Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Comments

Human Rights Watch found that unmarried Qatari women under 25 must obtain guardian permission to travel abroad, and that women can also be subject to travel bans at any age by their husbands or fathers. On travel and other issues, a lack of transparency over the rules and when they change makes it difficult for women to challenge them. In 2020, airport officials stopped some women traveling without a male relative and insisted on calling their male guardian to prove that they were not “escaping.” The authorities stopped both unmarried Qatari women under 25 with valid exit permits and women over 25, who should not require such permission.

A beacon of freedom for women is Qatar,,, Not the best example considering their approach to guardianship, and the role of women in that society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So you believe Northern Ireland was an intrinsically safe place during the troubles?

There were over 10,000 bomb attacks over the thirty years of the troubles, which if you break it down on a basic mathematical level it equates to roughly 333 bomb attacks per year, but according to you it was safe whilst those carrying out those attacks should have been feared as much as any Islamic terrorist organizations (I'm not disagreeing with that point btw) whilst at the same time not posing enough of a threat for anyone visiting or indeed living in Northern Ireland to feel in any way unsafe.

You'll have to forgive me but I think you're not making a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm using this as an example to point out that not every Islamic society is a talliban/ISIS linked patriarchial society hell-bent on plotting to kill peope in the west. I never called it - or any other Islamic country for that matter a "beacon of freedom" and nor did I comment on human rights issues - I was countering a point were someone said that people who had experience of Islamic cultures were the most concerned about a coming Jihad.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I never suggested it was safe?

What I did suggest is that the majority of people lived in northern Ireland and went about their daily business without cowering scared in their homes, same with visitors to northern Ireland.

And seeing as there was more chance of being caught up in a domestic terrorist incident then there is of now being caught up in an extremist islamic terrorist attack, I wouldn't see any great reason for people to be worried about jihad in Ireland. which is the question of the thread.

I'm using this as an example to point out that not every Islamic society is a talliban/ISIS linked patriarchial society hell-bent on plotting to kill peope in the west. I never called it - or any other Islamic country for that matter a "beacon of freedom" and nor did I comment on human rights issues - I was countering a point were someone said that people who had experience of Islamic cultures were the most concerned about a coming Jihad

Then, you're seeking to argue a position that wasn't made.

The post you sought to counter referred to the posters who had personal experience of Islamic countries, and knew quite a bit about Islam vs those who didn't have any such experience, but sought to defend Islam. There was no attempt to paint all Islamic nations as being the same as the Talliban/ISIS.

But sure, there have been a variety of posters earlier in the thread who focused on the extremist elements of Islam... but they're not the posters the OP was referring to. So..

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You claimed earlier in this thread that you deal with terrorism on a daily basis.

Why should we feel safe from the threat of Jihadi terrorism when someone like Abderrahmane Yahiaoui went undetected in our country for so long? I would assume from your earlier statement that you were personally involved in that situation, so how is it he lived and worked here for the length of time that he did without impediment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but he also referred to us "seeing a lot of terror attacks now across Europe" - which to me sounded a it hysterical. If anything, they've dropped off a lot in recent years.

The post I was replying to seemed to think that people with experience of Islam are concerned about jihadist attacks. I disagree.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Ah yes, the salem witch trials and the crusades, very recent events ...

😴

No idea why you would think I was personally involved in that situation?

He lived in France and Ireland under two different names. That's how.

°°°°°

The numbers of people working on terrorism in Ireland on a daily basis are quite small, my assumption that you would have been involved in some way isn't unreasonable.

Over the course of 22 years he lived and worked here undetected.

Every skanger in the country uses assumed names to avoid the authorities and one guy using two names couldn't be detected? You'll forgive me if I don't feel safe with the likes of you protecting us from terrorist attacks, when you can't seem to form a reasonable opinion on simple issues (Northern Ireland was dangerous during the troubles but everyone felt safe).

• Advertisement

Firstly, I'm guessing you don't know how many people are involved in counter terrorism in this country.

Secondly, this man was dealt with by members from the extradition unit.

Thirdly, he lived under one name here. When he lived in france, he lived under a different name.

And lastly, give up on northern Ireland, I hold a perfectly normal opinion, yes people, including myself, lived worked and spent time in northern Ireland during the troubles. It was not completely safe, yet life went on..... 🙄

°°°°°

Your opinion on Northern Ireland is frankly odd. Life went on during the troubles, but somebody visiting there and saying they didn't feel safe isn't a crazy statement like you made it out to be.

Should I know a lot of people working in counter terrorism? From your contribution here your own knowledge seems a little wanting. That leaves two options, either our counter terrorism personnel aren't all that great (I don't think that's the case) or you don't actually work in that area as you claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

For the best part of 25 years I've lived in a predominantly Islamic Country's, and for extended periods of time, years in some cases. I made many friends ( friendships that are still ongoing), and fully integrated into the Islamic way of life. I celebrated my friends / colleagues family life events... Births, marriages, and deaths. And of course Religious celebrations. EID, Ramadan etc. I've forgotten how many Iftars I've attended ( but for sure, if you are on any kind of diet, they are not for you.😂 ) For the most part, it was an unbelievable experience ( I was in Iran too, and agree 100% its a fascinating country, and an equally fascinating friendly people, but my personal Nr 1 would have to be Damascus ) Ditto Jordan. Afghanistan, libya, Sudan, Pakistan etc I would have no hesitation about returning to any of them, and for sure, I'd be more than welcome back too.

On the downside, I ( and my Muslim friends) saw far too much Jihadi terrorism, but what really bugged me was the fact that jihadis were using the Quran to justify their actions, and my opinion was shared by my friends ( with good reason. Too many of them had lost friends and relatives to jihadi terrorists. And I had more than one close shave myself. And you can trust me on this, experiencing even one such attack, even from a "safe" distance, and surviving it, but seeing the results will really change your mind about jihad. It will no longer be something abstract, what you see on TV, or read about, but a horrific event.

So yes. I'm focused on the jihadi element in Islam. Because, where you have Islam, you can find Jihad. The fact that only a relatively small Nr actively take part in terrorist acts, is irrelevant, its the fact that any Muslim can carry out terrorist acts, safe in the knowledge that it is condoned in the Quran. And each year world wide, there are thousands of such terror attacks, most of them take place in Islamic Country's, killing thousands of Muslims, yet in 1400 Years, they have been unable to change this.

Pre covid, thousands and thousands of holidaymakers visited Islamic Country's, and had the time of their lives, not a terrorist in sight, and they returned year after year. That's fantastic, and I hope that it continues post covid , I'd love to see Mashhad. Kabul and Muzzafarabad again .

Okay, well... if the above is the true point you wanted to make, then, yes I'd agree with you... but your previous 2-3 posts didn't read like the above.

Still.. we're in agreement now.

°°°°°

The most charitable thing I could say in response to that is that if that is the case, you've been playing your cards very close to your chest.

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Probably a good time to start worrying. Yeah

Their tactics dont seem to have a low bar. Theyre clearly desperate and open to ALL options.

And we might be that weak link, even if only for support/preparation/coordination.

There are one or two very viable options consistent with targetin UK which probably shouldnt be mentioned. And involve Jihad here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm hoping mi5 or some other security services have a few lads recruited and embedded over here, seeing as we are regarded as a soft touch.

Apparently a lot of lads arrested for fund raising etc are tip offs from other countries security services.

I recall a few years ago some journalist asking the then minister iirc how many Arabic speakers were in the guards. The minister didn't know which is fair enough, the journalist then asked is their ANY Arabic speaking cops and he still didn't know. Not exactly inspirational!

• Advertisement

'apparantly' you just believe something you heard or read somewhere, with absolutely nothing to back it up.

You do realise that police forces around the world cooperate on lots of law enforcement issues?

How many Arabic speakers do you feel AGS need? How many french, Bulgarian or Chinese speakers do you think they need?

Police will continue to do their job, as they have for years, whether they speak other languages or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's one link after 1 minute googling, I know I shouldn't bother but hey! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/terrorism-arrest-3361897-Apr2017/%3famp=1

It might be handy to have Arabic speakers to infiltrate mosques with extremist imans instead of Mick from mullinahone. Or is that a bit racist bubbly?!

Arabic as a spoken language would not be the most useful. Suggest Urdu and various regional dialects would be more useful. Arabic as the written language would be more use as would be used to communicate across multiple dialects and islamic cultures. Written arabic today would be akin to Latin being used by the educated across all of medieval europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

218km Dublin to Liverpool. Straight line. As per distancefromto.net

So I believe we're now at just 218kms from an actual attack.

There are far better targets throughout Europe, than hitting anywhere in Ireland. It makes very little sense for there to be any kind of "Jihad" against Ireland.

An individual nutjob, yes. Sure, that's possible.. just as it possible anywhere. But a Jihad suggests a degree of planning and preparation by more than a single person.

I don't see it. I've read the thread. I have my concerns about Islam in Europe.. but an actual terrorist threat to Ireland? Nope. The usefulness of Ireland as a place to raise funds is too high... with little to gain from making any kind of attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Cordell

But then again an attack here will send the message that nowhere is safe and no one helping the US in any way will go unpunished.

Maybe.. but they could hit Iceland or Greenland by that same logic. As I said, there are far better targets. France, Germany, the UK, even Spain or Italy, who have all committed troops to actions in the M.East or Africa. These are nations that Muslims abroad would know, and be able to relate to an attack.

During my time living in Asia, I lost count of the time where people didn't know of Ireland. Oh, they knew of Boyzone or Riverdance, but the nation of Ireland? Nope. I've had the same reaction in Africa too. Ireland is not a nation that is well known. Irish people tend to be far more aware of the world, than the world is aware of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes there are better more famous targets in parts of Europe. I mean hitting the capitals of France, Spain, Britain is quite a coup.

I have often wondered how come they haven't hit Rome with all it's christian associations.

What Ireland has in abundance is world leading US multinationals.

And I think one of the things preventing their HQs being attacked is that they would close down islamist fundamentalist traffic immediately.

Only valid understandable reason that some of this traffic hasn't been curtailed already is that authorities want it in the open so it can be monitored.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A terrorist sitting in a cave off somewhere foreign and plotting against Ireland isn't very likely but the equivalent also isn't what happened in Liverpool.

The lad in Liverpool lived there for years, he just hopped in a Taxi to the local cathedral before changing target to the hospital. Many of the other Islamic attacks involved them targeting the western countries they lived in.

• Advertisement

What Ireland has in abundance is world leading US multinationals.

True, but the same can be said for other countries too. It would be easier to hit the offices/factories of US multinationals in Africa, S.America or Asia... but we've seen none of that. In fact, there have been no terrorism directed towards US multinationals from Islamic forces except in very local (M.E.) conditions. At least none that have made much of an impression globally... and it would be relatively easy to do, if you've got access to those with the expertise in bomb making (which could be acquired themselves from information online), and a bit of funding.

Advertisement