Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was a huge Toney fan and expected him to best RJJ. I came away from that fight blown away by RJJ.

Toney wasn't ever near the class of RJJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Completely different styles and fighters.

For me, Toney was the greater pugilist. I am basing it off his 20+ years career

Best I have seen..

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Worth having a read at this, from the guys who fought RJJ, including Toney. Toney comes across as very genuine and modest himself I gotta say.

https://www.ringtv.com/599435-roy-jones-jr-just-how-good-was-the-former-pound-for-pound-king/

We talk a lot about prime vs prime but no one beats prime Roy. I can see reasons why someone would call Toney their favourite etc but I don’t think he belongs in a GOAT conversation. Waiting for the compelling argument for.

Well, whatever about GOAT status..

as regards talent/skills/toughness status, Toney is right up near the top.

anyway, it’s all personal opinions really.

huge factor in any GOAT debate is name recognition. Here, Toney suffers..

On prime Roy at middleweight I reckon a Hearns is very dangerous. Stylistically very dangerous.

Hagler I’d back to stop Roy late.

• Advertisement

I reckon Jones stops both at prime. A fraction the wrong side of prime and both stop jones

A MW McClellan also very dangerous for Jones!

both him and Hearns could get to Roy clean. Big, rangy, tall and heavy hitters. G man also had a very solid chin..

Lots of MW would’ve been dangerous for RJJ. One would’ve thought Hopkins or Toney would have been a real test for him but he comfortably won both, especially the latter.

• Advertisement

Style wise Hopkins was not near as dangerous as a Hearns or G man. Toney the same. Roy could outbox Toney and Hopkins. They are more boxers/tacticians..

It’s the killers like Hearns and G man who would pose the more danger.

Post edited by walshb on

John Fury has advised Whyte to be praising and lovey dovey to Tyson, and this is his best chance at getting a title shot. Act the hard man and aggressive stance, and Fury might tell you where to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Just had quick look back at first few pages of the tread, jeez the predictions for fury by some on here couldnt have been more wrong. Few predicting early kos of fury by both aj and wilder. Not trying to gloat, just bored at work and read first few pages. Been some turnaround.

but there still was logic in those predictions. So, I wouldn't read into them too much.

Wilder and Fury could fight another 10 times, and it wouldn't be odd, off or silly to think that Wilder gets a win(s).

It's wee little things here and there that can change fights, and more so when you have a hitter like Wilder..

I re-watched the fight again, and a very slight thing that Fury did when he was caught clean by Wilder in round 4 likely saved him being even more hurt, and possibly knocked out. Watch when the Wilder shot lands....Fury moves onto it, but slightly tucks the chin/head into neck/chest, and he allowed himself to absorb the punch better than had it caught him flush to face/jaw.

These split second moments can make wins and losses...

Also, AJ-Fury yet to happen.....Not at all odd to think AJ can win....Yes, Fury will start favorite, but hardly a huge upset should AJ beat him; same for Usyk. I think Fury beats Usyk, but Usyk could make it very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

But hadn't Chisora only about the same amount of pro fights under his belt? And it was for some sort of a British title so it made sense to take it.

And from a tale of the tape perspective it definitely made sense to take it.

I'll admit it was risky in the sense that Fury still had that habit if getting sucked into a brawl and fighting small at times thus coughing up rds and chisora was a step above who he'd been doing this with previously but it was definitely a shot worth taking and it paid off.

"Paper champ" is pretty harsh on Joshua is it not? He beat an ageing wlad fair and square and took the belts just like Fury did. Tis no one else's fault that Tyson f#cked off for an extended holiday after getting his titles.

And upon his return only one of the big 3 was seen as a big big draw and that was Joshua. And I say all this someone who has really fallen out of favour with how AJ has performed of late and was delighted with the Usyk win.

Fury came back to fight a wilder who'd lost about 12 cumulative rds to ortiz before stopping him with straight right bombs in both fights. The fact he'd been so easily outboxed for large parts in both fights though was the carrot for Fury. The fight was a struggle to sell out/didnt sell out and it didn't do the numbers hoped.

At the time the big big money was in a fury Aj fight or wilder Aj fight. It didnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

For somebody supposedly so skilful Toney was regularly outboxed.

Nunn couldn't be caught on the cards before the 11th round finish.

Against the slick Reggie Johnson, Mr. Indestructable was put on his arse in round two form a single left hand. By no stretch of anybody's imagination was Reggie Johnson a big puncher. A lot of people (me included) thought Reggie won that fight.

Both Mike McCallum fights were close tough fights, where there was a strongman v a slickster. Toney was NOT the slickster. His head was knocked back repeatedly by 35/36 year old McCallum's jabs and he was made look very, very amateurish by McCallum's pivoting. He did however, land the heavier punches, so it's a case of what you like. However, don't waste your time watching the commentary that includes Sean O'Grady's non-stop fawning over Toney; even as Toney was swiping at thin air, he was praising his 'skills'. O'Grady sounded like he had marked his scorecard before it even began.

Roy Jones fight. 12-0. Different class!

Montell Griffin beat him twice. Griffin was a very skilful operator, yet Toney is the one that gets praised for his 'skills'.

Drake Thadzi wasn't quite the nobody that Dave Tiberi was, but he wasn't a whole lot better. He lost to any decent fighter he fought, but he beat Toney.

Unlike others, I don't go on about fighter's losses when they are miles past their best, but I couldn't let go the fact that Samuel Peter actually outboxed Toney in their second fight. Peter was a strong, hard-hitting and tough heavy, but Toney was probably the only boxer he ever outboxed.

Toney fans never shut up about his win over face-first sluggers Iran Barkley and Vassilly Jirov. I don't like being disrespectful to boxers but everybody those two fought was more skilful than them! They relied on toughness, workrate and good power. Three years before, Nigel Benn destroyed Barkley in one round. Four years before, an ancient, fat Roberto Duran beat Barkely. If you were to get a computer to create two boxers to suit James Toney's style perfectly and make him look way better than he was, it would have created Barkley and Jirov.

Back in the 1980s certain people used the term 'media creation' to disparage the great Sugar Ray Leonard. Well, I use the term 'internet creation' to describe James Toney's skilset. Since the advent of the internet there has been a small cohort of dedicated, deluded, disciples of James Toney who go on and on and on and on about his talent and skills. His performances and results don't back it up.

t

Im a huge fan of compromise! Roy greater athletic talent and James greater fighting talent!!! Happy days

Fight fans need to watch Toney-Nunn closer. Nunn was an exceptional boxer: Tall, fast, rangy and a lovely mover. Top 3 P4P in 1991.

The cards don't tell the story, and nor does compubox. Toney was not being clearly out-boxed. Hell of a lot of Nunn shots being counted were blocked and parried and slipped. Toney was the one landing the harder and cleaner shots all night, breaking Nunn down mid to late rounds. Score cards were not as wide as what was happening. It was a far closer fight.

That win from Toney was far from a lucky punch. Nunn was being broken down, and it was Toney getting on top the last few rounds. It was an excellent display from Toney. In the pocket all night slipping, parrying and countering solidly the whole night. Pure innate skills.

Great fight and show from both men. One best MW fights the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Jones was better boxer than Toney & showed it when they fought,

I guess it depends on what style you like ,

Yep...agreed....

Two very different styles. Jones for me was more an athlete come boxer and Toney a born fighter.

Both exceptional boxers/fighters/talents

I have 0 issue with anyone saying RJJ is greater, or the GOAT. It's just a bit silly when some take it a bit oo serious when any analysis and assessment may appear to be negative.

What I love about Toney was his fearlessness, calmness, coolness and balls in the ring. I don't think I have ever seen a more calm and composed boxer/fighter. Nothing phased him.

And his actual skills were beautiful to watch. Cleanness, preciseness, smoothness. As well as one of the greatest inside fighters ever.

• Advertisement

This is it there more than one way to skin a cat,

Its very personal when deciding a GOAT

Yes.....so many idea and views and opinions, and how one weights each area/criteria.

The MW/SMW eras the past 40 years probably has thrown up the tastiest debates/fantasy scenarios of all time.

Imagine a tournament at 160-168 with Hagler. Hearns, Leonard, Nunn, Eubank, Benn, McCallum, Jones, Toney, Hopkins, Froch, Kessler, Ward, Calzaghe, Canelo, GGG, McClellan....

Likely none come out undefeated...

Gotta give poor oul Collins a mention in there too. He’d give plenty of them problems

I was thinking him, but needed to draw the line somewhere...

Looking at the list I'd have the top 5 as Ward, Calzaghe, Toney, Jones and Kessler....as in these lads probably do best in the tournament...

Collins took longer to mature & went the hard road to get there but on his day he;d give them al la fight, (maybe not Ward)

God would Hearns or Hagler not beat Kessler? And Leonard!

I always feel that Ray Close got a very raw deal too. Showed the vulnerability of Eubank and then Collins had the blue print

Kessler was excellent. Big solid guy. Very good boxer/puncher. Rock solid chin, could punch. Hearns be taken out mid to late. Hagler/Kessler be a barn burner.

Kessler bit too big for Ray I reckon..

Look at the issues the far inferior Lalonde gave Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Genuine question: Why is it when James Toney moves his head to avoid punches it's called a 'slip' or a 'roll', but when Roy Jones moves his head to avoid punches it's called 'reflexes' and 'athleticism'?

Frig I dunno. I think Hearns would have far too much for him. Far faster and he hit hard too. I never thought Kessler was all that busy. Thought that’s why Froch beat him. I liked him but wouldn’t have him in that company at all. The size would have been an issue for Ray alright.

• Advertisement

Prime Kessler was circa 2006/2007. Hearns would definitely have the frame and reach and size and boxing skills.

I just reckon Kessler has the size and chin and power to take Tommy mid to late. Tommy will land, and often, but I’d be confident that Kessler takes it, gets to Tommy’s body and closes the show..

Advertisement