Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wow, genuinely didn't think we had a performance like that in us. Even at half-time I thought we had blown it by not putting the dominance into enough points.

Arguably one of our greatest ever performances. Thought the whole 23 were great. Keenan is a joy, brilliant to have a 15 who can attack, defend and distribute. And we could have played better, there were some errors along the way.

I wonder will time tell this was a poor ABs side (compared to their usual standard) or were we really that good.

If we can keep that level of performance up in the Six Nations it'll be time to get excited about the World Cup! That tour to NZ just got a lot more interesting, they'll be out for us in a big way.

I'd hope for a few changes for Argentina - if Coombes is fit let him loose, Timoney too. Some of the front row need a rest. Halfback maybe, some of back three.

It really was one of the great days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we can keep that level of performance up in the Six Nations it'll be time to get excited about the World Cup!

Please can we not do this again.

We had a good win, we're still the 4th best team in the NH. We'd do well to win 4 games in the 6N. Any talk of getting excited for world cups is ridiculous at this stage. We're probably 8th favorites.

This is how we're doing it this time 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

what a performance. the taste of egg never felt so sweet. i was so utterly wrong.

I thought it was make or break for Af in terms of getting people onside.

He's only gone and done it. Like Kenny in the soccer, it seems people have finally accepted there is change. thats all people like me wanted. He's given caps, and now he's clearly evolved how we play.

i do think he needs to start Joey. I think Murray will get a run as he can't be bombed out of the side. I'd have Casey on the bench. POM will start as well. There won't be many changes. I took umbrage with this in Japan game but now i can see the bigger picture and see that AF has been true to his word about having a vision.

I'm a bit worried about Joey after that game to be honest. He got turned around a few times in defence which is starting to become characteristic of him.

Slotting those kicks is massive though, his confidence should be brimming after that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Don’t see what you gain/learn by starting Murray or Herring.

Injuries aside, I’d only be bringing in Sheehan, Coombes, Carberry & Balacoune.

No point playing a patched together team that’s never played together before. Minutes for Carberry at 10, in a settled team/system against decent opposition should be the priority for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think we'll learn a lot about Carbery this weekend, he's not going to get an armchair ride from the forwards against Argentina by any stretch and it's likely to be a backline that has never played together before.

If he can perform reasonably well on Sunday, I think we'll all feel better about the future.

Be great to see H Byrne get 20 mins too.

I assume most of those who started the first two matches will sit this one, so maybe;

Healy Herring Bealham

Henderson Baird

Beirne Coombes POM

Murray Carbery

Earls Frawley McCloskey Baloucoune

Zebo

Sheehan, Kilcoyne, TOT, Dillane, Timoney, Casey, Byrne, Hume

For a team with 14 changes, that's still a reasonably seasoned lineup.

(Don't know what Henshaw's status is?)

Post edited by Former Former Former on

i mean Murray has gone from being Lions captain to being genuinely upsurped as number 1. I think AF will show him some loyalty and give him a game.

It wouldn't be my choice, i'd back Casey. But i think Earls, POM, Murray will get the nod. I can see the merit in it. That would still be my main fear though, we head into the World Cup without genuinely testing some lads. When Sexton got injured i think we all had a bad feeling. Going into the WC with a 38 year old version would be negligent.

I genuinely want to see Baloucoune in there. i still think the one thing we are missing is a bit of out and out zip.

After that you need to give Joey the game. I feel sorry for the lad. the injuries ruined his career. i hope he can salvage it but the pressure Munster fans are putting on him is getting ridiculous. With two youngsters coming up behind him, it doesn't bode well if he plays poorly against Argentina.

yeah i think that has to be the side. If Henshaw is fit he probably slots back in. You get the monkey off your back with Zebo if you play him and dampen down some of the hype etc. If he plays a middling match, AF can sort of park all that.

you give some of the older lads who have been clearly upsurped some gametime to keep all onside.

A win playing that side, and 3 out of 3 means Farrell has earned all the plaudits. Its been a long road to here, but its finally coming together. and we have options that are still outside the squad. Leavy perhaps, Stockdale, Carty a few others.

I would like to see Dillane get a spot. another guy i feel sorry for and i feel he wasn't treated all so well in the past with the way he was bombed out of the squad in what must have been a traumatic time for him. he's been training canon fodder for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Start the front row bench, Sheehan to start. Beirne and Dillane/ Baird. Coombes in if he's fit, and Timoney. Casey and Carbery. Frawley and Henshaw if he's fit. Balacoune. Hume and Zebo on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"After that you need to give Joey the game. I feel sorry for the lad. the injuries ruined his career. i hope he can salvage it but the pressure Munster fans are putting on him is getting ridiculous. With two youngsters coming up behind him, it doesn't bode well if he plays poorly against Argentina."

What exactly are Munster fans doing wrong here, exactly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We really need to find some depth at Loosehead. First choice front row has the potential to be one of the best in the world, and I think Bealham has come on hugely in recent years - but surely Healy is going to struggle to be an option in 2023?

If Coombes was just unwell then I'd say we will see him this week and given how the backrow has gone the last two games I'd say he will be looking to have a monster performance.

Agree with your second row and that backrow also makes sense. Murray will start to help Carbery manage things, I'm not sure we'll see that much rotation in midfield / back three but I wouldn't be surprised either. I could see Aki playing with Henshaw if the latter is back fit as both haven't loads of rugby due to the Lions / injury.

I'm undecided on hooker also but I think Herring the more likely and on balance correct choice.

its a common theme with Munster outhalves. at this stage its just getting stupid. take a look at munsterfans if you think i'm overstating things. Joey's getting bashed even on here. he's had a huge time out.

You're criticising Munster fans for criticising a player who's paying poorly. Or are we not supposed to criticise poor performances??

I've defended him as much as anyone on here, given how long he was out for. But he's back since February now and has a full pre-season under his belt. He needs to start stringing some performances together.

Munster fans more than anyone want him back to his best.

Hadn't realised this, but this makes our 2021 look really positive:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Murray Kinsella saying Sexton has been ruled out for 4-6 weeks with a knee injury and Jack Carty has been called up replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Coombes also recovered apparently, really hope he at least makes the bench this weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i see Farrell retaining Keenan this weekend.

most of Argentina's best attacking play comes off the boot, whether bombs or grubbers through ether carreras or sanchez ....... and theres no obvious pretender to the 15 jersey currently.

Zebo is the next off the rank but we have never seen him in this irish system, so it would be a big gamble to play him from the start.

a back 3 of balacoune, zebo and keenan would be my pick.

so a back like of Murray, Carbery, Hume, Ringrose (or henshaw), balacoune, Zebo , kennan.. with a bench of Casey, H Byrne and Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Think I'd go for:

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    3. Bealham
    4. Beirne
    5. Henderson
    6. Doris
    7. van der Flier
    8. Conan
    9. Gibson-Park
    10. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw
    13. Hume
    14. Baloucoune
    15. Keenan
    16. Sheehan
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Furlong
    19. Baird
    20. Coombes
    21. Murray
    22. Frawley
    23. Zebo

• Advertisement

Wouldn't wish harm on anyone but it's time to move on. Blessing in disguise.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

how is sexton being out for 4-6 weeks in anyway a chance to move on?

ireland have one more game for the next 3 months, and sexton is unlikely to have played in it regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Why is it time to move on? he had another incredible game and was by a distance the best 10 on the pitch across both teams.

Not sure why they are calling up Carty, he is clearly not in the picture and they would be better bringing in Healy or some of the other young lads

Yeah good point. I guess I'm wondering is there a chance Sexton takes an injury and doesn't come back from it. He's not getting any yournger.

If we have any grand designs on the world cup, we need to keep trying any of those players you mentioned. I don't want to be relying on a 38 year old outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

The fact he is called up means he definitely is still in the picture and that the decision to leave him out for Harry Byrne was probably closer than we guessed.

And don't bring up the consistency muck about Jack again because the exact same can be said about any of the other out halves (bar Sexton). For better or worse, Carty is very much in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think there's much benefit at all to changing most of the team for next week. It should be a select few changes for them to get proper game time in a near first choice 15. Changing 10 or 11 players just ends up being a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Yes don't mention Carty issues, we should just ignore them. 😂

We are in the AI's and we should be trying out new players. If Sexton is dropped at the end of the season Carty will not be in the mix to replace him and that is the truth. So we should be looking at the players who potentially can, Healy etc

It's a waste of a spot in my eyes. If Carty wasn't good enough to make the squad in the first place they should have used the spot to give someone else experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't want to be relying on someone worse than a 38-year old flyhalf, but we are where we are.

It will make little practical difference to Ireland. Leinster can manage without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ye all have forgot Larmour? I reckon he starts this week.

Argentina will be a good test, so it's a good shout to get new lads up to speed.

I hope HB starts! But, Carberry most likely will.

Sexton has been flying! I want to see another 10 push past him, but he's clearly the best option!

Zebo will be involved. AF needs to give us something to piss and moan about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I didn't see anything that would concern me v NZ. I have to say the only time i saw him "turned around in defence" is when he had to cover across Havili after he broke free from POM tackle and stepped Carbery and then Ringrose.

He is never going to be a Sexton defensively, but he can tackle (e.g. Havili full bore first phase off scrum).

I feel he has proven his pedigree whenever he's been asked. From day one when he came off the bench on his debut v NZ in 2016, to coming off the bench (twice) in Twickenham in 2018 and again coming off the bench in Edinburgh in 2019, he has never let the side down.

His only starting appearances against "Tier 1" was in Aus in 2018 (Ireland were winning until replaced by Sexton) and Japan in the summer.

I would have started him in all these games and i would hold no fear of him getting a long overdue run at 10.

Advertisement