Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I wouldn't know myself,but another man said to me recently that " the dairymen are making a fortune this year"

Or maybes you tube are paying good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭straight

You are right on both counts. Dairy farmers are cleaning up and YouTube is a gold mine. Throw the children's allowance on top of that and you have a major accumulation issue...

You forgot the maternity benefit,the paternity benefit sure he’ll be changing the Massey next yr again😂

Maybe it's the merch. I heard he has his children doing the embroidery like slaves....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Found it interesting that he cut out the bit where the camera showed the forks going into the pallet, camera needs to be mounted three feet above the headstock to have a proper view. Would it be big job to mount one of those cameras onto the back of a slurry tank where it could be plugged out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

Gerry 6420 will have a field day with that.

It has to be for you tube if he changes.

After all the work and money he put into that case. New tyres, loader, fixing electrics , clutch and whatever else he has done . If it was me id be thinking of something a little bigger, tgat could take 2 bales on the back and one on the front. As it stands, eithre of his 2 tractors will carry 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thought about doing that myself. I don't think it would be difficult.

There are a number of options now. You can get a battery powered magnetic one which links into your smartphone which would allow you to mount it on any machine easily. Not sure how strong the magnet would be though.

Or you can get a wired one and power it the way I done the rear lights on my tanker - or take a feed from the sidelights although on our tanker it would have been more hassle to break into their sealed wiring to get at power. @emaherx put one on his cattle trailer so he knows the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭emaherx

I got the cheapest wired ones I could find and they have been great. Only the screen needs to be wired into power, the cameras came with pre-wired cables and provide power and video through 4 pin plugs. Can't remember how long cables are but long enough for an 18ft trailer with plenty to spare.

I avoided anything wireless as interference can be an issue especially with cheap stuff.

The only issues with mine are:

The built in IR is no use but could easily be solved with some reverse lights,

Reversing towards a low Autumn sun can make image unusable, wing mirrors can be pretty useless then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I could never understand why trailers don't have reversing lights. I have a 14' flat trailer that I mostly use to draw round bales of hay/straw. My brother fitted a led light on the rear which I can manually turn on/off from the lorry cab. It makes it so much easier to see where your reversing too at night. I was watching a guy reversing a 40' trailer at a garage the other night and he had to get two lads to guide him because the forecourt lights didn't shine where he was reversing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d say the majority of lorry men would have them fitted by now, especially walking floor or tipper trailers where you will nearly always have to reverse before unloading. A bit different with a curtain sider or flat bed trailer that would generally be unloaded from the side although you would see them with reverse lights fitted too.

It’s not really possible with jeep trailers as majority of jeep’s/cars/vans aren’t wired for reversing lights although this is changing now with the slow move to the 13 pin plug instead of the 7 pin. It is possible to have reverse lights with the 13 pin plug.

Something I have considered that might work, although I never got the time to try it out yet, is to fit an led spot light to the back of a jeep trailer and wire it to the blue wire for fog lights. When reversing turn on the fog lights on the jeep and the spot light should light up behind. I know with a cattle trailer you would have the glare of the fog lights on the jeep shining on the front of the trailer and maybe reflecting back in the mirror so I don’t know if it would block your vision or not but I must try it some day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

You were still only seeing the back of the headstock where he mounted it. A bit of a pointless addition where he mounted it if you ask me. Would have been better mounting it on the roof facing down to the front of the forks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If you were doing any bucket work in a field you wouldn't be able to see if the edge was digging into the sod. He probably cut out showing the forks on the screen going into the pallet for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

He's a gas man. How many times has he talked about how great the Case is and why would anyone ever need a newer or bigger tractor, and it was the best thing since slice bread. Next minute he's getting rid 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Suckler

Makes no sense unless someone is making him a silly offer. The money gone in to it of late; New tyres/dash repair/loader/radiator(?)/exhaust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

Be interesting to see what he goes for and how much bigger/newer it’ll be🤔 he’s some man for one man to change his 2 tractors the one year and everything else he’s done off the back of 50ish cows

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

I’d bet a small loader/telehander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

You have a similar number of subscribers and similarish numbers of weekly views. You should have a good idea of his revenue on Youtube (and sponsoring).

is he overspending?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Dairy farmers are minted lads, milk at 40c a litre - it's been years since prices were this good. They don't where to spend all the money and I'd say that Youtuber is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

I’d have a rough idea what he’d be getting out of it and I can guarantee you he ain’t doing it off the back of YouTube.

wherever the money is coming from it’s his business but I do get it hard to watch his video and not be a bit jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I would reckon his better half has a decent job so there’s probably no requirement for money from the farm aswell as maybe low - no borrowings for land or facilities

but with his production model of calving cows in December and not out till late March and silage quality av enough I couldn’t see his figures being to stellar tbh

in a previous life my parents had 50 cows and my mother an off farm job and they had a very good standard of living

Keep the head down Phil and keep at it

yourself and Tom pemberton would be my 2 favourite youtubers

down to earth and hard working, it’s starting to pay off for Tom now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A Merlo Multifarmer is what most farms should have. Loader and tractor combined into one. The principle anyway, not sure about the quality of the Merlo electrics.

I'd imagine that taking over 2 bales on the case would test it. I'd prefer to have 2 on back instead of one on each end. If he sells I think he'll go for a fresh massey with loader.

TBH I find Tom a bit hard to listen to at times, a bit too giddy. Been interesting to watch his shed go up though.

Great to see you get up a new bin Phil. Looks a great job. Was surprised to see only one fella put it up. I think Tom had quite a few to put up his. Have you any more improvements or updates planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

I’ll bet a mf 5455 with a modern loader - probably way off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cables

Maybe that’s what he wants you to think, building up the hype and then he might decide to keep it.

also put an extension on the house too.

only dairy man I’ve seen to spend all their money on machinery and none on improving animal facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭jaymla627

In fairness he has a lovely set-up and shed built recently for his incalf/weanling heifers, you have to remember at his numbers he doesn't need big sheds/parlours/calf sheds etc, compared to expanding farms where existing facilities are always coming under pressure with extra numbers

He's built a fine set up on the out farm. Home farm is all built. I have to laugh at all these guys wondering where does the money come from. My family and also myself worked hard and made plenty sacrifices. Every time we bought land, did building work or bought machinery you'd get all the comments. It was always presumed to be inheritance, wife's earnings, big borrowings, the list goes on. My advice is keep the head down, work hard and don't throw your money away on stupid sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Giddy is the right word! Could never put my finger on it. Find his editing poor, he keeps cutting sequences and find it hard to watch. I haven’t watched him in a while to be fair so mightn’t be as bad now. But also, he’s doing a lot right, just look at his followers and all the work he’s doing! Just not for me.

i like your style Phil, you seem more in common to me and farmers I’d know.

I really like ifarm too though. It’d be the dream to be in his situation, and there is a lot to take from him too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Would you say depreciating machinery is a wise investment, I wouldn’t

his silage quality wouldn’t be fantastic either for the amount of time he has cows housed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A Merlo Multifarmer is what most farms should have. Loader and tractor combined into one. The principle anyway, not sure about the quality of the Merlo electrics.

About 10 years they were nearly the price of 2 new 100HP tractors.

Ever try drive a telehandler on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

My advice is keep the head down, work hard and don't throw your money away on stupid sh1t.

My advice to IFarmWefarm, keep the head down, work hard and take a break every now and then. He remarked in a video there was no family holiday in 7 years.

We had little money growing up, but we had our few days away every year and I still remember them all

The land will be sold quick enough after this generation

• Advertisement

Some of it is necessary. Contractors are a bit of a pain at times. Tractors seem to be a better investment than money in the bank over the past 10 years. I don't really consider farming in general as a good investment. More of a drain than anything else.

Advertisement