Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Go back to Jan 2020. Imagine hearing that you'd need to show vaccination certs to get a haircut.

Imagine hearing that Austrian kids would need vaccine papers to leave the house.

Or that elderly french would need boosters to keep their vaccination status.

Or that Italy would require you to be vaccinated to have a job.

Or that conversations would be taking place about masking up young kids all day long.

And we're not even 2 years in. You'd have to be very naive not to be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

its crazy we don’t get this info.

I would have thought it’s fairly important to know if 60 year olds + who are vaccinated are ending up in ICU well then the vaccinations probably aren’t as effective as we hoped considering numbers are increasing and icu is serious illness.

Concurrently it would be important to know that there are 60 year olds + (with no underlying issues) who didn’t get the vaccine and the end result is they end up in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

In January 2020 we didn't have a pandemic

Vaccinations and mask-wearing are used all over the world for different scenarios (including for children) and have been long before COVID

Take a breath, relax, none of this is "worrying" or even outlandish in many corners of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

The issue is why if they tweeted the wrong result by accident,why then didn't they replace it with the supposedly correct tweet/poll results?I mean mistakes happen just retify it asap,it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

To be fair anyone getting on with life is probably not sitting watching Claire Byrne talk about covid. They were probably out enjoying the fact we've basis no restrictions.

• Advertisement

This is the overwhelming majority of the country. Most have moved on including me. Turn off the TV and get on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hospital numbers down 8 this morning. Not a huge drop, but admissions are down and discharges are up on this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Problem is, there are a minority driving the call for restrictions, mostll lead by the media, who believe they are in the majority.

No restrictions? You must be confusing us with England.

I still need to show my papers to get tea. Sounds like that will be extended now to gyms and haircuts.

Pubs are still stuck to table service. Masks are still required in lots of locations.

Huge numbers are forced to work from home when it's not an ideal work space for lots.

One of my parents was rushed to hospital the other night. The other couldn't go.

Im not allowed to go inside my son's crèche and see how he's doing. And I'm sure we've all seen the programmes on what can happen when they think people are not watching.

2 wooded areas near me are still gated up with COVID 19 barriers blocking them off.

We're still very much restricted. Probably even more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hospitals survived with over 2,0000 covid patients last January. Can we get through this wave fully open with less than 2,000 in hospital ? Thats the million dollar question that needs to be answered. Boosters will help.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Have to admit, the more we go through the winter, the more I think we should hold off on any more "lockdowns" and by that I mean, closing shops, restaurants, telling people not to mix, etc.

The only show in town has been covid for the last 20 months and to be honest, the restrictions are still causing chaos. We have kids so we are probably more in the middle of it than some, but the bugs that are going around among kids are unreal. I have had 5 headlice notifications from the kid's school so far this year - in 2018, 2019, and 2020 we might have had one, maybe 2, all year. Coughs, colds, temperatures, vomiting, everything is rampant on a weekly basis, along with covid. Getting a GP appointment is extremely difficult, it's at least a 2-3 day wait and that isn't good with kids as they can go downhill extremely quickly. A lot of GPs and DDoc are just referring to A&E now, and the children's hospitals are flooded. And it's not covid. It's every other thing that they have not been exposed to for the last 20 months and now cannot access prompt medical care for. This has been going on since late September, so it has nothing to do with sudden surges in ICU. On top of that, you have quite a lot of people who have left niggling problems for the last 20 months, and are now trying to access doctors and medical care for it. The whole thing is a disaster, and to my mind, it is primarily caused by heavy handed restrictions left in place for too long. If we introduce these again, we just kick that can further down the road, and there appears to be little or no appetite for the health service to improve access to medical care for ordinary people.

I know other countries are introducing some restrictions now, but the difference between them and us is that they lifted their restrictions far earlier than we did, they allowed the mixing to happen, and spread out the effect of that mixing over a longer period in better weather when it was probably reduced. (on top of the fact that their health services are simply better resourced than ours) Why on earth we thought that reopening in October was going to work - it didn't work last year, and yet somehow we learned nothing.

I don't know what the Health Service is going to do. It needs some fast, innovative thinking and planning ahead, and that is not coming from NPHET or Government. But I don't think closing up the country is going to work again, as overall it is far more damaging than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The hospital stats over the past 7 days are quite encouraging.

7 day average of the number of covid admissions is 40 as of this morning. It was 39 1 week ago, and 41 2 weeks ago. Not exactly exponential growth.

The 7 day average of covid cases confirmed in hospital (this includes people who caught it in hospital and people testing positive in hospital but being treated for something else) is 73. That's 20% higher than 2 weeks ago.

I can see hospital numbers stabilising shortly, but ICU is going to a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ya covid hospital numbers aren't too bad

the big issue is ICU'c could barely handle normal winters, adding COVID on top of them could create chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you suggesting immunity to head lice is acquired through exposure? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Spot on!! But there is inklings that some journalists are turning against NPHET and government. Daniel McConnell for one, wrote an excellent article at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Absolutely genius

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What's different today is a new layer of NPHET projections and more government worry. 150 looks quite possible but hopefully 200 will not be reached. At that point everything else will have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

All NPHET documents should go to the government and the government should be holding all press conferences alongside NPHET. It's ridiculous having the health minister say one thing and NPHET say the opposite on the same day. It would also stop journalists from getting their soundbite for the day if it is always Donnelly answering the open questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

is it looking like other scheduled operations and medical care will be cancelled because of the covid numbers in hospital?

If that’s the case what’s the plan going forward?

If we open up anymore we’ll end up with more numbers in hospital which means less care for others.

If we don’t open up all the way we don’t get a proper functioning society\economy.

Is the answer to vaccinate the 1/5 of the population who at the moment can’t be vaccinated to reduce the spread of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Qoute for the day, Mr McConkey. Pay heed lads and lassies 😛

““In December 2020 we all had a great time and we shouldn’t do that again,” he said.””

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Shane Coleman a mouthpiece for NPHET! Brain dead! Ciara Kelly is spot on in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I actually feel sorry for the guy, literally everyone just laughs at him at this stage

God that's awful radio isn't it. Is that what people are listening to on newstalk? Reminds of Adrian phone show when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats amazing to me is the competency that these people attribute to RTE, NPHET, the government etc. CIA/KGB levels of infiltration and secrecy.

Thats the silliest thing of all. To think RTE et al are capable of sustaining such a lie. Really stupid thing to believe. Astonishing thought process really. Have to feel somewhat sorry for anyone stupid enough to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

NPHET have been an expensive failure from an economic and health point of view.

Persistent use of the globes longest, strictest lockdown's all the while having the globes highest case numbers.

A high death rate, considering our young native population demographics.

One of the highest vaccine uptake's in the world, while currently having the globes highest case numbers.

The lockdown related effects of alcoholism, mental health, obesity etc will scourge the nation for decades.

NPHET never once factored human behavioral patterns into their reign of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its not their job to factor human behavioral patterns into their suggestions. Thats up to the goivernment. NPHET are an emergency health advisory committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A response typical of a group insulated by unions

"That's not my job".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They’re a public health emergency team. Public health requires discussion around human behaviour. They literally have people from the ESRI on the modelling team.

Advertisement