Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Don't listen to Pat Kenny so no idea what you're blathering about but blaming the hospital crisis on Covid is more political misdirection.

"“Ireland’s beleaguered health service continues to break records in the worst possible way. Our members are working in impossible conditions to provide the best care they can.....The government need to immediately initiate a major incident protocol. We need to cancel elective surgeries, stop non-emergency admissions, and source extra capacity wherever we can." Covid? No, INMO on the worst ever week for hospital overcrowding, January 2020.

Maybe that was early covid cases we didn't know about? Nope. 2019 had already broken the annual record for patients without beds before we even hit December.

There were over 400 fewer inpatient beds at the start of 2020 than in 2010.

There were 427 patients waiting on beds last Wednesday. The corresponding second Wednesday in November 2019, that figure was over 40% higher - 603. (Source)

Frontline healthcare workers are horrendously overworked. But the fault doesn't like with unvaccinated people, or people going to pubs, or travelling abroad, or barbers, or whatever. It lies with the politicians who have repeatedly failed to invest in a chronically underfunded health system. We've two former minsters for health running the country, frantically trying to blame everyone but themselves for the chickens coming home to roost. Sadly, it seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I dont necessarily think we should go into lockdown now (certainly dont want it!). It'd be interesting to look at the UK, they peaked a few weeks ago and last I saw they're on a downward trajectory again (admittedly, I havent looked up UK data recently, nor do I know what their hospitalisations & ICU numbers are like). Hopefully they are going the right way and we will vere that way as well, very uncertain few weeks ahead.

I think they're more petrified of the January **** show again to be honest but you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The earlier closing of pubs and restaurants worked well over the summer where we had zero COVID cases and everybody was good little girls and boys and didn't go to house parties at 11:30, oh wait, sorry that was a dream

If the spread of COVID is really what they want to stop they should push the hospitality closing hours out further into the night to discourage house parties, it will only make a small difference but it would be in the right direction

Cant blame the government/nphet/hse/medical staff for that either. Hospital outbreaks are a function of community case load and no matter how perfect someone is with their PPE, you will inevitably get hospital outbreaks.

• Advertisement

We have one of the best funded healthcare systems in the world.

I have stated multiple times that passes serve no significant purpose at this statge. Doesn't mean I feel sympathy for idiots who refuse to get the vaccine, or that any of the horsesh*t spread around this place, especially the personal nature of some of the vitriol and the constant seeking of individuals to project rage onto, is any less horsesh*t and doesn't deserve to be challenged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Sorry. I was reading some of last nights posts which seemed to be a lot more extreme.

I'm at point where I'm beginning to despair. My partner is a health professional in a hospital and it is like slavery.

It seems like the solution is quite simple, get the vaccine/ booster.

The non n95 masks that everyone uses appear to provide little protection from delta and even if we locked down I'd imagine the supermarket would still be a great place to spread and pick up covid19.

I don't know what to say to my partner, I guess they chose the profession but it's like slavery now and has been going on too long.

When it matters the government are cretins. Housing crisis, hospital crisis, transport crisis etc. If they cannot deliver a health service with all the money they got, (bear in mind new entry consultant doctors took a 40% pay cut in the recession) maybe drastic solutions are needed such as refusing entry based on a metric such as QALY, (quality adjusted life years). This is what happens in the UK, it's pretty horrendous.

Our options are.

1. Lockdown - everybody suffers.

2. Make slaves out of hospital workers again and have ICUs in car parks.

3. Tell our most vulnerable to **** off and die when sick.

4. Set up a Gulag for unvaccinated in Carlow and become an autocratic state. I honestly have sympathy for many unvaccinated who are often physically/ mentally vulnerable.

I don't want to see my partner end up working 3.5 weeks again without a break in a really traumatic environment.

There seems to be no easy options at the moment and it's hard to take anyone disparaging the vaccine which is obviously the simplest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not the house party animals who are ending up in hospital! It's much older groups where vaccinations did not do enough to protect them or where they have not been vaccinated. As always hospitals are full of people with underlying conditions.

But the vaccines obviously haven't worked?..

The extra 7% of people taking it won't make a blind bit of difference?..

There have been certain ostracised medical professionals saying that you can't vaccinate your way out of a pandemic from the start, and you risk making matters worse, which it looks like may have happened..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Same here for the winter months so one would cancel out the other.

I have been there a number of times and even in summer early and late in the day with care homes you see many of them outside. Sometimes even in the middle of the day out in the shade of verandas. Probably out there whether they like it or not as it leaves it easier for staff to do housekeeping. Not something you could do here in the depth of winter.

You are correct in everything you say but I think you have misread my post... I am specifically referring to the SPREAD of the virus, not the damage it does

Pubs, restaurants and nightclubs are controlled environments, everybody inside one is vaccinated, there is limited mask wearing in them and they are regulated to provide social distancing where possible. Also names are taken at the door for contact tracing purposes.

House parties have none of these yet this govt just agreed to close pubs at midnight from Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The U.K case numbers are trending upwards again and their average daily deaths are higher than they were for October, so it looks very uncertain there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Curfews back for the pubs and clubs effectively closed down again. What a farce.

Live: New midnight closing time for nightclubs and bars (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be fair, I don’t think it’s as much him having been mistaken as it is him simply changing his tune. The high level of vaccination has done much to remove a great chunk of the ethical oppositions to keeping things open which even I, as a consistent critic of the lockdown approaches adopted here, still accept existed. That is because vaccination has greatly mitigated and reduced the human cost, in terms of deaths and hospitalisations, of the reality that we must face and endure Covid rather than perpetually seek to suppress it. Those who have not opted to get vaccinated have only made the ethical argument of the lockdown advocates that bit harder to overcome — and while they are free to choose not to get vaccinated, they must accept that they are part of the problem too.

The potential problem with Martin’s thinking, as has been the problem with the Irish government’s thinking in general for quite some time now, is that it has always been mired in short-termism (i.e. address an immediate problem with short-term measures). And so here they are again, presented with an immediate issue of rising infections and suddenly the long-term pathway (to which the high level of vaccination now gives added benefit) seems to be at risk of getting blurred by the societal and media demand to do something — or to at least be seen to do something. They need to show steel now and be willing to set out the plain reality that living with Covid invariably means actually living with Covid, which means the virus will spread whether we keep kicking the can down the road or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Unbelievable!! So basically that's the nightclubs closed down again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It makes it look like they're doing something though, which is of course the real goal here.

I wonder will the pubs be open for the two year anniversary of Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

all guns blazing on the restrictions front anyway

reduced hospitality hours, extended use of the cert into further sectors of society

Honestly I find such steps backward so disheartening.

Do people really believe that this cert will be gone any time soon? It is there now and it will continue to extend and evolve.

Oh no they're still open, just now they'll be closing at midnight! I wonder if there's a loophole that they can reopen at 00:00:01... if I were a nightclub owner I'd look into this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

They didn't even stagger the closing times. So lots of packed luas and buses full of drunk folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ffs pub hours changed again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The pub change isn't too bad though is it? It's 12.30am of a weekend anyway isn't it? Or maybe I'm off there. Hazy ha.

But the nightclubs thing is some blow to them after a few weeks open.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Application to change thread title to "Reimposition of Restrictions"

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• Advertisement

I know people involved in the nightclub industry. This is going to devastate them again and another nail in the coffin for businesses they have been building up for decades. Absolutely sickening.

Advertisement