Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

☺ well might keep them busy for the evening in their nice cosy house without the walls falling in like families are living with right now in Donegal and Mayo etc .......as I said before I am staggered as to I am alright Jack mentality on here !!

In fairness to the Irish government it looks like they may make the right decision for these families are largely see them right but the bit that galls me is some posters on here are happy to paint the people looking for help as chancers, mcmansions etc etc when really their anger is entirely misplaced and should be directed at the Irish government who has failed to regulate the building industry. That is why they will be paying as taxpayers for this mess......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If there was a main contractor, the buck would stop with them. How much of the construction was done on the cheap, cash in hand, mates rates, etc... If the state is required to step in, the limit of the states involvement should be to make sure that the individuals housing needs are met, not to replace what was built previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yeah. If you were in the same situation you would be happy with your proposal.

As with mates rates and cheap construction what's your point. Its not your mates fault it's the blocks and concrete products that should of been regulated and tested. Do you think blocks like these should of been used in schools and hospitals as well as houses without having been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Interesting to note how clearly the public understand the issues in play.

Horrific to see Government continuing to entertain this campaign. This will be hugely unpopular with everyone, apart from builders in Donegal.

What about the homeowners and families of the homeowners in Donegal. This is what this is about not builders.

Clearly Not important in your eyes I see.

• Advertisement

Whether or not people who arent affected would "want" a new house built for them is irrelevant

Im sure we all want a new house built for us out of the public purse

Whats relevant is what can be done for those who are left with a housing need balancing the interests of the taxpayer vs the actual liability of the state vs what can be chased up from the actual parties at fault

Its a perfectly valid position for any taxpayer to take not to delightedly lobby for 100% redress seeing as the state is not anywhere near 100% liable

There is of course space for practical solutions here that take fair account of what each individual involved needs and what their preferences are, but the carry on about 100% redress and demanding the world stop turning until it is promised is being treated exactly as it deserves

The govt represents everyone, not just the lobby group here, and id much rather see them putting the hurt on the parties responsible than doling out cash for the asking, because that way is a terrible message all around

The builders in Donegal, and the hundreds of families who's lives have been practically destroyed. Children have missed their childhood, marriages have split up, people's savings have been spent.

Oh, the hyperbole misery of it all.

Look, there's provision already for housing people in need. No-one needs to sleep tonight in a house that's likely to collapse.

I'd imagine it would be a shock and surprise to find yourself in the same queue as Margaret Cash. But, then, life has a habit of taking us to strange places.

If people actually have the level of despair you describe, then surely they're open to any reasonable solution. On the other hand, if folk are willing to wait it out as they pursue a demand for limitless 100% funding, it suggests they are not as despairing as you suggest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The most important think that needs to happen is that you learn how to use these boards and stop polluting this tread with inappropriate nonsense. There is only a single sentence in your post that might refer to the topic and event then it brings nothing to the table.

An ideal opportunity for people to learn how use the filter feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not this old dig again, about how the houses are falling down because we all cut corners up here, paid cash in hand etc. In other words, absolute bullcrap. This kind of post comes around every few weeks, usually by someone not involved long term in the thread.

Bottom line is everyone who built a house here, or indeed bought an already build house, did so in good faith. They paid all their taxes on the property and it's build, same as others in the country.

Difference is, the blocks being used were defective. However, no one knew at the time they were, so all the building went on as normal. And as often pointed out, blocks ate actually the cheapest part of building a house, so people didn't cut corners to save money on blocks, because it's not a major cost in building. So get that notion out of your head. No one cut corners or did anything illegal that caused their family home to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ok, will take this on board, could you tell me where the 5000-7000 families are going to be accommodated?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

Actually yes corners were cut. If the people had good engineers and proper tests done on the materials which I know were done in other parts of the country this would have been spotted a lot earlier. I do know some people who’s engineers discovered mica in blocks and told the house builders not to use them. People cut corners all the time building houses.

i still can’t fathom why the tax payer has to foot 100% of the bill. Engineers who oversaw the build ( if the home owner was neglectful enough not to employed one then I have no sympathy ) , insurance companies , banks , the suppliers of the materials should be held accountable first.. the tax payer should be the last resort.

Where are they all going to live while their houses are rebuilt, as you propose?

I think that is the question that Niman was asking, with all respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No interest in going back through his post history. Posted that nonsense the other day in the thread engaged with them already. And loves so much to post absolute walls of text so there's no reply. As I said I won't be giving it an ounce of day. I don't need to paint anyone as anti Irish, they do it all by themselves.

As for going through history you'd only have to go through the other forum to see the absolute blarney that exits over there. Shameful place packed with mob mentality. You can see why people are struggling to support this continued 'blank cheque' mentality. Most of them seem to be unwilling even to have to dig into their own pocket to prove their eligibility for the grant scheme in the first place. I have absolutely zero appetite to pay any levy that supports that form of mob rule and I've certainly zero desire to pay for anyone's investment property at all. I'd be surprised if any other tax payers want to fund that through extra charges elsewhere. We have enough outgoings . Cheers though.

Completely rational post.

The mob won't like that.

Let's just hope the government do the right thing and sort these families out.

Always going to be a few begrudgers who are scared someone might be getting something that there not but hopefully sense will prevail. You use mob rule very freely. I have attended two protests in Dublin as alot of posters on the other site have and have yet to witness anything resembling your description.

Anyhow keep up the mcmansions, blank cheques and mob rule comments as it will make you feel like you're right but really it's first myself then myself and then myself again that's the real factor to some.

Actually contrary to everything you've posted. I'm thoroughly social minded. I'm pro major investment in social housing, social services, child care, public transport. I lived in council house when I was a kid. Grew up in what is continued to be classified as a 'deprived' area. I've worked hard , fortunate to have a nice job now and home I worked hard for. I attended 4 IW protests myself.

I just have an incredibly difficult time lumping actual principal private residences in with investment properties and holiday homes in this mess. I also don't think there should be (i shall use the term again) 'Blank cheque' because that is exactly what 100 percent redress means. I've no doubt the term was coached on some Facebook group, but it quite literally means a blank cheque.

I want principal private residences for families resolved and resolved in a fair and equitable system. The end.

Post edited by listermint on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The blocks are defective, no question. However, if they did not use a main contractor, they took on additional risk. If the block supplier ain't got the money to pay up, the state should step in, but only to meet housing need, not to replace what was originally built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Maybe the State should only be liable for the cost of the blocks? If this is where the problem lies and the State is being portrayed as the responsible party for making sure the blocks are fine then that's where the liability ends. Maybe the support should include, demolition and rebuild of the block work. Everything else is on the homeowner then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Plus of course if the state provides alternative accommodation, the state owns it at least. Who gets the benefit of any tax payer input into these houses? The taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am sorry, but the statistics were produced earlier in the thread that demonstrated that the houses are far larger than the standard national average.

If redress was limited to the standard size of a 4-bed (around 110 sq. m.), excluded holiday homes, and capped at the national average LPT valuation of such a house, I think the protestors would get a much fairer hearing in seeking 100% redress.

Where about are you talking about standard national average because I work all over the country as it happens and I can tell you 100% that there is no difference in the size of houses in Donegal compared to anywhere else in rural Ireland. Donegal is definitely no different to any other rural county in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Go back through the thread, there was significant evidence posted about the difference in size of houses, based on real statistics. The McMansions in Donegal are a real phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The report said that homeowners on the working group advised that the average size of home affected is 2,400sq.ft [223sqm]  Source

Ireland’s average dwelling floor space is 160m² [1722sqft] Source

In the greater Dublin region average house size is 1,214 square feet [113sqm] Source

Maybe in general Donegal houses aren't much bigger than other rural counties but the average of the affected houses is, possibly due to a lot of self builds being effected.

Also they are far bigger than what is required. The government has a responsibility to stop these people becoming homeless, it doesn't have responsibility to fully compensate them for their losses.

Donegal is a mainly rural county you know. I don't have to go back through threads, I see it all through the year when I'm working away Donegal is no different in house size to any other rural county.

How can you state that they are bigger than required when every one has different circumstances. These people deserve to get their homes fully reinstated and should not be penalised for having a bigger house than someone else

They're not being penalised. Its a grant scheme. The tax payer is under zero obligation here. Ergo how is the tax payer penalising them. On the contrary the tax payer is assisting them out of a penal situation.

But it seems you still want every single property covered which you have yet to provide a valid reason why taxpayers should cover that stand point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Unless the effected families are on average twice as big as other families than yes they are bigger than required.

This comes down to a difference of opinion you think there should be compensation of like for like.

I think the state has a moral obligation to ensure those affected don't become homeless. So their required house size is similar to other social housing requirements based on family size.

If people want to be compensated like for like they are more than welcome to try and sue those who caused the issues, that isn't the state.

The state simply has a moral responsibility to try help house those affected the same as it has an obligation to house other people who are homeless, obviously there needs to be a specific scheme due to the numbers involved.

If a drunk driver crashed into someone they couldn't look to the state for compensation because the state didn't do enough road side tests.

The defective blocks are the fault of the quarry not the state.

I do believe more needs to be done such that those at fault should be locked up but that doesn't change that the state is not at fault the quarry is.

Advertisement