Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If someone was to ask me what is the best podcast series you've listened to? Then I probably would say - on balance - West Cork as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

OTB's Sunday Paper review is a must for any sports fans. If only they were given more time to discuss, they are always pushed for time and have to rush through at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Stuff You Should Know

Omnibus

History of Rome

Love & Radio

These aren't my personal favourites, but it would be difficult to argue that they aren't among the best podcasts in terms of storytelling an production:

This American Life

Serial

S-Town

99% Invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Was looking through my subscriptions for new episodes, and see that they are making new episodes of 'The Dropout' - it relates the rise and fall of a tech company entrepreneur whose company collapsed amongst allegations of fraud, etc.

The trial is taking place at the minute, so the story is unfolding in real time, week by week. If you enjoyed 'The Missing Cryptocurrency Queen', you might enjoy this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I just came across this whole section, didn't realise it existed. Here are a few I'd recommend, apologies if they've been recommended before, there's 22 pages.

They Walk Among Us - true crime quite good, quite consistent

Picture The Scene Podcast - True crime - Quite new but episode 2 is an Irish case, the girl that got kidnapped and killed a few years ago in Dublin and episode 5 amused me. Still new so you can hear teething problems but hopefully could be good

True Crime Investigators UK - True crime - quite unique, they're two ex British police and they actually speak to some of the victims and investigators from the actual crimes - Some they investigated themselves. One of the cases they interview Stephen Downing who was wrongfully imprisoned for 27 years.

Grounded with Louis Theroux - If you like Louis you'll like this, if you don't you'll hate it

Mysterious Universe - Complete nonsense and I should hate it but it constantly makes me laugh. I'm convinced it's a huge p**s-take and the hosts don't believe anything at all. The topics are all paranormal and aliens and stuff like that

Super familiar with the Wilsons - Again logically I should hate this, it's a couple from the states just chatting mostly about nothing important but I find myself listening to it every week still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Just came across this one called Sideways

Really interesting perspective on situations and events in history. The stories are well told and weave together different situations into a really interesting narrative.

[Sideways] 1. Siding with the Enemy #sideways 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/118980907 via @PodcastAddict

Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks for that, Sideways is really great.

For sports fans, what podcasts would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Saw this in Sunday time, about the 99% of young footballers from the academys who don't make it as a professional. Called.

It was all a dream

https://open.spotify.com/show/2sGeapTb5NvIz30lSqLcBl?si=LwE__YlgTnmCRfMQhGl1qg&utm_source=copy-link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

Queen of the Con: The Irish Heiress

Well worth a listen. A bit loud shouty American in the first episode but worth sticking with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go with Hardcore History but there's only about 3 a year so sort of unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone listening to "The Dropout"?

An excellent investigation and explanation of the Theranos saga and it's founder Elizabeth Holmes.

The podcast initially aired in 2019 and thoroughly explained the background, personalities and all the shenanigans that went on.

They are now covering the ongoing legal trial of Holmes on a weekly basis.

Really fascinating imho and very well produced, researched etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Another couple I'm listening too at the minute that are very good and a welcome alternative to the onslaught of depressing news flying around....

The always excellent "Slow Burn" is back with a new series about the LA Riots in 1991 and the context in which it happened.

Also listening to "Fat Leonard" which is an investigation into the US Navy scandal which is likely to be major news story in the coming months.

And a recently discovered pair of guilty pleasures which probably have very niche target audiences that I'm smack in the middle of.... "Football Cliches" - a witty and erudite uncovering of the absolute horsesh1t that is spoken around football, and "The Rewatchables" which is a few guys in their 40's talking about much beloved movies which they've watched a million times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I recently listened to Catching/ Finding Warhead (about finding the lad who hosts sites distributing child abuse images). It was really good but obviously tough in some parts.

Finding Q on Audible is interesting enough. I really liked the journalist. I knew nothing about Q Anon beforehand so learnt loads.

