Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube - Can It Be Filtered?

Options
  • 15-11-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

My 4.5 year old really only watches YouTube (we don't have a subscription TV service and she's a bit young yet for movies). For the most part I find it fine. There are lots of regular things she watches such as Peppa, Paw Patrol, slime videos, Blippi etc. In small enough doses I don't have an issue with these as they are fairly innocent and harmless. However there is a lot of crap on there that I'd really rather she didn't watch including this one I watched with her today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xFWIKVT6s

Then there's the likes of Vlad & Niki:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHZEGEvM0o

Diana:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8GzjMOrta8yxDcKfylJYw

These last two in particular are all over YouTube in one form or another and they are just awful. The message being given across is all about greed, selfishness and they just don't seem to contain anything positive or wholesome.

Is there any way to effectively filter out crap like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Think you can approve individual video's on the youtube kids app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah try YouTube kids, but tbh, I am not a fan of youtube for smallies.It can roll over onto anything.Do you have Netflix or Disney or access to CBeebies or RTE jr?I used to record Paw Patrol and Octonauts and that one those channels, so they had them watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think that would be quite limiting, as she likes to browse through them with us and look for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I hear you- thankfully nothing untoward has ever come on. I think my our use of YouTube is fairly concentrated on particular topics so maybe that's helped keep it in check somewhat. I do indeed, I have Netflix, Disney and Prime. CBeebies would involve the use of a VPN and that would just be beyond my partner so that's ruled out. There's lots of great content on those platforms but to be honest, I think the random nature of YouTube is what appeals to my little one. She likes going from Peppa to slime videos to something like Genevieve's Playhouse.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The random nature of YT though can be where it's problematic for parental supervision - some years ago there were some You-tube videos that were supposedly aimed at kids but had kink themes - a few in particular where adults dressing up as superheros were chasing each other pretending to pee on each other were ones we encountered. There was no dialogue just music so unless you were sitting right there watching it with them you wouldn't necessarily spot it either. They seeped (pardon the pun) into You Tube Kids as well so at that point we uninstalled the app or hid it on all devices and pretended it was gone for several years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The number of views those videos have 😯

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This is my issue, we tried You Tube kids for a short while and he watched Paw Patrol....he would be sitting in front of me watching while I made dinner or something ....and then next thing I realise he was watching someone making up a story with Paw Patrol teddies and recording it.While it was harmless enough, I was not happy because anything could have been said, and it was not screened in any way, so we have just deleted it as an option.

They like picking programmes on Netflix, although I keep a tight eye on that too as there is some awful rubbish on it.Kintaro, she may actually just like the independence of selecting the things herself and tapping the icons herself. If you moved her over to (for example) Netflix and let her have a say in choosing, she may be happy to go with that too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can you create your own playlist on YouTube and add videos to it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The real life paw patrol is amazingly popular, for some reason.

We use YT Kids all the time for our 3.5 year old and have never had any issues, wouldnt let her near regular YT on her own.

Advertisement