Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The away fans have a big LOI contingent. As Liam Brady says Kenny is one of their own.

This was sang by the singing section in Lansdowne against Portugal too. There would be a good bit of cross over between away fans and the singing section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Hendrick has payed fairly well recently for Ireland and deserved to start the game, although didn't play particularly well last night. I think it's more so he struggled in a midfield two, looked much better when Knight came on. Hopefully the experiment with a front 3 is over, it has not worked and we look so much better with 3 midfielders or two and a ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Got a good laugh out his "Britsh teams" comments. Embarrassing effort at trolling on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

One look at the coat and you'd know he's a spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Pretty funny to see how salty he is, who knew we had a rivalry with Luxembourg? We're all neutral lads, calm down.

Id agree with Holtz on his Portugal comment, I'm delighted Serbia stuffed them. I think they disrespected us in the manner they approached the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I disagree, with the players they had on yellows and considering they’d need a result against Serbia anyway I’m not surprised they didn’t go 100% against us, and if it were us in that position I’d expect some similar team management.

In general I hate when managers complain about teams that other managers pick for games they’re not involved in. Portugal did what they thought was best for Portugal, they don’t owe anything to Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It’s probably been said a few times already but where to from here lads? We’ve two friendlies in March, has it been announced who they are against? And then Nations League starts again next June, do I have that right? Again, do we know who we’ll face in that or has any draw been made yet (or required? I honestly just can’t get my head around how it all works if I’m honest).

It’s funny, anytime in the last few months when I saw it was an international break I could feel myself let out an internal groan but now I’m almost disappointed we’ve to wait a while before getting back into competitive action again. Would have been nice to have more games coming up soon to keep the good run going, hod knows how our form will turn out in 3-6 months time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully a couple of the players will be more established in their teams and none get injured.

Interesting times ahead for a number of them. A championship loan for Bazunu next year would be a natural progression. Could have stiff competition for the number 1 spot late next year if Travers is playing EPL regularly. Omobamidele can hopefully retain his spot at Norwich and put himself in the shop window for next year. Knight the same.

Friendlies will be a good opportunity to experiment. I would like to see Scully get a run and we may see the return of Jack Byrne (although Kenny seems to have moved away from LOI as a source of international players).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Happy with the result last night, we were sloppy at times and got away with it, but we are improving and there seems to be a good bond between the players something that Ronnie Whelan commented on last night,

Looking forward to the games next year, Nations League draw is to be made in December, Im hopeful that we will have a strong showing in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

A great result in the end and some of the football played in the last 25 minutes was very good and Kenny's decision to bring Knight on and put a extra body in midfield changed the game.

I don't think it should be forgotten how dire we were until Knight game on Luxembourg totally dominated us and it looked like only a matter of time before they scored. All in all IMO there are signs of progression and Kenny deserves the next campaign.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

They did not totally dominate us. We were the better team and had the better chances up until our first goal (along with a blatant penalty being ignored). Luxembourg were probably better than us for 15 minutes or so of the second half but apart from that, we were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The primary thing I'd like to see going forward with now is consistency. We have a formation, players, and tactics that appear to be working well, I think it's important that we keep that momentum going forward. If Kenny wants to use one of the March friendlies to give some of the fringe players a chance, by all means. But from here on in, I think we have a fairly established first 11 and we shouldn't be deviating too much from it. Unless we get someone pulling trees up for club, we should be sticking with this team.

Also, I'd like to see us take the Nations League a bit more seriously, depending on what sort of prize is on offer from winning our group. Wales for example won our group last time out and have been rewarded with a spot in the play-off's for the World Cup.

The other thing I'd hope to see is that we can get a striker getting to double figures for club form. We're also in dire need of another holding midfielder. If either Robinson or Cullen get injured, we're in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We finished 3rd where to be fair we all probably expected to finish when the draw as done ,

But 9 points from the group is pretty bad going ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,142 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

An awful lot of non LOI people are really getting behind this team too. Crowds at the last few games have been way more vocal than recent years and it can't all be LOI guys. The Kenny out stuff feels pretty manufactured.

Let's not forget the Mexican wave days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In the 8 group games I think it's fair to say that 6 of the results were about what you'd expect from this Ireland team. Losses away to better teams in Portugal and Serbia (and winning in Portugal until the 90th minute) were hardly a surprise. Draws at home to those two were hardly shocking results either. Wins away to Azerbaijan and Luxembourg expected. The 2 outliers being the draw to Azerbaijan and loss to Luxembourg at home. Those were awful alright.

However overall we finished 3rd in the group which is about where most people would've realistically put us at the start of the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Hendrick seems the most dynamic player by far to me the last while? His positioning and passing is leading to many attempts and goals (obvious examples...Ogbene goal last night, 3rd goal against Qatar). You could really see his comfort and "vision" against Qatar. I think his mistakes just stand out because he's not afraid to take on responsibility, which is something we've lacked for years overall imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yeah, Stephen Kenny really showed us, finishing level on points with Luxembourg with 9 points from 8 games. Hopefully the FAI disregard the emotion and bin him. With the young lads coming through an actual manager could get results out of them.

You're gutted he finished 3rd aren't ya? 😂

Not many fans have any interest in going back to the type of muck we had under MON, Trap or Mick. The same washed up players with young lads not given a chance and practical long ball football. There's a buzz about this team for the first time in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

So he finished exactly where most people thought he would finish. What difference in the end does it make if it was 9 points or 15? Same result and position. I said it on many occassions here, i dont see us qualifying for a WC again but we should for an expanded Euros.

Positives are that the team is now playing well and getting results, probably took 3 or 4 games longer than i would have liked but we are, loads of young players getting caps competition at the back, in goal and on the wings. We need some centre mids and strikers to now push on at their clubs.

Its great to enjoy the bitterness people have to a manager that learned his trade in the LOI and now doing well with the senior team. He may not be the man long term but sure as hell deserves the Euros campaign. If that doesnt go well then the FAI should get him out and put someone else in but someone who will continue what Kenny has started.

• Advertisement

I don't believe the friendly opponents have been announced yet (probably waiting to see who will be available).

The Nations League draw will take place on 16th December. We will play in League B and face one from each of the following groupings:

• Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Iceland (Relegated from League A)
    • Finland, Norway, Scotland, Russia (2nd place finishers in League B)
    • Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia (Promoted from League C)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agree, I get the feeling that this is something that Kenny has specifically asked Hendrick to do. At the beginning of Kenny's reign, I rarely recall players trying more ambitious balls through the opposition defence. Now it happens several times a match. I think Kenny's realised that we can't be so static on the ball, that it's useless having 90% pass completion if we're always facing two banks of players that are impossible to penetrate. I think trying the riskier early ball makes a lot of sense, given the type of attackers that we have (Robinson, Ogbene, Parrott, Connolly). These are the types of lads who either have the pace or vision to be making the types of run to create chances.

Yeah, who wants to qualify for anything. We'll see how many happy clappy fans are there when the novelty of being at Luxembourgs level tails off and there's no tournament at the end of the qualifiers.

We weren't going to finish ahead of Serbia or Portugal. To suggest otherwise is just disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

dont forget how good Serbia and Portugal . Serbia surprised a lot of people and Portugal would have won in some of the other groups . We finished well behind top 2 but good performances at home to Serbia and Portugal and a little bit unlucky away to those teams - last minute ronaldo goal and goalkeeper error in Serbia .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I've been really impressed by Bazunu. Would other managers have given him a chance?

I've been watching Ireland for over fifty year now including times when we were awful e.g in the late sixties with Dunphy and Eamonn rogers fooling about in midfield. Lately i was discussing with mates our best ever selection. Apart from the obvious (McGrath, Brady, Giles and the two Keanes) we couldn't settle on a keeper. Bonner, Given and Alan Kelly Snr. were the best but I can safely say the current lad is the best I've seen. That save last night was outstanding.

We haven't qualified for a world cup since 2002. It was unlikely we would have a hope of getting to this one given we are in a transitional phase and have a group of players playing at a level lower than squads who failed to qualify in previous campaigns.

EURO 2024 is the goal and we have a good chance of getting there give 24 teams qualify. We are currently ranked 27 in UEFA so it doesn't take a huge improvement to get there.

Genuine question- Would you like if SK got us to the Euros?

He probably is the best we have had but at the same time Hendrick is probably a better player than Giles due to acroos the board improvement in soccer.

Bazunu has definitely been my favourite thing about Kenny's reign but I wouldn't say he is as good compared to his peers as Given was

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Good morning to you all.

I haven’t watched the match back in full but that is a great win. We have struggled in the last few years to beat lesser teams by a big enough score line away from home.

The home game against Luxembourg was a low point. Very low but it was point we had to reach because you can see the difference it has made to the way we play and the players being given the backing roam from the system and play a bit of heads-up ball. Since then they’ve been outstanding. They aren’t the most perfect performances but what team is putting those in week-in, week-out.

A number of players are rightly getting plaudits for how they’ve played under Kenny such as Robinson, Bazunu, Cullen, Duffy etc but I think someone who is being overlooked big time is John Egan. He has been absolutely incredible in the last few games and it’s not even that he’s doing the dirty stuff you’d expect from a CB, but he’s stopping attacks before they’re allowed to happen.

