Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

Anyone else think the Tsunoda/Stroll thing was all on Stroll? He turns in super late and Tsunoda was there for a while beforehand.

Go on Perez! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super by Perez!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hamilton gets it done and now has his sights set on Max.

The DRS (particularly Hamilton's) is so powerful that if Hamilton attempts the undercut and gets into 1 or 2 cars of traffic it could actually help him. It's all very fine margins, if he comes out 2-2.5 seconds behind someone he'll pass them at the end of the lap and get all that DRS goodness. Kinda looking at the Ferraris, there's a nice gap between them that if he passed Sainz he'd then be passing Leclerc the next time around without losing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Lads, can you keep the race discussion going on in the dedicated race thread thanks.

I was looking at the wrong gap but a difference of about half a second and he'd have had Ricciardo into turn 1 and be almost side-by-side with Verstappen into 4.

Tense stuff, looks like Hamilton's race for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Great result for the championship today! Keeps both championships wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Has there ever been an attempt to get a F1 Grand Prix in Ireland? To Mondello? Imagine the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mondello has never really been an F1 level of a facility. I think it's even fallen behind on what's acceptable to host a British Touring car race. Our best hope for a World class motorsport event is either Formula E race in the Phoenix Park, a World Rally event basically anywhere in the country or the FIA Gran Turismo World Championships in the National Convention Centre or similar venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What about upgrading Mondello? Bring it up to F1 standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently theres been signs unveiled accidentally in China congratulating Zhou on being the first Chinese F1 driver.

Massive undertaking. The track is about 3.5 km long while most F1 tracks are at least 5km .It's a kart track in comparison. And in order to break even, it would need to host a lot more events then just a Formula 1 weekend.

It's not financially viable.

Hmm. Brazil (technically now, Sao Paolo) can manage to host a GP, and it is by no means a prosperous country. I'd just love to see a GP hosted here.

If you've got a spare half a billion feel free to give it a go.

Brazil may not be the most prosperous country but it's massive and has levels of disparity and deprivation beyond anything most of us will ever experience. It also has incredible riches and rich people throughout the country.

When the track was built it cost very little back then. If you want to build a circuit from scratch you're talking about at least a few hundred million these days. Ireland has a tiny car culture compared to most of Europe and a small population and not a lot of people who would want to put money like that up. Even the fact that the race this year was called the Sao Paolo Grand Prix I wouldn't be surprised if the city was under-writing the risk of the event. Dublin doesn't even have a proper council and Mondello is in Kildare, can't imagine the county council giving them a blank cheque.

One word, Senna. The money coming in from his legacy is what's keeping the Grand Prix going, otherwise it'd been dropped a long time ago. Remember Argentina? I mean if a country like Germany can't keep a Grand Prix on the calendar what hope would Ireland have.

Yeah; maybe. But Senna died in 1994. How is he still bringing in money to the Brazilian economy? Merchandise sales wouldn't even qualify as a drop in the ocean. Fair point re Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What I found interesting today was that the FIA Street keeping hold of Hamilton's rear wing and haven't returned it to Merc. They weren't pushing this at Toto in the pre-race show.

Are the FIA looking at the wing for its bendiness? Or am I reading too much into it?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement

Again, who's going to underwrite it? It's usually covered by a city.

Formula E would be doable but it's Ireland. It would somehow cost 100 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The banks would underwrite it. Safe as houses. 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can you imagine the reaction in this country if the government said they were going to throw €500m at hosting F1? Sinn Féin and the rest would have an absolute canary and all you'd hear would be "but what about the hospitals etc". Nobody wants that grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Eddie Jordan pushed for it at his pomp but its too expensive and the noise pollution is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Over here in Vancouver we have Formula E next year, really short circuit.

Dublin could do something around the docks over one of the bridges or something, the tracks they use are like parking stalls.

This weekend was terrible for F1 in my opinion.

There is something seriously wrong with the sport if a car can start P20 and just sail up to P5 so easily. All he had to do was stay out of trouble and sail by on the straights. In the actual race, he started P10 and was in P3 in just a few laps. If it wasn't for the safety cars I think he would have led in the 1st stint.

Even when he passed Max he was able to get a 10 second lead in something like 12 laps. Lando Norris admitted that there was no point even bothering trying to defend against him.

There is nothing stopping Mercedes from taking a new ICE in every race if they want. A grid penalty won't do much if you have 7 tenths advantage on a short track.

As fans we can only pray that this utter domination was a 1 off. Otherwise we'll quickly be back to Lewis on pole and cruising in the lead by 20 seconds while complaining about his tyres on the radio to try give us some drama.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Brazil is a very prosperous country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭McFly85

I am surprised that there’s so many calling it a drive for the ages. Hamilton was excellent but I’m not even sure I’d consider it his best drive this season - he had such a pace advantage he would have had to massively screw up to get anything but first.

As for the ICE replacement rules, it is what it is for this season, and Mercedes might basically have a loophole to help them in the last stint(although there’s nothing to suggest they will use any new engine for the last 3 races). But it definitely needs to be looked at in future - what’s the point of having a penalty that doesn’t actually penalise you?

I maintain that an RB win in at least the drivers championship this season would be the best outcome for the sport. They’ve stepped up massively this season and have had the best car and driver combination. To come so close but to be undone by 2 incidents caused by your rival team and a soft penalty for replacement parts seems really harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Must say Totos comments post race have me withered "diplomacy has ended" would you go way to fcuk. Actually have to work for a title for the first time in years and he's moaning. They can feel hard done that max didn't get a stop go penalty for Lewis going off track and that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Rumours Audi have bought McLaren to secure an entry into F1. Reported by Autocar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement