can and then come back and tell me with a straight face that what is 'going on' in this country is any way normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The Irish medias abject lack of balance has been an issue for a good 10 years or so, particularly so in the last few years. It should of been nipped in the bud years ago, yet there was no general will to do so. Somehow the Irish people never thought that it was even a bit odd that every talking head in the media had the exact same views. Instead, Paddy assumed that they must all be right because they all share the same views. In my opinion, that's the whole point, to create a false consensus that will sway people to the side of the false consensus.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

And given Nolan’s size he should be worried about himself instead of whats going on down here

What, specifically, is 'going on' in this country that has got you so worked up? Part of what problem?

• Advertisement

He should be very worried. He's a walking heart attack.

The BBC are indeed as bad as RTÉ. Actually RTÉ are probably a bit worse. But the difference between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is the DUP. The DUP are the opposition up there (I have been disappointed, however, by how they've gone along with all the lockdowns. I didn't think they would) and the mentality in the North is different. They're more relaxed up there from my experience of being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

The numbers are very high for positive tests and if they continue to grow and hospitalisations and deaths grow too it will really be a disaster for this government and the medical professionals who have pushed COVID restrictions, lockdowns, vaccines, etc

this is a ticking time bomb not just for Ireland but across the world

if it becomes apparent that lockdown is the only thing that keeps this virus at bay, and governments lock down again we are looking at complete social unrest across Ireland and Europe that I think will turn very violent and could lead to war.

if you look at history, it takes very little to start a war

we all must be careful with our rhetoric and our actions

It's the main reason why Ireland continues to be so extreme in terms of covid. There's no room for debate. No alternative viewpoints allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Apologies if I didn`t make it clear.

My point was that in relation to those vaccinated and unvaccinated who may have caught it in hospital, unless we know the numbers for both then it does not make much difference where they actually caught it.

Seeing as we know that those vaccinated have a much lesser risk if they do become infected of serious illness or death, then does it not make sense that to reduce the risk for those that may now becoming infected in hospitals that all hospital staff that may come in contact with hospital patients are vaccinated as well as those visiting hospitals ?

Does that mean you're knowingly part of the problem? Which is worse?

Oh. We're going to war now? This thread is mad sometimes.

If they caught it in hospital it means they weren't in hospital because of covid so therefore the vaccinated /unvaccinated distinction in hospitals is irrelevant. That's the reason for needing to clarify it.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if an actual source or just a kite being flown, but looking like little to no chance of more restrictions being introduced luckily. The Cabinet not panicking or being forced into anything rash because of NPHET. I particularly enjoyed that quote below, putting NPHET back in their box!

Another source voiced how there is a level of frustration at Cabinet level with advice being issued as if it was government policy.

Using the working from home remarks as an example, they said the government is being accused of “mixed messaging”, but pointed out that NPHET recommendations are just recommendations until the Cabinet decides.

Advertisement