Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He's being accused of things? I thought it was just about his leaking the confidential document.

Maybe the witnesses are trying to broker special envoy or advisor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

"Less than a fortnight ago, Mr Cosgrave opened the Web Summit in Lisbon with a searing criticism of Mr Varadkar.

He projected giant images of a Village magazine cover describing Mr Varadkar as a “law breaker”.

That sounds completely healthy and just how an event like that should open. Think the term is rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Any reason in particular you quoted me, or were you meant to just quote the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Paddy Cosgrave is basically turning his business into a personal vendetta against Leo Varadkar. Gobshite.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Was it not you who posted that article I was replying to? Any opinion yourself on my comment? Do you think it's healthy for him to open a web summit with a rant about a politician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well-placed sources say there have been “a sustained number of people claiming to have information pertinent to the investigation” arriving at garda stations and requesting officers take statements from them. It is understood Mr Cosgrave has approached gardaí “on more than one occasion” since his initial statement in May requesting further statements from him be placed on the garda record.

Several other “key players” linked to the tech entrepreneur have also showed up at garda stations asking for their statements to be recorded.

A source explained: “Of course we want anyone with relevant information to provide it, it is something we actively encourage. But this sustained level of contact we are getting from some of the key players, whose statements we have already secured, is at this point extending and frustrating our investigation. We are professionals and the job will be done regardless, but it’s not particularly helpful.”

I guess if you have nothing the best thing to do is to keep changing your story so that people can say "Leo is STILL under criminal investigation" and drag this out further...

Our Paddy is flying very close to the sun here, I can certainly see him in the dock in the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you now turning on your good friend Paddy who seems to be the subject of the Garda frustrations. Arriving into Garda stations making several statements. I suppose Leo lives in his head too.

Didn't realise that Chay Bowes and Paddy Cosgrave were one and the same person. You learn something new everyday.

What are you on about?

What is varadkar being accused of? You posted that people were changing their accusations.

I was asking you what they were.

Again with the Paddy deflection. Who's living in who's head? Varadkar thread.

I said they were changing their statements. Probably making up new lies as they go along. Seems to be catching.

• Advertisement

The article was mentioned a couple of times, and that it was behind a paywall. So I guess you didn't mean to quote me.

Any opinion on your comment? Other than it seems sarcastic and then isn't, not really no. Oh.. and uses the term rent free again.

Do I think it's healthy for him to open a web summit with a rant about a politician?

Healthy? In terms of his business, I guess it seems to have worked, it appeared around the globe, and seems to follow Leos belief that simply appearing in the media is good enough, it doesn't matter if it is for negative or positive reasons. That aside, many of the people that will have seen it, won't have seen his name mentioned. Just Leo's.

It wouldn't necessarily be my method of choice to be honest, but as Leo said last year, he wonders if they have something else on him. Also, I don't own a business that has that platform, nor do I know what Paddy Cosgrave knows.

A very long post to say you agree with Mr Cosgrove to open his web summit with a rant about a politician from another country which has no bearing on the event in Portugal.

Obsessed is the only word I can pick to describe the behavior. Do you think it's normal?

It seems that Paddy Cosgrave doesn't even know what Paddy knows seeing as he appears to be changing his Garda statement every couple of weeks.

A very long post? I was answering your daft questions.

I haven't said whether or not I agree with Paddy Cosgrave, And tbh I couldn't give AF about PC as I have said many times before. I know nothing about him, or his twitter tweets.

Leo, on the other hand is the alleged criminal that has leaked information that was marked confidential, and took it upon himself to decide whether or not he should 'share' documents that were being used for negotiations.

Do you think that's normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There is a constant theme, and trend for you to type out something (you obviously haven't thought through) only to later reply to someone implying, or pretending that you actually wrote something different.

You see, you didn't post anything about Paddy Cosgrave blanch, here is what I was replying to.

With Chay Bowes being the major whistleblower, and witness, I therefore thought it quite apt to quote him.

Apart from that, there is absolutely no evidence from the article that what you're claiming here is taking place - witnesses constantly changing their statements and their accusation.

From the article, the accusation has not changed, and he is still the subject of the criminal investigation for it.

Had you of actually of read the article, that would have been clear. -

He is under investigation over the April 2019 leaking of a confidential copy of a document outlining the details of the Government’s proposed GP contract with the Irish Medical Organisation to his friend Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail , who was then head of a rival organisation, the National Association of General Practitioners .

There is also nothing in the article to back up your claim that people are "changing their statements", as this doesnt mean what you obviosly think it does.

It is understood Mr Cosgrave has approached gardaí “on more than one occasion” since his initial statement in May requesting further statements from him be placed on the garda record.

Further statements does not mean changing statements blanch, no matter how much you wish it did.

Lastly, I do note this from the article. Less than subtle reminder what it's all about.

He is under investigation over the April 2019 leaking of a confidential copy of a document outlining the details of the Government’s proposed GP contract with the Irish Medical Organisation to his friend Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail , who was then head of a rival organisation, the National Association of General Practitioners .

The criminal investigation into the Tánaiste’s leaking of the document is being led by officers of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NCBI).

