Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Wheres Jack Dunne?

Good to see Joe McCarthy back from injury, same with Dave.

1st A appearance for Charlie Tector who was given an academy contract recently from what i've heard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any sign of the A game being broadcast anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That would be a nightmare for Dunne if he's picked up a knock

5-5 at halftime, two yellow cards for leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's up with Dunne?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I see Leinster won 8-12 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

For the love of Jaysus. He was playing so well too. Big opportunity for the Byrnes to impress.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All he's missing is 2 European games, that Leinster don't really need him for anyway.

Even if he didn't get injured, you can bet he'd have been spending most of the next period of fixtures on his sofa anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Exactly. If he's out for 4 weeks, he would return for Leinster away to Montpellier. He potentially wouldn't have played until then anyway even if fit although I imagine Leinster would give him 50 minutes against Connacht to get him back into the set up.

He shouldn't (and I doubt he would) feature against Bath in Dublin. That's a game for HB.

Sexton's availability revolves around Irish matches as it has done for several years. If this happened during the 6N, I suspect the duration of his absence would be halved.

probably a good thing for Leinster long term, get Harry games.

Leo will most likely settle with RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it's not the worst time for JS to be laid up, if he's to play right through the 6N.

The concern would be, how stone cold the lads who aren't playing for Ireland will be, not just at Outhalf. Couple of hefty interpros and then Europe to follow, its putting it up to the squad for sure.

It's a big segment of the season coming up. I think the lads will be pumped up and ready to go. Ulster up 1st! It will be a cracker. Our side will be strong, even minus the international players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Indo is reporting that Ross Byrne and Peter Dooley are considering moves abroad. The former to a French side and the latter to Harlequins.

Byrne is clearly valued by Leinster, but it looks like Andy Farrell views the younger brother as being a greater long term prospect. Dooley has always been good for Leinster too, but never really broke into the strongest 23. Porters re-emergence as a loosehead also means he's probably fourth choice in that position.

I'd hate to lose either of them, but I think we need to be prepared for a few departures from Leinster over the coming seasons. Money is going to be very tight considering how so little revenue was generated last season. There is also the issue of less game time for players as the URC has fewer fixtures.

Also remember that Furlong has only signed on for this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While I wont totally dismiss it... they're represented by the same agent and this story was broken by ROC already a few months ago and didn't get legs. Although Ruddock wasn't involved this time around which is heartening to see.

Until I see the announcement I'll assume nothing more than agent kite flying and I hope ROC enjoyed his free lunch. EDIT: apparently it was Cian Tracy - point still stands

Couldn't begrudge either taking the chance to be honest.

I've really liked what I've seen from Dooley for a number of years. I'd have rated him on par with Ed Byrne but Ed consistently gets the bigger minutes and international call ups. He's definitely too good to be 3rd choice loosehead (4th choice if you count Healy still). There are a lot of clubs in Europe where he'd be knocking at the door for legit first team minutes. He'll be 28 next season so coming right into his prime.

Ross would be a marquee for some teams also. While he has his flaws in his game the reality of it is his kicking game is the second best in Ireland in terms of off the tee and out of hand. Defensively he's the second best 10 in Ireland behind Sexton too. He's a super passer of the ball too

Athletically he is a limited player which is why he hasn't kicked on internationally.

I could see him earning a lot of money in France and really thriving. As per Dooley - there are a lot of teams in Europe who'd be lucky to have him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it would be for the best. Injuries permitting, and assuming he is as good as predicted, Harry Byrne has to be starting games regularly from now on and Ross deserves better than the occasional game. He's a top-tier kicker and could do a job with a lot of sides, particularly if they have big packs to give him a platform.

Dooley is not getting any game time and his career is dwindling away at Leinster. If Quins are ready to play him semi-regularly on he goes.

Do the two players have the same agent by any chance?

Yeah, I can understand the decision from Dooley if this is true. He's almost a year and half older than Andrew Porter, so the implications for him from Porter's switch back to LHP are huge. Add in the fact that Healy is still around for a bit longer, Ed Byrne isn't going anywhere and Michael Milne has shown glimpses of good quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can’t see the IRFU not moving hell and high water to retain Furlong. Can’t say I’m surprised about Dooley, he’s far too good to be playing AIL. Though I would have thought Connacht would go after him. I would be very surprised to see Ross Byrne go, unless the money is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think with Ross Byrne, this would be an easy decision had the league format not changed.

In previous years, Ross Byrne would be playing week-in, week-out through international windows and being pivotal to Leinster's success in the league particularly where Sexton/Harry are off with Ireland. With Sexton/Harry now 'available' for every domestic game, Ross' gametime shrinks so it may be time that he sees greener pastures abroad.

I'd be reluctant to lose him as he's been a solid and fantastic servant to Leinster, particularly with the other's injury profiles but it would be hard to begrudge him a move when he's now at least 4th in the running for Ireland and 2nd/3rd for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

It would surprise me if Ross moves, and I think he did some media rejecting the idea after the last round of media speculation, but if he did where would that leave Leinster at out-half? Johnny and HB, the former in the closing stage of his career and the latter with a spotty injury record. Frawley has been put on the twelve track, they could reasonably repent on that decision. Otherwise, the academy prospects have not done enough so far to arouse great expectations.

I don't think Ross Byrne's game time for Leinster going forward is going to be affected a whole lot by Sexton. Don't want to sound like a broken record but Sexton is not going to feature a whole lot for Leinster, he's going to play some minutes when he needs to get fit for Ireland and he'll play the big european games.

Ross Byrne is still going to play virtually every league game and probably some of the euro games too. But he may have higher ambitions than this, or may want to make hay while the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Ross Byrne in reality is the starting 10 at the moment for Leinster and has been for the past few seasons. Sexton comes in for the odd cameo which is more rare these days than ever. With Sexton due to retire any day soon and Ross in line to take over totally from him I don't see why he would move now. This is what he has waited for.

Even if Sexton goes to the next WC all his games will be with Ireland, take this AI for instance, I doubt we will see Sexton again till he gets a run out before the 6 nations with his injruy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I guess it depends what you mean by ‘starting 10’ but Sexton is always selected when fit for any of the bigger, knock-out games. Unless you’re starting those games, I don’t see in what way you can be considered starting 10.

Having said that, I’d be a bit surprised to see RB go. If he does, and Sexton retires in ~2 years, it’s pretty much pinning all your hopes on HB. (Unless there’s another wonderkid coming up behind in the production line that I don’t know about).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No I can’t see Leinster willingly letting him go. He is still very much second choice behind Sexton and the likely successor should he retire. Frawley isn’t a 10, neither is Hawkshaw really, though he is played there. It would seem unlikely that this is anymore than speculation or kite flying by his agent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We could give Flannery or Crowley a good few games a season if Ross left.

This may seem harsh, but IMO Ross Byrne is a solid 8/10 player who will do the job for you week in, week out and is capable of pulling a great performance out of the bag now and again thanks to the quality of player in the team around him raising his game.

I think he would be mad to leave as I don't think he'd get the same platform anywhere else that he'd get at Leinster.

From a Leinster POV he's the perfect player to have on the books, a solid player who will be available to play most weeks as he has a decent injury record and isn't going to regularly disappear with Ireland.

I call agent bluster on this one.

Dooley on the other hand, I don't understand why he'd stay.

I can't see Dooley staying. The only way would be Healy retiring and Dooley competing with Byrne for the sub jersey. Then there's Milne. Milne looks like a very powerful and mobile lh. So Dooley would probably be thinking about his future. I think he could do very well somewhere else.

I doubt RB would leave. Even if HB gets by him, Sexton could retire at anytime! Leinster would want to hold onto him too. There's no academy 10! RB would only leave for a big paycheck and I doubt that Leinster would short change him. He's been crucial for Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 shinana abu

is charlie tector not in the academy?

Advertisement