Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The reply will be ‘he still got us to a Euro 2020 playoff’.

When the only reason we got to that playoff was because we finished last our Nations League group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

1. Yes I do. I think Kenny is hopelessly out of his depth. Again, 20 games, 4 wins vs absolute minnows. Have people forgotten that Andorra were beating us until the butcher, baker and candlestick maker ran out of steam??
    2. There are plenty of out of work managers. Kenny is on 0.5m so that is obviously the FAI's budget. That is huge money for an international manager outside of the big countries England, Spain, Germany etc. and oil rich up and coming teams. So i don't buy the finance argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hyperbole much?

Given had a 20 year Ireland career, spent his career in the Premier League, his error to games ratio was very, very low. While Bazunu has been immense and has such a high ceiling, it's far too early in his career to be labelling him as our best ever.

Is that the same "shoddy Bulgaria" that Kenny could only eke out 2 draws from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yup - so you agree hardly a measure of anything. I love the way you are moaning about the 4-1 win against Andorra when Mick scraped a 1-0 against Gibraltar.....fooking Gibraltar!!! You're some laugh though. This is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

1. Still won the game, didn't they? What is more important to you the performance or the result?

2. Fair enough. But which names would you think would do better than Kenny with this group of players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just waiting for the "he got us to a play off" line now that must come out every month after games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Should Knight not have got man of the match?

its great to see kenny turning things around in a big way. Id say the FAI would have sacked him after the first Luxembourg game if they had the money to get a new manager in. Lucky they hadn't a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Name some of the managers they could target for €500k p.a there for a laugh please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

For me he should have. His introduction changed the game and had an involvement in all three goals. Hopefully he kicks on even more and gets that move to a bigger club next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is deliberately mis-using statistics to create an agenda.

Two of those games where we had 500+ passes were the 1-0 defeat to Luxembourg and the 1-1 draw with Azerbaijan.

The irony is that in the return legs to both games that we won 3-0, we achieved it using far fewer passes as we changed the tactics changed and we mixed it up with some more direct play

The 3-0 win against Azerbaijan stands out in particular. Azerbaijan had a whooping 577 passes, as opposed to our 342 - https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2030929--azerbaijan-vs-republic-of-ireland/statistics/

People need to stop fetishizing attempted passes as some sort of barometer of success.

I understand qualification and how the playoffs work. My answer would have been that Mick had us 1 goal away from automatic qualification. 1 goal. Now in fairness that was only to finish second in the group. For us to finish second in this group we were 8 points and 8 goals off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

First of all Hendrick and Giles should not be in the same conversation, come on ☺️. Giles played in league winning teams , should have won a European cup and was one of the best midfielders in England for years . Hendrick has done well lately but can’t get into his club side in the relegation zone .

Also Bazunu is brilliant and I wouldn’t bet against him being our greatest ever in the future but because he stayed on for 2/3 years longer than he should have and had a very poor Euros at the end we forget how good Given was for us . In a team of Keanes , Duff , Dunne etc Given was often our man of the match and nobody came near challenging him for years he was so good . I think he was recently voted Newcastle’s best keeper ever and was in the top 5 premier league keepers for years .

I have no doubt Bazunu will make it in the Premier league but Given was our best ever at the minute imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And you honestly believe that was an achievable position for us to aim for? To finish ahead of either of Portugal and Serbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every player these days is not better than the 60's, that is absolute nonsense.

The game is about more than fitness.

Hendrick isnt fit to lace Giles boots.

Giles was two footed, had a great footballing brain, a good shot, could tackle and was deceptively fast.

To think he wouldnt be able to catch Hendrick or any other modern day player is utter delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

A strange game last night. 3-0 doesn't really accurately reflect what transpired over the 90+ mins.

For over an hour we looked edgy and vulnerable at times. Bazunu pulled off a world class save in the first half. 2nd half, Gerson really fluffed it when he was one on one with the keeper. And I'd say we were a little fortunate their goal was ruled out too. Duffy certainly made a meal of the limited contact. Things could have worked out a lot different, we did ride our luck somewhat. If we'd gone two or three behind, could we have turned it around?

The game turned after the Duffy goal. They started to tire and Knight made a fantastic impact.

Overall fairly pleased with the improvements over the last three months or so. On balance it's best to keep Kenny on imo. He's building momentum and while the best results have come against weak sides, there are definite signs we're improving, the group are together, they believe in the manager and some of the younger lads are showing great promise.

Still work to be done. Defensively we should be tighter and also need to get more from our central midfielders, particularly against weaker teams. Hendrick was fairly anonymous last night until we went 1-0 up. I'd prefer to see us with three in CM. And Robinson and one other up top.

I don't have one. I'm not a mind reader. I'd advertise it and see who is interested. From those that apply, draw up a shortlist and go from there. Hardly rocket science.

Maybe, maybe not, but we should have been there or thereabouts pushing them, like we did to Denmark, who are currently the form team in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,142 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya Giles had 2 feet in an era with way slower closing down and way less ground covered per player. He would be utterly gassed by half time.

Comparing players from different eras is pointless which is why I said players need to be compared with their level compared to peers. Comparing Kelly to Bazunu directly is nonsense. Look at that famous "amazing" Banks save and you will see a ton of current goalkeepers who could pull that off but it was seen as insanely athletic at the time

No Hendrick isn't fit to lace Giles boots because Hendrick is a barely average player compared to his peers where as Giles was one of the best of his generation. But put Hendrick in the 60s using a time machine and he would look unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ireland had a stonewall penalty not given, their keeper made 1 or 2 saves in the first half (main one when ogbene hit it straight at him), so they rode their luck too, wasn't all a one way street.

Was a nervy game last night, start of 2nd half in particular. The change was identified and made, and boom, comfortable after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The players love playing for him. The fans who actually go to the games clearly love him. For the first time in forever we are actually playing modern, attractive football and there's a great atmosphere surrounding Irish football with a genuine excitement for the future, but you're hellbent on getting rid of him with no obvious successor because we finished 3rd in a group when we were expected to finish 3rd?

You've been blinded by your odd hatred of Kenny. You want him gone and are certain the FAI will find a better coach out there who'll move to Ireland and take the job for €250k (net), but yet you cannot name a single coach as an example.

You're all deluded.

We haven't qualified for a World Cup in 20 years but you think a team in rebuild mode should've been there or thereabouts? Are you actually serious?

And we finished in the same position in that group than we did in this one.

You said earlier we needed one goal, which we needed against Georgia and that was a truly horrific performance which showed we learned absolutely nothing from and we were played off the park by Georgia again. What's the point in those performances against Denmark if we can't repeat it against Georgia? Is that not the drum you were banging earlier in the campaign regarding Luxembourg and Azerbaijan?

That group we scored 2 goals away from home in 4 games. Only Gibralter scored less.

This time around we scored 9 goals away from home, more than any other team in the group. We haven't been a team like that away from home in a long time.

If we had beaten Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home we would still be in third place in the group. I really don't know what it is you expect here. We were third seeds, we played to third seeds.

But but but Ireland is a powerhouse who should be whipping minnows like Serbia.

I was glad to see it brought up last night in the post match. Irelands problems are deep and complex but people too keen to take the easy option of just screaming about the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The main thing for me is Irelands games are exciting regardless of which way you look at it.

Your heart can be on your mouth at times while they mess around with it at the back and then you're on the edge of your seat after the 25th pass in the passage of play puts us through on goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭briany

Replacing Kenny right now would be roundly unpopular, and the FAI must know that. Players and fans appear to be behind him, in spite of the rocky start to his tenure, and he's finished in a way that was - if you don't want to say 'strong' - shows an upward trajectory, and I think the majority right now are open to at least seeing where that goes.

