Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's times like this I love boards for feedback on things, was thinking about getting it but all the talk of the awful rain is a deal breaker for me. I suppose we'll have to see if they patch it. Seems simple enough to do in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Was playing this last night (PC). The launcher updated this morning, games gone from the rockstar launcher. Bit of a **** show.

Despite all the issues mentioned, I've been having a blast playing GTA3, getting more enjoyment out of it than GTA4 and 5, similar to when it released originally! Doesnt look like ill be playing it today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, playing 3, it's making me want to play 4 again. Just those LC vibes and grim gritty city. I'd definitely like a remaster of 4 (might actually wait for reviews before purchase this time though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just requested a refund on PC.

The only way they’ll stop this stuff is if it hurts them financially

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Getting into playing Gta3 properly now.

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be an inordinate amount of traffic pile ups at crossroads/intersections?

I only played the original in the last week and it definitely wasn't a feature previously. It seems like every intersection I drive towards there's cars smashing into each other or blocking each other and honking like mad.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The mission turismo in gta 3 is really hard because of the rain ! Can’t see a thing lol

Post edited by Dr. Bre on

In SA the trick for getting burglar done using the last 2 houses on the left at the end of Carl's street still works. I actually went and did all the spray tags just to have weapons at the house. It's annoying though as some missions give you certain weapons and will replace a currently held one with an inferior one of the same type.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Played a bit of San Andreas on my friends gamepass and while it's alright I'm relieved I didn't pre-order. I prefer the 'original' PS2 version I have on PS5, and those games only cost me $5 each on the store.

€60 is overpriced for what it is. As already said it's mostly AI upscaling with very little QC done. Very, very poor from Rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Trigger the start after the race just after the rain stops - it's less than three mins to finish so probably won't rain again until you complete it. Just make sure you have fast car - see @Zero-Cool's recommendation. It was always hard but I think it's much easier compared to the original.

There was definitely a rose tinted element to these games but people forget how difficult the original III was with its controls and playing on a CRT. It was the hardest of the 3D series but much easier now from what I have played so far although the second island awaits.

-Vice City was a breeze bar the mini copter mission

-San Andreas had one semi tricky train mission and the optional Zero one with the plane which was horrid

-IV and V were so forgiving you could complete them without any degree of frustration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Mafia Sentinel served me well in the Turismo race. Decently fast car, but solid and not janky so it handles well. Didn't know about the time limit for the trophy but it popped anyway. Won in 17(something) seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just made it to San Fierro. The hippy is nuts. And that crazy hispanic girlfriend. I was also in a car race and went completely the wrong way and was looking to restart the mission no way to do it. So I just drove back the way and drove the correct way and still managed to win on my first try. Never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No, vice City at the time of release was absolutely incredible. People basing their opinion on it now, 20 years later is mental.

Keep out of the arena for now, I've seen reports of it crashing Series S/X , seems related to autosave when exiting it. Anything tied to autosave will hard crash the game after that.

Now that is a problem if going for 100% completion, it's possible to leave Blood Bowl for last I think.

Agreed. They had great graphics and controls at the time of release and compared to most other similar games.

That said, this is a shockingly lazy remaster, even by lazy remaster standards. The rain is hilariously bad. I'm half tempted to stop GTA3 and switch to Vice City at this stage.

What's the arena? I forget as it's so long since I played it. Tbh the game just took over really quick as in moving me to San Firerro. There is places in the first city I didn't even visit.

Also I am having flashbacks of driving miles which came back to me after travelling across the map a few times during missions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

So I'm thinking now's a good time to cancel my preorder of the disc version...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

This will get delayed anyway, they have to take out those Lionel Richie songs lol

Also to the post above, these games can still be great even today. There's some stuff in SA that I only now notice in terms of its story progression and mission structure which I really miss in modern games. Just cause they control like **** and these remasters are shite doesn't change that the games underneath are/were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I disagree, I remember getting GTA 3 when it came out and loved it. Vice City felt like a watershed game too with the radio stations, humour and the feeling that you were in a living, breathing place.

Obviously it doesn’t now but it felt so new in 2002 given the context of games at the time. It had huge impact when it came out.

Personally I never had quite the same feeling from any of the GTA games post Vice City.

Going back to play games you loved when you were younger is always tempting but often disappointing as most people well know.

Its a genuine shame that Rockstar have clearly cut a load of corners and put very little thought and effort into this in order to milk even more money out of this franchise, hot on the heels of announcing yet another GTA 5 re-release.

It’s a bit like a beloved, classic band reforming for all the wrong reasons and doing a lacklustre tour and phoning it in. It leaves a bad taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah they've aged badly and even at the time they were total jank fests but that could be forgiven because what they offered was totally unmatched by anything else on the ps2. Gta3 was a totally new experience. VC was a refinement of that and SA was the pinnacle of open world experiences at the time.

The flaws that were always there are certainly way less forgivable now but there's still a lot of fun there as the games are quite ambitious even now. They're like a big mess of ideas and systems that aren't fully fleshed out whereas modern open world games tend to focus on core mechanics.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

So I've been playing GTA III since the Trilogy launched (I'm after cheating my way to 99 hidden packages before starting the 3rd mission, ha! (last package is in an area that is just inaccessible until the lift bridge is operational)) and I've been really enjoying it.

My biggest issues are the stuttery frame rate, disappearing physical objects (the barriers at the start of the Callahan Bridge are often invisible for no reason, but they're still there as you can smack into them) and rain fx.... It's the worst rain effects I've ever seen in a video game. Yes, those are my biggest gripes. Everything else is perfectly fine, though.

I just hope and pray GSG/Rockstar do something to patch it. The issues these games are having are making their way to articles, and I hope reviews from other major sites (IGN etc.) point it out. GSG (Wardrum, at the time) did not fix the 360 port of San Andreas, and it's still buggy to this day. I hope they don't repeat that disregard with this Trilogy. 60 quid is too much money to justify keeping the games in the state they're in without a single fix.

Aside from all of that shite, though, I have been having a lot of fun. It's just a major eyeroll when I run into the aforementioned crap)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The remastered trilogy seems like that all too rare, very special kind of new release: a game where the incoming digital foundry video is more exciting than the game itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wait till you get to the McCaffrey mission for the bent cop... Usually games don't piss me off but I was so enraged by that mission I nearly put the pad through the wall, had to turn it off as it was infuriating, from trying to throw the grenade through the window with the worst aiming mechanics of all time to chasing him around the streets whilst being shot at by Colombians... Used to love GTA3 and all the music but my god it was so frustrating, that brought it all back in spades.

Reminds me of trying to throw the petrol bombs through the windows in SA. Really bad throwing mechanics also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well the lack of trailers and gameplay was damming a week before launch. They obviously knew it wasn't in good shape so didn't show it to get the pre orders in.

Lookin back was foolish of me to think R* might actually do a good job,with these types of remaster titles it always ends up lookin like a quick cash grab. Like one of the most profitable companies in gaming is doing this ****,very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was extremely tempted to pre-order Cyberpunk and have it downloaded and ready to go on launch day. I held off.

I was extremely tempted to pre-order this and have it downloaded and ready to go on launch day. I held off.

I will never ever be tempted again to pre-order a game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agreed. Preordering if there's a discernible bonus to it is one thing, but preordering with absolutely no incentive to is just foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Especially when a company is not showing a game a week or two before launch

• Advertisement
Advertisement