Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I assume you are familiar with the pre war races in the Phoenix Park?

Essentially an F1 grand prix. The fact that the likes of  Rudolf Caracciola competed says it all as regards to the caliber of the event. As other have said, sadly unimaginable today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/the-pride-of-the-irish-race-how-phoenix-park-grand-prix-helped-put-ireland-on-the-map-1.4071678

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Lots of reports that Audi have bought McLaren. The VW group have been gaining interest in F1 so it will be interesting to see what this means for the F1 team. Of course they already own and operate many brands independently so McLaren may continue to function as McLaren, time will tell.

When McLaren sold their factory a couple of years ago so they could rent it back that was probably their death knell as an independent sadly. The final casualty of the stupidly expensive 2014 hybrid formula, after Williams, Force India, Sauber, Lotus, Caterham and Marussia have all folded or been sold. That makes Haas the only privateer left standing, thanks in no small part to Mazepin's family of course.

On the plus side, we're finally putting that awful chapter of F1 behind us and the sport is looking like it could be attractive again to other constructors like VW as the cost cap comes in next year and the sport looks to bring in more sensible engines for 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Why would max get a stop/go when Lewis got a 10 second penalty at silverstone for actually driving max Into the wall

I miss going to the Phoenix Park races back in the 90s when it wasn't unusual for F1 cars to do demo runs, alongside all the local events. Closest thing we had to Goodwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not saying he should have got a penalty per se, just that he could have for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Yes the modern Phoenix Park races are badly missed. I was fortunate to see Stirling Moss race (and win!) there in a classic race. The UK (or Euro?) BOSS championship visited Mondelo at least once, fantastic to get up so close and personal to the old F1 cars in the paddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

My problem is with DRS. I hate it. it has ruined the sport. They've had a full decade to get it right, and we still had every overtaking move complete before the braking zone. There's no skill involved, no tension, the overtakes are inevitable. It was clear as day after the (first round of?) pitstops that Hamilton would win easily. I turned the race off at that point. Not even Verstappen's dodgy defending could stop a car with such powerful DRS.

The 30 laps I watched yesterday is the most I've watched all season, and yet again I'm left disappointed that the on track product is such rubbish. And the fact that the race is being hailed as one for the ages genuinely annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder with these new cars that run better in dirty air we’ll see DRS dialled back in favour of more pure racing

The Irish BOSS Championship is still on the go. No F1 cars that I know of though, mostly F3 and Renault World Series cars.

I do remember seeing EuroBOSS at Mondello in I think 1999 when the International Loop opened. They were great.

I'm not sure why ICE rules are so set in stone until the end of the season when they freely changed the pitstop rules midseason because they didn't like that Red Bull were faster than Mercedes and they changed the rules on rear wing flexing midseason after Mercedes complained about that too. The 5-place rule was a reaction to the likes of McLaren Honda getting 40 place penalties every race when their reliability was atrocious. It was only ever meant to be for exceptional circumstances of poor reliability.

Mercedes are deliberately exploiting it first by putting tons of engines in Bottas' car so they can use him as a test mule, and then using that data to put a fresh engine turned up to max in Lewis' car for a far smaller penalty than the benefit conferred. When a team starts exploiting a loophole like that, you close the loophole. It's not hard, just increase the number of grid places every extra engine after the second one above allocation is a 20 place penalty, effective immediately for all teams.

• Advertisement

The fact they they still included DRS does not make me hopeful.

Anyone who wants VW anywhere near the sport wants their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why?

surely more competition is good for the sport rather than just Honda, Mercedes and Ferrari engines.

Wish they’d bring more tyre companies back too.

Tyre wars pretty much always end up with a fiasco putting an end to it or most the field being left with no chance of being competitive.

As for VW, **** em. Merc love to come into a series and dominate and ruin it. VW tend to do the same. Or what they did last time and shape the regs, have F1 do the yes sir, no sir schtick and then say "Actually, eh no lol".

More corporate nonsense isn't what's needed. They'll talk about balance, fairness and competitiveness but they'll just come in for the dolla dolla bills. It's the direction it all seems to be going in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

McLaren Group has just released a statement saying that the reports are not true and they haven't been sold:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

I agree, it was a solid drive all weekend, but nothing spectacular. Easy to avoid trouble when you are three lengths clear of three quarters of the grid before you touch the brakes. What I was grateful for is that Max and Hamilton actually got to battle on track, without strategy dictating it and the fact that it's closed up the battle for the last few races.

There was a great article in Motorsport magazine which explained Red Bull's enquiry that suspected that Mercedes are cooling the air entering the engine to allow them to gain power for very short periods, and this coincided with their engine problems. It suggested that they can cool the air for short periods to increase the power available and then revert back to normal so it remains within the 10 degree average over the course of the race.

I'm in the same camp on the championship too. Mercedes can't seem to go a weekend without shooting themselves in the foot and too often this season they have been in damage limitation since the Saturday/first lap Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldn't read too much into it. Toto is almost certainly failing to hit his KPIs for this year. In years past he had KPIs of winning both championships, winning x races and gettign y pole positions and z 1-2 finishes and so on. I'd say he's miles off meeting those demands for the first time in years. I'd say he's under pressure personally and all these balls-ups are causing more reaction than hey should.

I agree with the sentiment that DRS often robs us of great races and they regularly make it too easy, but I don't think that was the case this weekend. There was some great close racing through the field and very few overly simple overtakes. The only outlier was Hamilton with his new engine and a 30kph speed advantage over the rest, blasting past everyone else down the straights with zero effort like they were in a different formula. He overtook other cars who had their own DRS open plenty of times, so even without DRS it would have taken one hell of a monumental effort not to win in that car.

The "always involved ongoing discussions and collaboration with relevant partners and suppliers" part of that statement sounds more like a "this wasn't supposed to be reported until our PR team was ready to spin it" than an absolute refusal but we will see. They say McLaren hasn't been sold but that doesn't mean they aren't negotiating and finalising the sale, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

For the moment anyway.

It could be out of Mclarens hands, They have sold the building, Remortaged the classic cars twice! Sold the McLaren applied sciences dept. I don't think they have anything else to sell to spare up cash.

The first report I saw was actually that the middle east backers talking to Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This weekend was the most unhinged I have seen him.

It is uncharted territory for Merc though, usually they have ti all wrapped up by now, or at worst the driers title was between both of their drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why should we expect any consistency out of Masi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There was a Grand Prix - or what the equivalent was at the time - held on the streets of Limerick City in 1930.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He is twenty-nine years of age now so a bit long in the tooth to be still regarded as an academy driver. Ferrari decided he was never going to be good enough for the first team but that he might do the business at Sauber where he has never been better than mediocre. He will probably go the way of Kubica, to endurance racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Unless their are some crashes. This all looks quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

BMW also rumoured to be interested in McLaren for the roadcar business, but can't see them run the F1 team with another manufacturer's engine.

If Audi go with McLaren as a works team, it would surely end the possibility of a Red Bull / VW deal also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Don't see much benefit in Audi buying into McLaren F1 team from a marketing point of view. It's still going to be called McLaren.

McLaren Audi doesn't have the same ring to it as McLaren Mercedes used to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Audi have owned Ducati for a decade and you wouldnt know it at all from the MotoGP side of things. Its still a Ducati factory team running its own bikes and producing sattelite Ducati bikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement