Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

When does the retailer get to see the user's card number in your hypothesis? Because if they don't your whole theory is bollocks.

They likely won't, it's a contactless transaction. The card doesn't leave the customer's hand. If they happen to however, the retailer is unlikely to know all the UK IINs to identify UK customers to select the GBP option.

Aside from that, there is no PIN request on any card terminal in the Republic of Ireland for any contactless transaction. Dynamic Currency Conversion is also not applicable for contactless transactions.

That's everything covered I think. I'm short, your hypothesis is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's the terminal that sees your card number, not the retailer but my intention was clear.

The retailer chooses to offer dynamic currency conversion and its not for the customer's benefit.

Also, given you call BS without being @rsed to prove it, I'll call BS on both of these.

the retailer is unlikely to know all the UK IINs to identify UK customers

I literally posted a link disproving this (albeit it is the terminal and not retailer)

Dynamic Currency Conversion is also not applicable for contactless transactions.

My experience would suggest otherwise and here's a link to a Mastercard document showing they do accept DCC for contactless below the threshold.

DCC Guide 20.02.17 EN.pdf (mastercard.com)

Anyway, post something to backup your BS call or I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

You can send money to your Revolut account from multiple accounts - it has IBAN, so just transfer money from another banking app as usual. Also someone can send you money directly using Revolut app, if they are also Revolut users.

I am looking for a second card - as I want to keep 1 for my personal use, and use the other as "joint" account (but on my name only). Is second card with different IBAN? Does anyone uses Revolut as an alternative to joint account?

I quote the first paragraph of your hypothesis back to you again, where you clearly lay the accusation of theft at the retailer, not the terminal.

"The summary is the retailer guessed your base currency was GBP based on your card number. They then saw the opportunity to make a bit of profit by charging you in GBP at a poor FX rate."

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've already clarified it's the terminal that determines the base currency not the retailer.

The retailer enables this by allowing the dynamic currency conversion option for their own gain (many don't allow it). I didn't accuse them of theft, just opportunism.

Not informing the buyer is against the rules though as I've shown but you've ignored that as well.

Anyway, I've backed up my claims so am finished with this argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

How does the retailer gain from a currency conversion?! Makes no sense.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The facility is provided by the merchant's service provider so one would presume that the service provider profit-shares with the merchant to encourage merchants to sign up for DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's certainly the case for Elavon

https://www.elavon.ie/customer-centre/user-guides/dynamic-currency-conversion.html

In addition, you gain additional sales potential and even increase profitability as Elavon will rebate a share of the conversion rate to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks, but not a Twitter person, and revolut have not mentioned Twitter, I have emailed feedback with my phone number etc(as a friend used their app to chat with agent), but after a week no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

Does it cost money to withdraw from an atm with revolut on the basic plan? In ireland/eu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Not if it's under €200 a month

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi another quick question I can’t find any info online about, when I buy something off Amazon with revolut in the transactions in the app it says “Earn cash back with revolut pro” and a present icon on the Amazon ones.

does that mean if I upgrade from the free one to the Plus plan there are different rewards for that ? Amazon being one of them ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s one IBAN. You can have as many cards as you like but you only have one account so there’s no way to separate funds

You could use the vault function but you’d need to move funds from that into your main account to use that amount (and your card will take from the main pot without differentiating

Revolut isn’t suitable for (and doesn’t claim to be) joint accounts. It isn’t (IMO) suitable for everyday banking at all really, but it does have uses elsewhere of course

Thank you :) So it is not an option ... what is the purpose of the second card then, if it has the same IBAN?

I may open N26, or use my VISA card as "joint" account (I don't use it much for anything else). The other free option is EBS.

What do you think a joint account is? It's a bank account with a single account number and IBAN that two people are authorised to use, typically with their own card with individual names and card numbers.

There's no reason a different person wouldn't be able to use a second card, apart from that you'd probably be breaking Revolut's Ts and Cs

Well a joint account with 2 different names on cards in other banks only has one IBAN too. IBAN is for accounts, not for cards

For me I have a physical revolut Visa and a virtual Revolut MasterCard (linked to phone)

I use the physical card when travelling and the virtual for online only

Revolut is NOT joint account. I wanted to order another card as I thought it will have different IBAN, and I can separate joint and personal transactions. I wanted to continue using Revolut for only my transactions as well, and use the second one as "alternative joint account".

Revolut is personal account, on one name and I don't think it is allowed to give second card to another person. That is why I don't understand what is the purpose of second card....

It is ok to have 1 IBAN for joint account, I understand that :) The problem is I want an extra account, I wanted to keep original Revolut for my personal use, and looking for another IBAN just for joint account. But it seems like it is not possible with Revolut.

I never said it was, though people do use it as one all the time, against the terms.

It sounded like you were looking for a joint account with different account numbers for each person. So you're looking for a personal account for yourself with its own card and a different account with multiple cards?

I am looking for free joint account - ideally on both names, one IBAN, classic joint account. There is a fee for that in every bank, apart from EBS.

I thought I can use alternative with Revolut. It would be on my name only, but I'll use it for grocery shopping, bills etc. But I already have Revolut that I want to keep for only my transactions. So it is not an option, as @Dodge pointed out.

I can open N26, or use VISA card (I am not using it much at the moment). I understand it is on my name only but can be "alternative" for joint account. My partner would transfer agreed amount every month and all common spending could go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Does the person you want to use a joint account with have a Revolut account? If not they could open one up and order an extra card and you could use that as a shared account. Or Number26 is another option. I know it’s not a joint account in the traditional sense but personally if you’re looking for no fees I’d rather go this route rather than using EBS with no app or Apple/Google Pay.

My wife and I use our main Irish bank for wages, bills/direct debits and savings and all other spending we use my Revolut account. We have two cards but I can’t remember the last time I used my physical card as I always use Apple Pay.

Yes, he has Revolut too and prefer to keep for his personal spending.

We can use one Revolut as shared account, but then each time someone spends something personally they have to remember to transfer from their main bank account ... which is not a big deal actually. I'd still prefer extra account - so N26, or my VISA.

I still don't understand - what is the purpose of second Revolut card?

Myself and my wife share a curve card, she has the physical card I use it in Google pay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Out of interest, why do you say Revolut is not suitable for everyday banking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

People’s every day banking is very different these days, so you’ll get better responses if you list the services you need. For instance my ‘every day’ here in Switzerland does not include the use of a credit card or an ATM, but I eventually do need to get cash, but I could live with it being inconvenient as I probably need it above once a year.

I would be of the same thinking, rare access to cash and no credit card. Basically an account to pay expenses from and pay day to day expenses with contactless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you say pay expenses, do you mean by SEPA, if so then having an account with a widely accepted IBAN might be a filtering criteria for you. As you may have seen some people have had issues with this.

Well, for example, Revolut has announced scheduled maintenance today for 7 hours. It likely won’t effect me but I have been effected by previous downtimes

As others have pointed there’s also some issues with the LT IBANs and the GB coded cards and of course there’s no joint account option

[REDACTED]

I’ve been a customer for over 4 years and it’s saved me a fortune. I just couldn’t commit fully to using it as a bank account

Post edited by Jim2007 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I hope I can be forgiven for not reading the previous 106 pages but just wondering what revolut are like these days for transferring money to foreign accounts? I used to use Transfermate but it's been over a year and they are now saying the minimum transfer is 100,000 if I want to set up a new account. I've had a bad experience in the last 6 months with revolut so use it rarely enough these days.

• Advertisement

Advertisement