Of course I'd like to qualify for tournaments. I don't think he will though. So another 2 years down the drain if the FAI extend his contract.

Answer this truthfully, If the FAI pull the trigger and get rid of him, even with all of the fans enthusiasm, who is going to hire him? Dundalk if he is lucky? He certainly won't be going anywhere outside of Ireland and there's a reason for that.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter who hires him after his current role. What matters is how he's doing, and it's clear to everyone bar the bitter that he's got something going and the future is promising.

I'm sure Chris Hughton might get a League 1 gig soon and you and Mr Nice Guy can start following his progress there and shout from the sidelines about how he's the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Hendrick better than Giles???....are you mad?. Giles was one of the best midfielders I've ever seen, completely two footed and could control a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Funny reading back seeing one poster say we would be lucky to finish 4th and get 2 wins and is still complaining about the whole thing.

No problem with getting opinion wrong got many wrong myself but when expectations have been met and more and still complain you know a bit of agenda going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ironically where you state "With the young lads coming through" you forget to mention who made the call on giving those "young lads" their opportunity. You should take off those rose-tinted glasses, and watch the kind of football Ireland have been playing lately. Its quite enjoyable fare. I hope your not some secret love-child of Trappatoni and Liam Brady, forever looking back to the dinosaurs of a bye-gone era.

Bazunu has been fantastic for us. His shot stopping, catching and distribution have all been world class. The only negative thing I'll say is that between the last international break and this one he had a couple of horror shows playing for Portsmouth (back to back concession of 4 goals including a goal where he got dispossessed when playing sweeper). I guess what I'm trying to say is that he has the potential to be our greatest ever keeper but it would be unfair to those keepers that stood the test of time to anoint him as such after only 7 games.

He was completely before my time but i did see a match on TV about two years ago in Dalymount where an older Giles played with Brady and while I was expecting him to be "of his era" he actually looked like someone who could have been playing currently with a decent team.

20 games. 4 wins. Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Qatar and Andorra. Yeah, he's definitely got "something going".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Was his 7th competitive cap last night and has equaled Robbie Keane and Ian Harte as most capped teenagers in competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Thats what I call damning with faint praise. He was withouut doubt our greatest ever. He was integral to the great Leeds team. He wouldn't be playing with a decent team - Pep would have loved to have him.

• Advertisement

Good man, your stock replies are great at missing all of the context available. Keep it up, last man standing now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's done well but that's going over board,

He's actually made terrible mistakes in 3 games but he got away with it on each occasion,

He has a great future but to say he is better than those who have come before him is madness,

Oh he made the call for Randolph to get injured so that Bazunu got a chance? Did he also make the call that O'Shea got injured so Obamamidele got his opportunity. Mystic Kenny, eh? Was it not Mick that gave debuts to Byrne, Cullen, Parrott, Connolly, Travers, Collins?

Not even sure he watches the games just comes on here with his agenda. Its embaressing. Kenny deserves the Euros, he may or may not be successful (i think he will at least get a playoff). Again they cant suggest an alternative. Haughton is not an alternative given his salary and the fact the game has passed him by. Fans enjoying the games, stadium rocking, players loving the coaching yet some want to break that up and change in the middle of something that is building. Makes loads of sense alright 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully he can get a loan move in January but his could be an issue. Along with Cullen they have cemented themselves as the midfield two for us this campaign. Issue being now is who can come in and replace them when needed. Injuries, suspensions, and four games in 10-12 days next June is going to test our squad and players we're dependent on.

I just picked 2 players at random to point out that increased fitness make every player these days better than a player of the 60s. Giles 2 feet would be no good when he can't even get the ball due to not being able to even catch Hendrick or whoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Do you think any other manager can get this squad to qualify for a tournament?

If not, it's pointless sacking him. Give him more time to let the team develop under him. There are signs of progress. We eventually finished where we were expected to. Some results have been poor, some have been good. He hasn't done as poorly as some would like to make out.

If you do think there is someone better out there, who is it? And how do you expect the FAI to afford their appointment given the mess their finances are in?

probably best to stop feeding the troll at this stage lads

To be honest its kinda fun watching him turn himself in knots!!

For those who same Kenny hasnt made any changes....

The other game was Gibraltar away under Mick

Let's look at Mick's wins in his stint. Gibraltar x 2 (that 1-0 away game was putrid stuff), Georgia (barely), New Zealand 😁 and a shoddy Bulgaria.

You're a gas ticket in fairness though 🤣

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement