Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Put a little purple in your Nintendo Switch.

Download the Twitch App from the Nintendo eShop today.

Unreal Engine strikes on the switch - again

I seen that posted up earlier but didn't watch it. I might watch it later. I was asking earlier elsewhere where are all the reviews? There's nothing up on Metacritic for any platform. There's little to no Switch footage, certainly none released by Rockstar. The little bits I do hear aren't great. 10% of the music from big artists isn't returning, a borked physical release on Switch, cheats removed due to tech reasons. Maybe it's just me but I find these games ugly, though others are praising them, am I missing something? And one last thing, I did see a Switch video earlier in handheld mode and the pop-in was pretty bad.

While finding that video I see there are more Switch hands-on videos up now on Youtube.

A new Ninji Speedrun course is here for a special occasion! To celebrate the launch of Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda, a special course, “Link’s Lightweight Longshots”, is available now in Super Mario Maker 2 until 11/21 6pm PT.

Air out some arrows & hit all the POW Blocks!

Shin Megami Tensei V — Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

• Advertisement

First Switch review of GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is in.

Few games have had such a lasting impact on how games were made, or have been quite so successful. People who weren’t into games played those three games. Sadly, if they were to pick them up on Switch now, they'd probably wonder if they were ever good in the first place.

The fantastic soundtrack is still mostly intact 

Awful framerate and long load times

Blurry beyond parody 

Crashes and bugs are plentiful

New character models are almost uniformly worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm glad I own them on PS2 and Xbox then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

All versions look to be a mess. I'd be staying clear.

Cross-platform Unreal Engine Development for GTA Trilogy was always going to be a disaster for switch as I had feared

The PS5 is say 10 times the power of a switch (and that's docked).

Add in DLSS which this game has for the consoles that support it and you can double that again as it can double frames per second for the same performance

So cross-platform with a performance capability from 100% to 2000% with a game engine that has mostly produced really bad results on switch - especially where open-world and cross-platform.

There are even problems on the more powerful consoles but they have a hugely higher likelihood of being resolved adequately compared to the switch version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

Very disappointing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Definitely overpriced at €60. Should be €40 max IMO.

I'm still enjoying it because i haven't played these games in years and played the crap out of them when they originally came out. But I think I'd be disappointed if it was my first ever play through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At least all versions seem to be presenting issues, the question will be how willing and available are Rockstar to patching the games? They obviously need work and its entirely possible with some TLC the Switch version could be pulled into shape.

Rockstar farmed it out to a pretty useless third party by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The reviews seems to say it holds up well in handheld mode (which is the only way I would be playing) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd be willing to bet heavily that this was part of the 2021 financial results, it got delayed, and they said to just push it out, and they'll patch later. These are 17+ year old games. They should run perfectly on the Switch.

I did buy it as my son was dying to play San Andreas, and I wouldn't have minded giving Vice City a go again. Only about an hour in (handheld) and it seems okay, but son is saying SA isn't great. I've requested a refund from Nintendo and may repurchase if they fix it. If they don't grant a refund, then I expect it will be patched next year. This model needs to go away though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glad I have these games on the OG Xbox so...

One of the rematsters is on Game Pass and one of them in on PS Now if you have either of those services and want to see what they look like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a comment in a Digital Foundry breakdown so pinch of salt time, but apparently the optimisation is so bad, the rain drop texture is 2048 pixels wide; for a rain drop. So sounds like they could certainly pull things back with judicious optimisation and digging. I guess it just depends on whether there's a willingness - and to do so on all platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The 'unofficial' ports to the vita weren't as janky as this (I don't think) although maybe people were less fussy because they were free.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'd say the brief was very shallow, the oversight nominal and the budget/deadline narrow. That there was enough time and room to migrate to Unreal, do a quick smoke test the game, missions etc actually ran without exploding, and that was good enough for all concerned. Clearly there was no QA department involved - or again, just weren't given the time or money to review the various platforms.

• Advertisement

Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive had to have sat down and looked at these prior prior to launch and said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

---

Funnily enough, I'm currently playing through Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut. Almost finished it, just at the entrance to Risky's underwater lair. It's a good game, for its time. Could do with some QOL improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The "Everyone is here" free update for Dead Cells is out now. This is very cool. 🙂

Dead Cell's Everyone is Here free update is available now for the roguelike metroidvania action platformer game. Watch the trailer for a look at what to expect with the update which brings weapons, skills, and skins from Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Hyper Light Drifter, Guacamelee, Skul, and Curse of the Dead Gods.

I never picked that game up again, after I discovered that being terrible at it meant I didn't enjoy myself.

Must dig out the cart, download the update, and be reminded how sh1t I am at games more complex than Picross

I'm mostly surprised they're STILL releasing new content for it. I played dozens of hours of it on the PC when it was Early Access; it's obviously finished now if it's on Switch but no clue how expansive it is, compared with the version I played.

Oh it's huge. Lots of new biomes, weapons, mechanics.... worth another look.

There are a couple of paid DLC pieces too - worth picking up when they are on sale.

Death's Door hits switch and hits well

€20 for 12 hour or so not over-hard (or too easy - balanced) top-down-2D Zelda-like (e.g. overworld, dungeons, dungeon bosses) in a great setting (without the overly-Saccharine 2D-Zelda Mush tho which is a plus in my book)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Switch is a perfect home for this. It's incredible that a couple of developers produced this game.

• Advertisement

I'm in the second area of Death's Door now. Loving it so far. The reviews are accurate.

Combat is fun, the graphics are lovely and the music is amazing.

Advertisement