I am halfway through Satanic Panic at the minute. It's about a town in Canada in the 1990s where hundreds of kids said they were abused by a satanic cult and around 30 people were arrested for the abuse but all the kids were lying. Definitely worth the listen so far.

Planet Money by NPR is one of the first podcasts that I started out with and is probably still my favorite. Great storytelling and you don't need to have an interest in economics or finance to enjoy it!

"Planet Money is an American blog and podcast produced by NPR. The Planet Money multimedia team covers the global economy and began around the same time as the financial crisis. Imagine you could call up a friend and say, "Meet me at the bar and tell me what's going on with the economy." Now imagine that's actually a fun evening. That's what we're going for at Planet Money"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

West Cork is now available on Apple podcasts. Was previously only available on Audible, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I listened to it on Podcast Addict. Not sure it was exclusive to Audible.

Found this one by accident. White Hot Hate about white supremacy group in Canada. A journalist joined the group to see what the craic was and it was fascinating.

Nice and short with 6 half hour episodes.

[White Hot Hate] Episode 1: “Save Your Race, Join The Base” #whiteHotHate 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/130409298 via @PodcastAddict

Enjoying this at the moment - Power Trip, the first season of New York Magazine’s newest podcast, Cover Story.

"Power Trip, the first season of New York Magazine’s newest podcast, Cover Story. The investigative series uncovers the secrets and exposes the darkest corners of the psychedelic revolution through a twisted, deeply personal tale at the intersection of mind, body, and control. The eight-episode series will be released on Tuesdays starting November 30."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sweet Bobby - it's about a huge catfish deception investigation based in England.

Interesting as I always wondered how people would get caught up in these. Also very sad when you realize the damage someone can cause by doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"What's Funny, About..." is a good listen. From the BBC and parented by Jon Plowman and Peter Fincham. They chat to people involved in some of Britain's most popular comedies.

Only 12 episodes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

I have two podcasts for those interested in Politics and History.

Revolutions by Mike Duncan: A really engaging podcast series that charts a few of the most influential revolutions and the impacts they have had on our modern world.

Foreign Policy Playlist: It picks an episode from a variety of different Foreign affairs podcasts. You can find quite a number of interesting podcasts through following this podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I've found podcasts made by CBC podcasts in Canada seem to be decent quality. I was on holidays last week and got to binge a few and quite enjoyed White Hot Hate, thanks for the recommendation.

I also just finished Escaping NXIVM. Another uneasy subject matter but fascinating listen. Description below.

"NXIVM calls itself a humanitarian community. Experts call it a cult. Uncover: Escaping NXIVM is an investigative podcast series about the group, its leader Keith Raniere and one woman’s journey to get out "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Suckler

Couple of good ones I've come across lately:

Inside the Crime - The Whelan Family Story - Frank Greaney

Hooked - Josh Dean

The Making of a detective - The Irish Sun

The Northern Bank Job - BBC

The Assault on America - Coolzone Media

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ball boy

The socially distant sports bar is good fun. 3 lads discussing sports documentaries, books etc. Probably better to listen to some of the early episodes to get a feel for the presenters…

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

you're wrong about . goes over various big news events of the 80’s and 90’s and how different they are viewed today in comparison to then. very entertaining and interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

This is excellent. I usually only listen to podcasts while out walking but had to binge the last 3 episodes at home. An unbelievable story with an excellent narrator, Keith Morrison. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Just finished this, it's a gripping story.

I had to binge as I really wanted to hear it out to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Dateline NBC have a some brilliant stories, I haven't listened to this one yet but it's on my list!

• Advertisement

'The Dropout' podcast series is now finished. It's been fantastic entertainment and I'm already looking forward to the TV series coming up in March on it (Details on this in the below link).

I'll need to find a new podcast to replace it in the meantime. For those who enjoyed this podcast and the CryptoQueen podcasts, is there anything else similar that you would recommend?

Advertisement