Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well and good for you.

100% not making stuff up: I'm working in a role which includes planning / purchasing the equipment needed for a company that plans to have a 2/3 or 3/2 split (they're still discussing). They've taken H&S advice that hot-desking is not preferred. They're locked into a lease for at least 6 years, so no rent savings 'til then. And they are spending up large to get the equipment needed to support this. Well they will be, in about Jan next year to get ready to open up in Feb/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The WFH /hybrid survey should be a simple one line question: - Do you want the certainty of a whole load of extra hours per week to sleep, exercise, spend time with your family and get out midweek with your real friends and have a meal or a few beers or do you want to commit to unnecessary travel to a desk where you boot up the same f*cking computer you were looking at at home and catch up with people who generally don't share your interests but you all try so amicably for teamwork' sake??

Then there's the one that you get on like a house on fire with and you miss. And guess what? There's no company rule saying you can't meet them for beer, football, coffee or whatever outside office hours. But no matter how pally ye are in work, no dossing, no drinking and defo no funny business.

Look, work should be meaningful. But we can't all be that lucky. Most of us have to do the (often well-paid) sh1tty jobs. Bye bye soul. But hey. But if it means more to you than your family, pets or personal development like reading or self improvement or volunteering or living a full rounded life, you need your head examined and ps good shooting for the next death race, sorry, I mean promotion competition.

If employers can't seize the once a century organisational development opportunity created by a pandemic, then marketplace creative destruction awaits.

We've, mostly, all bought into the narrative that WFH is anti-social and being in the office is social. Not really. The truth is that the office environment is totally unnatural, toxic and wasteful of resources. The truly social creature would be best completing tasks at home,not competing hours by the way, and then continuing to spend those God-given hours in the focussed lived fashion they should be. Not sitting like a goon with your foot on the throttle and your eyes forward, like Fred & Barney. Planning your day or listening to podcasts about how to plan your day....

Wake up folks. Baaaaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Revenue still working from home? Joke.

Well, I would suggest that that company is doing it wrong, and needs to get a new H&S advisor!

Or else someone is on the take

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My wife's company has already announced full WFH until March 31. Lease is up at end of year and building owner desperate to keep them. Offering lower rents and promising a refit. They are hiring too and offering full WFH. Her work life balance has never ever been so good so I am not sure she will ever even go hybrid. Maybe 1 day per week probably via hotdesking.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not all. I am back 2 to 3 days a week. I know others who never worked from home (due to what they work on) and others who were in the office a day or 2 always. Yes trying to contact your local office by phone is horrible. But hey it has always been like that

Ah OK. It is the Limerick office I want to talk to in relation to dentistry payback.

I am in I am in CGs area I would say sent a mail through MyAccount or ROS

Sadly, I'm only on a phone and dentistry form never included my RSI number. Awkward, due to the pandemic, to get some store to print off a document to add RSI number and then scan it back in. Feel hard done by for much older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I think we could all get on-board with this idea as the lines between work and home-life get blurred with WFH - "Portugal has banned bosses from text messaging and emailing staff out of working hours as part of new laws dubbed "right to rest".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Where is our own legislation giving the employees the right to request WFH? The government should never have allowed employers take employees back into offices without this being implemented. Useless FF/FG once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well all that ever was was the right to request remote working.

There was no obligation onnan employer to allow remote working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Not to mention offering just one day a week WFH might be enough to tick the box.

Oh I agree there should be still some telephone system at least. It is the same for us trying to get someone. Sorry I cant be much help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It was supposed to be in by the end of this year, some sources said by Q3. If it isn't in soon we'll be heading into the Christmas slowdown then they "might as well" kick the can down the road into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

surely though, given the fact it'll be almost 2 years when we've been wfhing 100% of the time, how can employers honestly say you have to come in 50-60% of the time? it's not credible.

In my own field, on LinkedIn in the jobs section, you can see how many applicants have applied for certain jobs via LinkedIn and it's interesting for me to see that the jobs with "(Remote)" in the headline have far more applicants than those that do not have this. Early mover advantage for those companies to pick off some talent!

I had understood it could only be refused with data-based reasons as opposed to simply giving written sentences. The employer would need to show a measurable detrimental impact to the employee's work by them not doing it in the office. Very difficult for a lot of roles to show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlockPartee

Since being back in the office I'm missing all the free time I had when I wasn't commuting. Not to mention the amount of money I'm now spending on diesel and tolls. Management keep reiterating that it's great to have everyone back in the office but I see many of my colleagues nervous about the case numbers, stress of commuting and the work/life balance just isn't there. I've started looking elsewhere because no job is worth this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cleanliness: with hot-desking, you'll be using a desk that was sat at by someone else yesterday. Either the employer has to pay someone to sanitise between users, or there is a risk of cross infection. (Yah, I know Covid-19 is rarely spread on surfaces. But other bugs are. And some people are just grubby.)

We have enough equipment for them to work in one place. But we need to buy additional so that they can work at home or the office - there's not much rush, because we're not expecting people back until Feb/March next year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Looks like approval will be given today & tomorrow to the reintroduction of WFH where possible restrictions. I guess it will apply from Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

We'll be two years wfh before it's lifted in Spring. It's so crazy when you take a step back from it.

With the way things are going with Covid there will inevitably be a commitment from government to implement the right to request working remotely. The virus is going nowhere, we have been on a steep learning curve, there will be no option but for more people to work away from office situations where possible. However people should have to do jobs that interface with people or involve anything other than sitting down all the time of course cannot WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ah yes but people spend money when they are in town so they will be slow for a right to request working remotely. Especially if it effects things long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

And to not expect people to make life changes that reflect that fact is madness!

Yeah, I can well understand the reluctance by government to close down city/town centre(s) which have already, in case of Dublin, been given over to an anti-social element since spates of lockdown. It’s not socially/societally healthy for too many to be working from home. And on an individual basis it can have detrimental psychological effects if a person is already relatively socially isolated. We are built to interface with one another (more than virtually) to some extent.

It's not healthy to waste hours of your day sitting in traffic, or to grab food on the go. It's not financially or environmentally healthy to drive to and from an office unnecessarily.

Some people do better in an office environment, but we are all different. It's a nightmare for introverts for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

The problem is with our city centres, for example Dublin, is that everyone commutes in to work in the City Centre. This is contrary to nearly every other European city where people live in the city centre and commute out to industrial areas in the suburbs.

You have the opposite issue in some of those cities where you have anti-social behaviour further out from the city, eg. the banlieus in Paris.

This is not a WFH issue, but I totally agree that WFH has highlighted the bizarre scenario of Dublin!

• Advertisement

Dragging people back to the city centre office doesn’t solve the problem. It’s short termism in the extreme. More WFH, as technology continues to improve, is an absolute inevitability….it’s just a matter of how fast it happens. It isn’t something new with Covid. It was already an increasing trend, led by MNCs but becoming increasingly common in recent years. Covid has only impacted on the pace of change, not the change itself.

There needs to be a fundamental change in our thinking about what Dublin City centre is, and for the planning approach to reflect this

Advertisement