Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have an outfarm here. I'd give €8000 for it to do exactly as Bass says. Sit out there and do nothing else only feed clean sheds for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it's in Ireland for a while it may have been imported without paying vat in the UK another reason the registration book went missing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

Very informative few posts there guys. I thought getting a new Irish tax book would be straightforward enough when it would come to registering it.

I wonder if this Landini Ghibli has a similar issue with a missing log book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Only looks to have 1 D/A spool available on it as the 2nd is allocated to the PUH.

It doesn't say on the add so I imagine the book is there but never registered. You have to ring up the tax office a d find out the process and costs.

I think I bought a tractor years back and when you register it in Ireland from abroad you have to pay a years tax. The lad that had it had to do that and was caught by having to fork out for a years road tax. I was not buying it without am Irish registeration book

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Any reports from the bord na mona auction at the weekend?

I logged into the last one during the summer but didnt bother register with the latest auction as there wasn't anything that took my fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

The 1 picture is from a distance so hard to tell condition but with a loader not bad value

If you are interested and have a reg plate for it phone the DVLA in Swansea and they will inform you if they can send you one. It will more than likely be a UK 'Q' plate, but if you are going to register it in the south then you will be getting an Irish reg on it anyway, won't you?

Anyhow, before giving up on one get the reg pate of the tractor and contact Swansea to see if they can send you a new book.

The reg plate may not be the issue. It may have been imported with no vat paid, lads used to bring them accross at Larne and bring them south. I am.judt surprised if it was that easy why the dealer did not do it.

If anybody buys it they would want to make sure they got a detailed receipt showing UK reg and chassis number, not just make and model.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Do you mean VAT or import tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

On the one at home the hitch can be plugged out when not opening/closing, bit of hassle but not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

The problem comes when you need or want the tractor at home for a few jobs or in a field down the road.

Ive an old 165 tgats not registered. Nearly cursing it as it cant be used anywhere bar home.

Have a road registered quad thats the handiest thing in the world to run down the rosd to check cattle , spread a few bags of fertiliser, do a bit of spraying. It wouldnt get the use it does if it had to be loaded onto a trailer to be moved around

It relative to the amount of money spend and the use for it. If you had a large outfarm 70+ acres 10+ miles away a tractor like that would save you an amount of time especially if there was housing for stock on the land. You would still need a tractor for the land at home. You could put any machinery for it spreader, sprayer, bucket, gran on a trailer and carry it there if needed.

You could spread fertlizer, spray land clean sheds load or unload bales there with it if need be. You could even load it on a trailer if you needed a second tractor on the home place for a few days.

You would not be paying 15k for it in that situation

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Valtra must have sold as the ad is gone from DoneDeal! Best of luck to the new owner, hope they knows what they are getting into with it! If they were following this thread they would have got some great pointers.

I still couldnt do it to myself .

It still seems like a lot of bother getting the machinery across to it .

Assuming you have a good trailer to start with, there always seems to be something on the trailer here when you want it or its blocked in , so unload the trailer, load up the piece of equipment you want . Strap it down, then drive on.

Then invariably, what you want is always at the wrong farm.

I'd end up buying 2 of everything .

A friend has nearly exactly the scenario you have described.

120 acre farm taken 30 miles from home. He has an unregistered tractor at the farm as the farm tractor for all the reasons you state above but finds it an aweful drawback not being able to take it on the road.

Simple things like needing to do a run to the coop for cattle nuts .having to bring a trailer constantly for those jobs is annoying

Things that have caught him in the past. Tractor deciding not to start , having to go off and get jump leads or a new battery or a neighbour to tow start him. Tractor running low on diesel and drawing diesel to it in 5 gallon drums. Drums leaking in boot of car and missus giving out constantly about the smell. Tyre flat when he arrived and no compresser to pump it

Main tractor at home bresks down and has to borrow a tractor and low loader to bring home the unregistered tractor to do silage or slurry or to feed cattle.

As he says himself, its an aweful disadvantage not being able to take it on the road. For when he is at silage at home he reckons it would speed up things a huge smount by having the extra tractor available so as not having to be changing over implements constantly slurry too, in a thick tank, constantly swapping over the agitator and tank to take out a few loads of slurry and drawing water in.

We wouldnt have a lowloader here and wouldnt like borrowing stuff .

Ive seen the disadvantages first hand and couldnt do it to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Could ye get a same model from a breaker yard and use that tax book and even change the plate

• Advertisement

I agree with part if what you say, however a lot of it is organisation. I have a 6.5X4 two when trailer, there is never anything left on it, unlike a 4wheel trailer. I can carry anything that will fit in it on it up to 7-800 kgs weight. I have even carried a ton of sand in it.

At times it may make more sense to carry the other tractor with the implement such as the spreader or a mower to top with. It may even make sense to have a few implements over there if you come across them cheap.

On tractor starting some are excellent and some are a disastrous in older tractors. The Fiats seem to have a good name. I had a 675 and invariably you were constantly jumping it. This got me into the habit of always having jump leads near it. Used to start it off the work van. I have two Case tractors now and they always start knock on wood.

Everything like slurry and silage is done by a contractor do 70% of the headache gone. Near me 4-5 years ago a lad bought a farm 15 miles from him. 50acres, he is after putting a shed on it under TAMS. His reasoning being he be running over and back with silage a winter otherwise if she'd was on the home farm. He has an old two wheel drive JD on it that is parked in an old hayshed on the place. It has not left the place in two years. He is trying to source a loader for it to lift odds and ends around the place and it would act as a counter weight for the bales at the rear end.

A lot of stuff is about problem solving and working around.

Slava Ukrainii

Cloning the tractor ?

Ahh people do it but i wouldnt be inclined to.

Firstly its illegal.

Secondly I asked advice from a guard about doing that at one stage , he said its if or when there is an accident you are in trouble , the insurance company do a bit of investigation and refuse to payout as thats not the tractor they have insured. Could get done for fraud.

Thirdly what if someone else had the same idea with the same number plate, old logbooks do turn up. Suddenly 2 tractors on the same plate

Lastly i wouldnt go mentioning doing that here. You could get banned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ya probably could Kev but there is more money in drugs and a similar sentence 🤣

Out of curiosity is the trailer braked.

I have an unbraked 6 x 4 here too. Weights at a guess 200kg. Max she can take legally is 550kg . I can take a ton behind the car with the twin axel ifor i have

The Rsa have a spot on the main road beside us where they are always camped out, any tractor , lorry or car and trailer gets pulled over for an inspection . A share of stuff gets seized with them

Ive taken a ton bag of sand in mine too on a short trip.

Interestingly enough my poor 165 with a bar type quickie loader was just able to lift it off the trailer.

A but of googling later, ton bsgs of sand have 800 to 900kg of sand in them depending on how wet they are.

To be honest, around me there are a fair few big farmers who do all their own baling

Unbraked the sand was illegal but most implements would be under half a ton. Friend went North to collect a bucket for a track machine and that would have been more than likely borderline illegal.

Slava Ukrainii

Tut tut

I know a man that bought a brand new Primera in 1994. He had her 2 weeks and the son hit a railway bridge doing a fair lock. He bought a 1 year old identical one in the UK and put her on the plates of the crashed one. He never had any issue until the NCT arrived. He couldn't sort it and ended up scrapping the car.

He was Lucky he was never in a serious accident. If he was the insurance company would have left him high and dry

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, they were OK. 135/Dexta type performance. Pick up hitch was a poor design, but probably OK for what you'd be pulling. Dry brakes need careful setting up, but again, same with a MF or Dexta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a few ringers about the place prior to nct days. Say there’s half dozen sets of old northern plates in the shed.

dad was always jumping stuff across the border, was very lucrative at times.

Advertisement