Even in a hatchet job attempt, it would seem the Indo are trying to "goad" you lads, with "pseudonyms". /sarcasm.

I'll give your throw muck at the wall post, pretending you posted something different to what you actually posted a solid 2/10 blanch.

Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since they could be charged with obstruction if they were actually withholding any information from the investigation, it stands to reason that all of these "new" statements to the Gardai are not at all useful information.

Cosgrave, Bowes and Smith would definitely be Walter Mitty characters, it wouldn't surprise me if they were carrying out their own "investigations" in the background and running to the Gardai with every rumour or idea that has popped into their head. Most likely in an attempt to drag this thing out. Keep it trundling along in the hopes that voters might give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Too late, you made an ass-hat of a post blanch. You can "imagine" what you like (while constantly popping in and out of the thread like a fiddler's elbow reminding people to keep the discussion "factual" btw)

Your posts are good for a laugh if nothing else.

Post edited by McMurphy on

Not quite..

the Garda investigation is being frustrated and delayed by certain of the witnesses constantly changing their statements and their accusation.

What are they accusing him of?

His leaking is under criminal investigation. He's not currently accused of anything that I know of.

What accusations are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

You'd probably be best to actually read a paywalled article before commenting on it next time (as I did) because it doesn't say what you think it said.

Nowhere in the article does it state that anyone "changed their statement" and likewise, no "change to the accusations" either.

There's a claim that PC has been adding to his statements, but that's not = to "changing" them, and the article clearly states what the accusation still is, and what Leo is being investigated for.

• Advertisement

Talking non stop about Paddy Cosgrave in a Varadkar thread? Seems to be.

Is it a 'demented crusade' to go after a private individual in the way that you have on here for his private views?

it has been interesting, but the going after a private individual has been tasteless at best. When is a private citizen not a private citizen? When the mob says so it seems.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I directed posters into this thread when Cosgrave discussion commenced in the Government thread, and it was being discussed in connection with links to Varadkar. Indeed there was already discussion of Cosgrave in this thread

If you wish to start a new thread dedicated to Cosgrave please feel free to do so

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

It would seem Paddy Cosgrave is living rent free in a lot of angry heads in this thread.

We are all private citizens. Paddy Cosgrave is a private citizen, Leo Varadkar is a private citizen.

People often think that because we vote for and elect politicians that somehow that they are fair game for having a go, that they have full freedom to go on the attack all the times because they are no longer private citizens. Well, those people are wrong, because politicians are private citizens too. Sure they have public comments, but they have partners, spouses, children, parents etc in their private life.

I am happy to criticise the public actions of any private citizen. For example, it is more than a bit rich to somehow claim Paddy Cosgrave is immune from criticism as a private citizen after his very public act at the Web Summit. So criticise their business dealings, criticise their policies, criticise their statements, criticise their political actions, but you won't see me going after a politician's partner (unless there are reasons in and of themselves to do so e.g. married to a politician), you won't see me starting a thread on a politician's child, some things are just off-limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Yes, and there's also a lot of irony in the independent story, as (according to PC tweet) the story about the lack of progress in Leo's criminal investigation (that still feels a tad surreal to be typing out) about "a leak", comes on the back of what Cosgrave alleges are "leaks from An Garda Síochána."

"Leaks" seem to form an integral part of our society.

Considering the only party's privy to information relating to how many statements he has given would be Cosgrave and AGS, I can't see how they could have originated from anywhere else either, being honest. I suppose no-one can complain or act surprised (whatever "side" of the debate you are on) whether though, as it was obviously AGS that kept journalists informed about how the initial investigation was being upgraded into him officially being the main player (subject) of the criminal investigation too.

However, if true one would hope there's no concerted effort here to discredit whistleblowers, (the allegation of is reminiscent of Clare Daly and Maurice McCabe) if true.

So he is immune from punishment because as Taoiseach he could authorise himself.

Leo is now a private citizen.

Did he pass the documents to zerocraic as Taoiseach (and was "authorised" to do so according to you)?

Or did he pass the documents to zerocraic as a private citizen?

Pick a feckin line of defence and stick with it blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not a normal leader. Not a normal party.

https://twitter.com/KKYoungFineGael/status/1460332797873336328?t=V2ZFB6l1h6OQr5-aL63_fA&s=19

What's going on there? Can't you just imagine the media, and certain qtrs on here if any other party carried on like this?

I didn't realise that I was quoting a couple of weeks old post. I removed it, as it has already been pointed out before. This is just fodder, as I can't remove the actual post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Paddy seems to be throwing his toys out of the pram in relation to the article in the Sindo.

It's hilarious in a way. This is a guy who has a very long history of spreading fake news, having to apologise numerous times for it, indeed having had to settle a libel action out of court, seems to be in and out of court on a weekly basis, has some sort of vendetta against Leo and FG and will use his platform to have a go with said libels and fake news, but when the light is shone on him, he gets his solicitors on speed dial to do a Denis O'Brien on it and threaten any and all other media that he will use if they say a bad word about him.

Can anyone honestly take his person seriously anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement