Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That’s a tad nasty.

firstly, you start typing m mcg and see what happens with your spell check. But my last post would be very hypocritical if I just ignored your concern. I will be trying hard to spell Irish names like Martan Mcguinness correctly going forward. I will make that effort unilaterally and won’t even ask posters on here to reciprocate and to use the term NI (shorter and easier typed) than the incorrect reference to ‘the north’ or even more offensive when they go to the trouble of a capital N 🙄

the irony in your post of telling me I am ‘Irish’ and that should I not support the team you want me to, I am sectarian.

you are as British as I am Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Exactly, Downcow....only I can answer that, whereas in the post I responded to, you assumed and attributed responsibility to me.

You have no idea what I have or haven't done, so I don't appreciate the assumption.

Edit. Can’t delete. Meant to report not post

Post edited by downcow on

• Advertisement

You are twisting my post I can’t look back now, but I said ‘you, me and everyone else’ don’t do enough to challenge division around the Irish language. I then went on in my subsequent post to put the focus on my own shortcomings in this are.

You can try and paint that as me having a go at you if you wish but I am confident we all know the positive point I am making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,282 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nah youve finally exposed your bigotry for everyone to see with your childish attempts at attacking the Irish language, the idea that you wouldnt know how to spell McGuinness is absurd not just because his name is one of the most popular drinks in the world but its been plastered across newspapers in Northern Ireland for the past quarter century. Its akin to the bigotry the DUP consistently get away with in stormont when they spout gibberish in their childish attempts to mock the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Your attempts to justify hating the native language of the island you're from (the language likely spoke by some of your ancestors) is in no way a positive point. It is a weaseling attempt to abdicate any real responsibility you hold and deflect it from a position of personal responsibility to, 'well deep down, we're all responsible for it'.

You hate anything with even the slightest hint of Irishness about it, Downcow. Own it and certainly don't try and paint your weak attempts at justification as trying to make a positive point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But you say "the south". It is hypocritical if you have a problem with people using "the north" when you use "the south" as a reference. Don't deny you use the south as a reference because you even defended yourself in using this term on another tread. The south or north are not offensive as references.

It is sectarian and bigotry that you can't support an all Irish side despite this being the side that represents where you live. You even said if the football was one like it use to be you would go of and support England. You despise unity on Ireland. Why can't you own up to that fact? Rugby fans have no problem supporting the British and Irish lions when playing as a team. Never once have I herd a bigotry rugby fan saying I can't support the British and Irish lions because them ones are on the team. That is your problem of growing up in an apartheid. Do you brainwash your kids with this sectarian bigotry way of thinking, do you hope the apartheid perpetually continues in the north?

Absolutely I oppose a United ireland. And yes I would prefer all our sporting teams represented either NI or UK. Yes I would prefer there were not sporting teams that represented both countries together. Yes I support the Uk team on the Olympics.

if you can’t see why a unionist would hold this view then you really don’t understand the people you have to share this island with.

I find it crazy that we have one rugby team representing the two countries. I can’t think of another two countries anywhere in the world that do this.

take a step back and have a think which one of us understands the other least.

• Advertisement

I stand to be corrected, but I don’t think I said I had a problem with people using ‘the north’. I work with people who use it every day of the week and sometimes us it myself in particular company. I am only asking for awareness.

now what would you prefer I call the 26 counties? - I find ‘Ireland’ not very specific and confusing on a forum like this. I do though completely accept that ‘Ireland’ is the correct and official name for the 26 counties.

I do not hate Irish language. I dislike some of the political ways it is used.

I am not sure it is the native language of this island. I am pretty sure it wasn’t spoken at New Grange but then some newcomers arrived who spoke an early form of Irish. Not sure if they put the people out who were already here or if the just wiped out their language. Records are not as good as when some later peoples arrived and repeated the cycle

Folks this is completely off thread because a few got offended with me accepting autocorrect in reference to Martin Mcguinness name. I repeat, I apologise for that.

I will also go back and see can I change ‘Irish’ to ‘northern Irish’ in the title as it seems that has also upset people Tbh I don’t think I could have told you whether it was the Irish or ni protocol at that point and wasn’t aware of the nuance Now I certainly am

now can we get back on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You can't think of another team that represents more than one sovereign country? The lions, the Ryder Cup.

Is it crazy that the English and Scotish nation have their own international football and rugby teams when neither are sovereign countries. So why is it crazy for the Irish nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Agree this is all getting a bit personal (didn't intend that with my posts anyway), best to leave it and stick to the NI Protocol.

Despite things seemingly calming down somewhat am pessimistic. I just doubt it has a future unfortunately, and there will be some showdown over it with the UK eventually.

Looking at recent events, seems to me maybe the Conservative party and their UK media allies etc. exist in somewhat of a parochial filter bubble among themselves (?), which could be dangerous.

They really worked themselves up into a lather over finally getting rid of the vestiges of the hated EU from NI, "cleverly" deploying the Article 16 mechanism as they see it + starting some "do over" of Brexit negotiations with far more pressure deployed on Ireland. Then they had a reminder external to their own backslapping circle what that action will cost the UK (and possibly them too). So they have taken fright, & put the plan on the back burner again in hope of a better time to do it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

In reality the only alternative to the protocol is a United Ireland. At best, with greater political unity,UK might have be able to withstand international pressure to comply with the protocol for a while- but, except for a United Ireland, the protocol is the only solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pretty funny stuff here also, but just to be helpful:

"Irish originated on the island of Ireland and was the population's first language until the late 18th century."

Rugby does it right with an all Ireland/ all island team, and there is no sectarianism, unlike football. That being said, you'll be happy to know that the Irish football team wore orange shirts last night.

• Advertisement

Oh Christ, missed that. Opening more cans of worms. He doesn't help himself.🙁

(Absent that specific "fix" of sorts for Ireland) the only solution seems to me the UK just accepting it can't go 100mph (edit never, never, never km/h...) in opposite direction from the EU on everything under the sun + that this almost maoist aspect of Brexit ideology is totally bone-headed and destructive. It will really get them nowhere except an angry country that is "at war" with all its neighbours and itself. 

Think its been said keeping as a minimum / shadowing the Single market rules in Agriculture/food/environment would solve alot of practical problems with GB-NI Customs. Public in the UK don't want a race to the bottom kicked off in those areas anyway, UK agriculture destroyed by cheap and nasty imports + US "pink slime" etc. shovelled down their gullets.

Despite lack of personal knowledege of the UK I'm pretty certain that was not what "average voter" there expected from Brexit, whatever the masters/leaders of the project or party funders/lobbyists want.

That is entirely different, that is not in normal world competitions. But that said, how do you think Irish fans would feel if the British & Irish lyons said they will use gstq and the union flag and get the queen on the pitch before every game. Does this help you understand?

A United ireland is not in anyone’s gift except the people of OWC and that’s not happening anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The 'average voter' was expecting sunlit uplands and got the marshy bottom of a bad field. A mess in other words.

Haha yeah. This forum would have went into meltdown if OWC had turned out in those shirts 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why? There is orange in our flag downcow. What a ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You keep saying this but its just not true. Both sides of the border need to vote for a united Ireland. The north's vote just has to come first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not everyone is a bigot and can see past colours!

• Advertisement

Francie no idea what you are at. You are trying to turn a bit of friendly banter into antagonistic sh1te

Advertisement