Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

and they are being treated exactly the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Well yes, that's true I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

And to think, some people say Bill Gates has no sense of humor!

Au contraire my friends, I beg to differ. 😀

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Canadian woman diagnosed as suffering from 'climate change'

symptoms include 'hot flushes', etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

An Irish story today.

I thought it was a joke at first to be honest.

‘We will no longer be performing or releasing records under the name Girl Band. We apologise for choosing a misgendered name in the first place and to anyone who has been hurt or affected by it.‘When we were starting off it was chosen without much thought, from a place of naivety and ignorance. We had no grasp of the weight of it at the time and in the past few years have found it impossible to justify or explain this choice.

‘Regardless of our intention the effect of the name has been damaging to individuals . To Try and negate any unfortunate role we’ve played in propagating a culture of non-inclusivity in music or otherwise, we have decided to change it.

‘Thank you to those who spoke up about it and educated us on this. Either directly or indirectly Moving forward we will be performing and releasing records under the name Gilla Band. Gilla being a given name taken from old Irish.’

• Advertisement

‘Regardless of our intention the effect of the name has been damaging to individuals . To Try and negate any unfortunate role we’ve played in propagating a culture of non-inclusivity in music or otherwise, we have decided to change it.

this makes no sense, it'd make more sense if it was an all female band with the name 'Girl Band', but they're lads, all about inclusivity IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭randd1

To be honest, the whole thing reads like a Waterford Whispers article. Indeed, most of the woke stuff does in general.

A headline of "Trans Woman Successfully Sues HSE For Stating Women With Functioning Penises Can't Bear Children" would have been seen as a farce headline of a spoof magazine years ago. These days it's a headline in the news and it's called enlightened.

Madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Acosta

The only reason I could think of before reading their statement that they would be changing the name is because it's ****.

Girl band, as with boy band means a manufactured pop group. Always assumed the name was just a play on that or whatever.

I have seen many bands with just girls and would never think to myself "oh look it's a girl band." I'm thinking the same thing I would be if I see an all male band. Will they be good or not.

This is bizarre, but sure whatever makes them happy.

Just came across this, thought it was relevant

Boris Johnson should be sorry about the Owen Paterson affair but actually saying so would do him more harm than good

Daniel Finkelstein

A couple of weeks ago the Royal Court Theatre announced that it was making a change to the name of a character in one of its plays. Rare Earth Mettle has at its centre a money-grabbing, power-hungry billionaire and gave this character the distinctively Jewish name of Hershel Fink. The playwright and theatre apparently didn’t realise it was Jewish. Which I completely believe since people often don’t realise I am Jewish either.

I only noticed this play and the whole Hershel Fink thing in the first place when the theatre issued an apology and changed his name to Henry Finn. But I also noticed something else. The apology didn’t work. Indeed it seemed to make things worse.

The theatre acknowledged it was “an example of unconscious bias” and people found this formulation so annoying that the apology itself became controversial. The Royal Court had to issue it again, this time without the reference to “unconscious bias”. In addition to it being controversial, people found it inadequate — where were the consequences? And they pointed out that Henry Finn was just what a Jew would call themselves when anglicising their name (my grandmother did indeed use Finn when teaching in language school). So maybe the whole play should be abandoned.

...Such public apologies come every day now in a constant stream from real corporations and political leaders.

And the stream has attracted researchers to study their effect. In Cass Sunstein’s recent book This Is Not Normal he describes two pieces of work that seek to measure the impact an apology has on people’s opinion of the person doing the apologising.

The first uses two real events. In a survey respondents were told about an occasion when the senator Rand Paul seemed to suggest that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was wrong to forbid private discrimination on the basis of race. They were also told of the difficulty Lawrence Summers got himself into as president of Harvard University. Summers had talked about genetic differences between men and women that might influence their scientific interest and ability.

Different versions of each of these stories were tested. Some respondents were told that Paul or Summers had apologised and tried to make amends; some were told they had toughed it out. Would you vote for senator Paul? Should Summers face negative consequences?

For Paul, an apology made no difference. For Summers the apology produced a serious negative reaction. And indeed in real life Paul avoided an explicit apology and remained a senator while Summers repeatedly apologised yet had to resign.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/qvhay2/in_politics_apologies_just_make_things_worse/hkwchfn/

As a woman, I find it offensive that the term for a juvenile female is considered offensive. Absolute idiots.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Seems Korean boys don't go to college, imagine that ?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you wknow what a man or a woman is you are a liar

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The indoctrination is incredible. But she must feel really cool and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Eddie Redmayne says that it was a “mistake” of him to play a transgender woman in The Danish Girl.

...asked whether he would play the role again if he were offered it today. “No, I wouldn’t take it on now,” he said. “I made that film with the best intentions, but I think it was a mistake.”

Redmayne was once again criticised for playing a role traditionally portrayed by LGBTQ+ actors after being cast as the Emcee in a new production of Cabaret currently in previews at the Playhouse Theatre.

Speaking about starring in the show opposite Jessie Buckley’s Sally Bowles, Redmayne added: “Of all the characters I’ve ever read, this one defies pigeonholing. I would ask people to come and see it before casting judgment.”

Jessie Buckley adds: “This is the most diverse company I have ever worked in. On the first day everyone introduced themselves and said their pronouns, he, she, they . . . and it was lovely to be part of that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Quantum Erasure ...asked whether he would play the role again if he were offered it today. “No, I wouldn’t take it on now,” he said. “I made that film with the best intentions, but I think it was a mistake.”

He's an actor, he was acting. He was pretending to be something he's not for the screen. The best person for the role gets cast, regardless of how close they are to the character in reality. If the character is a Trans Inuit do they have to find the same to play the role? I can see that being very constraining and when they can't cast a major star in the lead role they'll just not make the film. Then people will be moaning about the lack of representation in the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

Imagine the trouble you'd have casting the part of Hannibal Lecter, Dracula or Superman...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Irish rugby player Jack Dunne lining out for Barbarians.

A good player, and fair play to him but i have a sneaking suspicion its nothing to do with his rugby skill and more to do with the fact that he's become one of the Worlds few, openingly bisexual rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Girlguiding UK have appointed a trans identifying male, who is into S&M and guns, as a district commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What's wrong with guns? I'd imagine outdoorsy types who like hunting are pretty common in the guides and the scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In another rugby nugget.

From 2021 the Women's world cup is being called the "World cup"

Let's just remove genders. Because clearly labeling it the Women's world cup makes it inferior because women are inferior. Right?

..nevermind I've lost track at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Why wouldn't women involved in rugby call it the "World Cup?" From their point of view it is the World Cup, they have nothing to do with the men's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"AH, China - home to Chinese food. Or, as they call it - food."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

have to agree with Paul Galvin's comments re: Marcus Rashford...for which he’s getting absolutely lambasted for online by the wokies, they are having a meltdown.. he posted a fartfelt and gooey tribute to his outgoing boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who was sacked... Paul said....

“Completely sick of this guy’s shtik. Doesn’t miss a trick when striking the right note on social media.

Didn’t break sweat for “club legend” Ole while there, head down, walking & moping around the field even when fit. Now full-time hiding behind his social conscience persona."

fûcking a1 100% correct Paul... I’m a Manchester United fan too but fûck me, Rashford wouldn’t have lasted 5 minutes under Ferguson. A woke melt and average footballer whose other ‘work’ seemingly keeps him relevant...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement