Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam of Darts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Think Dobey needs a 5-0 win to have any chance of qualifying as he's currently on -4 legs. Wonder will that effect him if it goes 2-2 for example

Edit: ignore that. Rowby-John and Bunting already have 2 points each. Dobey was out regardless of this result.

Jeez, Dobey made hard work of those last st couple of legs.......Ryan threw some nice arrows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Class effort from Schindler. Some amount of 140's he hit mid game to the end

Jeez...... lost my €20 on Price!!!!!!!

Brilliant final/9th leg from Schindler.......I DID NOT see that coming

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Jaysus, some height on Boris!

• Advertisement

Krcmar leaving in a complete huff there 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Not sure what was up with big Boris there? Didn't even shake hands with Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nice match between Brooks and Rusty. Great pace of play and they hit plenty of 180's. Just a bit ropey on the doubles which was understandable

Ratajski fairly blew that one

Class darts from Rowby John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

In fairness the qualifying criteria is known well in advance and Aspinall didn't do enough to qualify. He has no one to blame but himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Most of the players are aware that the GSOD is not run in the same manner as the other PDC events. It was originally sold as PDC v BDO.

To be fair to him Aspinall hasn't complained about it yet. He has about 40 tournaments a year so its a long way away from the years before Hearn got involved.

It was a bit odd that Wade and Gando were moaning about the BDO being included before. It helped them build their reputation and a lot of the BDO players switched anyways. They were slightly fortunate they were there just before the PDC pro tour got extremely tough.

First 4 games tonight should all be fairly straightforward....

Michael Smith, Joe Cullen, MVG& mensur suljovic......... hard to see any of them NOT winning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Hard to see, but Smith is seemingly doing his best to make it a reality 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Yes indeed, but I' have thought that for a TV tournament of this magnitude you might have an exemption for the top 10

I'd rather see Aspinall play over some of the dross on show this week

And don;t get me started on Barney......

How on earth did Sherrock do that? That was unreal! and 170 to win it out after 4 legs on the spin! Just class :D

Especially after blowing the first leg

Holy 170 match winning checkout Batman!

141 and 170 were class checkouts. She looked to have hit more 140s than Clemens as well

Great performance from Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's kind of an anomaly the way it's worked out in his case, but I don't think it means there's a flaw with the qualifying.

Like either winning or runner-up in any of the last 10 TV tournaments would have got him a place. Or winning just 2 of the 30 floor events. It's actually pretty mad that he's maintained a ranking of 9 without fulfilling either of those criteria. Clearly he's had lots of quarter/semi appearances along the way, which will continue to get him into the TV stage of all the other events. This one is like a 'Champion of Champions' event rewarding those who binked an actual win, even if some of the wins are in dubious events/challenger series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great stuff from Sherrock

Good to see the crowd behaving themselves during her match too, very little booing of Clemens from what I heard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It really was incredibly impressive from Sherrock. Both the 141 and 170 checkouts were under huge pressure, she really has fantastic composure on the big stage.

However with all that being said, she still doesn't have a tour card. I wonder if the PDC are trying to think of ways to somehow giver her one without making her go through Q-School.

Tonight's games look fairly underwhelming, especially the last two.

1. Ryan Joyce v Rob Cross
    2. James Wade v Rowby-John Rodriguez
    3. Gerwyn Price v Bradley Brooks
    4. Jonny Clayton v Nathan Rafferty

The only game there I can see a 'possible' upset in is Joyce v Cross, you'd be inclined to think its a 'given' for Cross to take that handily but I wouldn't put money on it.....Ryan Joyce is throwing some beautiful arrows last couple of Months. I'm a big fan of Rob Cross & think he's a brilliant finisher but.....mmmmm...... like I say, NOT a game to have a punt on.

Could she earn one by default if she climbs into top 62 by end of world championship? 2 more wins in grand slam will put her 67th in OOM and just leave her 4.5K short of 62.

Yeah she could, I think the last player to do that was Ratajski. He earned enough in a year to get into the top 64 and won a card without going through Q-School.

Rowby-John Rodriguez is another who doesn't have a tour card but could win it back by getting into the top 64. He's more likely to do it than Sherrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

So she needs to make the semi final of the slam plus win a match at the world's while hoping no one around her in the OOM wins anything? Doubtful.

Amazing that she couldn't get a card through the development tour or Q school despite how well she plays on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I agree that beating Mensur and Wright/José is unlikely; but the route of beating Mensur and two matches at the Worlds isn't really out of the realm of possibility, especially if she gets a good draw at the Worlds.

That would put her on £45k, which based on the current provisional rankings including the WC would be 60th place. Then it's just a case of hoping that she doesn't lose more than 4 places from those below her getting lots of money.

Ryan Joyce with Tetris shirt/walk on?

Great to see Rob Cross back at 'top level' performance.....great numbers/ finishing. He kinda 'lost his mojo' after becoming world #1 but I think he's got an unbelievable talent/knack @ thethe oche. When he first hit the big time, beating p Taylor etc. I had him pegged as the new MVG..... thought he'd be world#1 for several years. Ryan Joyce met his 'Waterloo' in that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

He was never world number 1. He also won a major TV title in each year since he joined the tour. His consistency let's him down alright

Advertisement