There are things I would like to see Kenny tweak, like his attitude to long balls is a bit overboard. It can be pretty nervy watching the players trying to pass the ball out of danger while deep in their own half and not even consider just lumping it out of danger. Yes, it'll most likely land back at the opposition's feet but at least it will be up in the opposition half.

We didn't need it against Georgia. That was a dead rubber game. We needed it in the second game vs Denmark. You arguing with me without having a clue what you're arguing about.

Yeah we all remember the absolutely turgid stuff under MON and to an extent under Mick. Puke football to say the least. I went to the Ireland - Georgia games in 2016 and 2019 in the Aviva under MON and Mick. It was absolutely dire stuff on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Comparing average players from today to the best of yesteryear is a little bit pointless. Yes, technically if you beamed Jeff Hendrick back to the '60s he would be far fitter than everyone else that that would make him stand out. Similarly if you were able to beam '60s era Giles to the modern day he wouldn't be able to last the pace of the modern game. The thing is though, in time both of them would probably adapt to the regimes of the day they were in. There is an argument that in Giles' case he might not have the natural physical fitness to keep up with the modern game even if he trained. Similarly, Jeff Hendrick might not be able to adapt to an era of awful pitches, heavy balls and being absolutely clattered by opponents on a regular basis.

As Giles himself is fond of saying: You can't really compare players from different eras.

You're right, I actually got my maths wrong.

However, you have too, massively wrong.

First of all, that Georgia game wasn't a dead rubber. We played them away from home on October 12th, a full month before we played that second game against Denmark (which was the last game of the campaign).

Also, if we ignore the Georgia game which you strangely want to do, then that goal we needed against Denmark still leaves us 1 point behind them at the end of the campaign. So tell me how I'm the one who hasn't got a clue yet your scenario still leaves us in third place?

I'll admit I got my maths wrong, however I know you will refuse to admit the same and continue to argue a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was Georgia at home in 2019 not a decent enough performance? I went to Tblisi later that year and the away game was the one that made me want to scratch my eyes out. Thankfully Georgia is a good spot to visit but I have mentally blocked out the football match.

Maths isn't your strong point. We can 100% agree on that. We went into the Denmark game needing 1 goal to get us qualified ahead of them.

Denmark 8 4 4 0 23 6 +17 16

Ireland 8 3 4 1 7 5 +2 13

Thats how the group ended. Now, and this is the math part. We drew 1-1 with Denmark. Now if we'd gotten the one goal we needed, that would mean you take one point away from Denmark, that would be 15. Now we also add 2 points to Ireland as we got 1 for the draw, and it's 3 for a win. That would put Ireland on 15 points. So that one goal would have qualified us. We'd have been on the same points. 15 points each.

It's literally adding and subtracting numbers ranging from 1 to 3.

Not is was poor but looked back at the stats and Georgia had more possession and we had 2 shots on target in the whole game. The key difference being that we won so the mood music afterwards was positive. If it had been a draw the reaction would've been very different. Like it was a few months later in Tbilisi after that 0-0 draw.

And that is fair enough. Hold my hands up.

However your claim that Georgia away was a dead rubber is still nonsense.

And we never did get the goal (in either game) because there wasn't anywhere near enough ambition for it. We still finished third, we played to our seeding in that group and we did the same in this group, all while trying to blood in a whole new generation of players.

In my argument it was a dead rubber. My argument was that we needed 1 goal vs Denmark, Georgia didn't matter. 3 points vs Georgia and we still needed to beat Denmark as our goal difference was a lot worse so we needed to beat them to qualify on head to head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe getting the win gave me some rose tinted glasses. We were living on scraps at that stage. Watching the games was exhausting.

The great thing about last night was that you could enjoy the win for the last 10 or 15 mins rather than watching the team desperately defend a draw or 1 goal lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I wouldn't bet against Giles catching Hendrick now even at 81 years of age!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

That's total bollocks if Giles played now he'd be just as fit an Hendrick and a far superior footballer in every other department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

This is the first time I’ve ever heard someone argue that a match is a dead rubber after it was played.

The Georgia game was a crucial one, and considering we could still qualify it was hugely important for us to get a win there to have any chance considering our last 2 games were against the Swiss and Denmark.

The same night we played Georgia Denmark beat the Swiss, a win would have meant a draw in Switzerland would have us almost there because Denmark would have most likely secured qualification before getting to Dublin.

Us settling for a draw in Georgia basically put the final nail in our campaign.

Yes I know that's exactly what I said. Try reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Giles played until he was nearly 40 , saw him regularly live for Ireland and Rovers, he was completely fit. Where did this stupid idea that players today are now fitter than players in the 60/70/80's come from? Never mind Giles, Hendrick can't compare with the likes of Liam Brady or Gerry Daly from that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am still in the ‘wait and see’ camp on Kenny don’t want him sacked but I am not sure on the new contract either. Not fully convinced. Plus if the FAI wait there could be better quality managers available on the cheap that have lost club jobs, would love the job and need to get back in the shop window.

Example Mick McCarthy who is able to mix styles based on players available play to strengths and cover weakness. Mick has much more pragmatism than Kenny and is far less idealistic. He would get results against big sides when it counts IMO - hard to beat. It does mean hoofing it for the sake of it either. Organisational stuff structured.

Like boards there seems to be ‘Kenny in or Kenny out’ in the media very little middle ground.

Example- Lisa Fallon - ‘Kenny has captured the hearts and mind of the nation’. Not sure that is true seems a bit OTT to me looking at the overall picture.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely that's not even a debate footballers of today are far fitter than footballers of yesteryear , Fitter & faster,

Giles & Brady where far better footballers than Hendricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

Couple of questions on this:

Until when do you give him?

What do you expect to learn about him between now and then that we haven’t learned about him since he took over?

Also I think this notion that there’s top quality managers out there just ready to hop into the job on the FAIs budget fanciful at best. The majority will be looking for another club job and wouldn’t give Ireland a second look, and odds are the ones that would want it on that money probably aren’t an upgrade.

As long as I’ve supported Ireland this has to be the most critical fans have been about a manager(Staunton excluded). Managers nearly always get 2 campaigns, why should this be any different?

So get a new manager in that the players may or may not perform for and who may or may not take to the job? Whatever else about Kenny he knows Ireland and the Irish players better than anyone and they know him too. Are we willing to lose another qualifying campaign (ala MM reign) to see if that might work? Crazy

Not to mention in Giles day in particular creative players got kicked all over the place. Watching any clips of Brady and Giles you can see what great football brains they had/have. Saw the pass great movement always seemed to have time. Mentioning Hendrick in the same sentence as those two great. . It might as well be Paul Green you’re talking about!

Mick McCarthy is a well respected knowledgable international manager. The bit I don’t get about the Kenny debate is it seems to be assumed by some that Kenny is the ONLY option. That to me is crazy. As for players not playing for a new manager they are pros. At club level it happens all the time and the players adapt. I just think there could be better options than Kenny out there at the end of his contract. I would rate Mick McCarthy as a better calibre international manager than Kenny. Just my opinion on what I have seen. If there is no better available than Kenny stick with him fair enough.

Also you are assuming Mick would lose a play off I would argue greater chance of winning than Kenny.

Did you watch us under Mick's stint? The rubbish in Gibraltar or the horrific performance in Tbilisi??

• Advertisement

Until the end of his contract I would give him. To see if better options appear such as Mick IMO. Why give Kenny only one campaign he did half his job blooded youth - but there are question marks over his tactical ability and his focus on ‘philosophy’ rather than results. I think Ireland need a more experienced manager if possible. I see Kenny as a stop gap so it allowed a clear out of deadwood. If there is no better such as Mick etc - fine keep Kenny.

But I don’t see him pulling up any trees in future. His teams are easy to play against for half decent sides IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement