Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whoosh. You're talking about patronage of new schools which is irrelevant to about 95% of parents, who don't live in an area of rapid population growth where new schools are being built. But I'm not one bit surprised, language religion and nationalism remain in a toxic tangle.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Languages aren't magic, they're just skills and like all skills if you don't use it, you lose it. I had no reason to use it for years, have since lost it, and have no intention of regaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Well that's grand and I don't see any problem with that.

And yet you could change your mind in the morning and tap into all those years of learning.

Say you got with one of the TG4 weather people on a mad night out in Galway... 😄

Calling these loanwords/proper nouns is an interesting attempt to get out of jail on this one.

Let's take Dun Laoighaire or the word "oireachtas". They are words that have an English and an Irish pronunciation and it's interesting to see people bristle when the Irish pronunciation is used in an English sentence. They are genuine loanwords, I think.

But the others, no. That's language mixing on a spectrum, a sprinkle of Irish words on one end and at the other Gaeilge Chonamara where you can have English words naturally mixed into a sentence with Irish syntax.

I don't think we can say that the words of Amhrán na bhFiann are simply a string of loanwords. It's sung in the national language everyone (without exemption) learns at school and rightly so. What sort of country would incentivise its students not to learn the language its anthem is sung in at school?

And when I think of croissants I certainly think of France.

Eh, it was composed originally in English you know (and musically it's terrible)

And calling Irish "the national language" is doubly inaccurate, we have two official languages in this state and most people do not speak Irish.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

There's nothing I've said that contradicts this. I know it was written originally in English, but it is sung in Irish.

Irish is our national language, that doesn't take from there being two official languages.

I don't think anyone would say the national anthem is a string of loanwords it's entirely in Irish these days but the rest fit the definition.

There's a huge gulf between incentivised not to and given a choice. India's national anthem is also in a minority language.

You may think of France when you think of croissants because that's where you think they originate but most people don't think of them as French (the language) because they're established loanwords. I don't think of places called whatever aras ect as being Irish words, it's just what they're called.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Irish is our national language,

As an aspiration for some, a cultural totem for others and lip service by most, yes. As our national language it really isn't. When a language has to be made official through laws and state sponsorship for over a century and still declined massively in that century it's clear it's not our national language as far as day to day reality goes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A few errors there,

1 Irish didn't have to be made official, the people wanted it to be

2 Irish declined massively in the century before it was made official. If this graph is to be believed, the stabilisation and growth of the language coincides with the time it was made official:

3 The Irish haven't orphaned their language, far from it. You are conflating difficulty with rejection. We do not learn non native languages to fluency in general in Ireland and we are very much like the English speaking world in this respect.

Was there a public vote on the 2003 act? I wasn't old enough to vote then and google doesn't show there was.

• Advertisement

I think of France when I think of croissant (the word or the pastry). I don't think of France when I think of déjà vu, or entrepreneur. I'm not sure why. Irish doesn't (AFAIK) have a word for déjà vu, relying on the loanword instead. On the other hand, Irish does have a word for entrepreneur - fiontraí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Speaking to foreigners who have learnt Irish as well as English (as second languages). they explained to me how difficult English is to learn as a second language.

But they manage it

The problem is you (I assume) have not tried speaking Irish outside of an academic environment. If you were discussing Dublin GAA/GAA in general 'as Gaeilge' suddenly you would find you are learning a vocabulary around something that interests you. I bet you pick up words of Irish when watching matches on TG4. If the focus is on the spoken word first around day to day life/interests suddenly it opens itself up and is far removed from the learning 'by rote' which many Irish people were subjected to in the Irish education system.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I know someone from abroad who started to play a bit of football some time after he learned a some Irish. He says the first couple of crucial terms he learned were colpaí and síneadh - said more about the shape he was in than his Irish vocabulary, I s'pose. I asked him why calves and not hamstrings, and he said the lads just used "hammy/hammies" in Irish.

Insomuch as you never really forget anything you're taught if you continually apply and even if you don't could recover it with some effort. Right now I don't remember anything beyond a smattering of words. And the real issue with Irish is what's the incentive to continue it beyond appeals to "it's nice to have" or heritage? I didn't see any and it seems most other people don't either.

It's not exactly clear what that has to do with my point. My point was that you don't really forget. It's there. You don't have to retrieve it, and you don't have to want to retrieve it, but it's there. It wouldn't at all surprise me if it turned out to be true for a lot of the stuff we did at school, not just languages.

The real issue with Irish is usually the next one on the list. The person who is hostile raises an issue, someone addresses it, so they jump on and find another issue to complain about. Like I said, there's always a excuse.

I still say you should get stuck into Japanese.

If the Irish language has declined in the last century it has declined because English remains an official language here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like the John Hinde postcard thatched cottage, nice to see and part of our heritage but hardly any bastard is committed enough to live in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

And the reason for that is because that's what people wanted. Your analysis is far too simplistic. You can't force people to speak Irish. There is also even less incentive to speak Irish now than in the 1920s/30s. Want to travel abroad well English is the de facto language of international communication. Again in the region of 75% of English speakers worldwide are not native speakers. If you have ever travelled abroad or worked with people internationally you'll understand how pervasive English is. Want a job in Ireland in any company that has any dealing with a company outside Ireland you need English. Want to watch nearly anything on TV or in the cinema again you need English. Want to use the Internet again it's far easier through English, look at Wikipedia and the amount of articles in English versus any other language. Want to watch Netflix, Youtube, listen to Spotify etc again all through English. Go to college/University you need to know English given how little research is actually published in Irish. If Want to publish any research in any major publication you need to do so in English given how few people speak Irish worldwide. If you do any sort of professional/trade exam again the exam will have to be done through English. On top of that anyone who speaks Irish is also going to be a native speaker of English bar a few rare exceptions. They are all reasons for the decline of Irish not some law that recognised the obvious.

The decline of Irish didn't start a hundred years ago. Ireland was a solidly English speaking country already by the time of independence. The measures over the last 100 years have probably slowed the decline but that's it. The switch from Irish to English was driven and is being driven by wider societal factors(note how Ireland didn't switch religion to match England, so making something official in law can have minimal effect). Many of which I've listed above.

It has to do with the fact that for all intents and purposes I'm not an Irish speaker now, it doesn't really matter that I could potentially recover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I fully support any parent who wants a non-denominational education for their kids. I'd be interested in a link to the numbers if you can find one, BTW.

However, as a parent who wanted non-religious education for my children, I found that the only Irish-language education available was in a catholic school.

When are we going to have non-denominational education through Irish?

I think you're a little bit mixed-up here.

Since around the time the crash happened, there have been few enough Gaelscoileanna set up, but there has been a great deal of encouragement by the Dept of Education to Educate Together. If you look at their website, they have 96 primary schools and 23 secondary schools, mostly set up in the last ten years or so. And fair play to them, I'm all in favour of getting the churches out of education. All but one of these schools teach through English, BTW. Patronage for the one that teaches through Irish is shared with An Foras Pártrúnachta.

Over the same period, very few Gaelscoileanna have been permitted to open by the Dept of Education, despite huge demand. I wonder why. Some people would be of the opinion that they favour Educate Together because they do not have a vision for changing the country - what Educate Together do is simply acknowledge a change that has already happened: secularisation of the country. People no longer go to church in any great numbers, and as such removing a small number of schools from church control is no big deal, as it is a reactive movement.

The Gaelscoil movement on the other hand is a proactive movement; they have a vision for a country where as many people as possible can speak Irish. The people who run the country don't want this, as this would represent a major change within society, and could pressage further unwanted and unpredictable change. They don't like change that they do not control; indeed for many years, Educate Together was also stymied, but has come to be seen as no great threat and certainly the far lesser of two evils..

And calling Irish "the national language" is doubly inaccurate, we have two official languages in this state

He's simply using the definition that is in the Constitution, which calls Irish the National Language. It calls English another official language, IIRC.

As well as this legal definition, it is historically correct.

For your intents and purposes, it doesn't matter that you could potentially recover it. That's you exercising an option. But it does really matter that people generally can potentially recover it. They have an option, which the noisy Anglos would deny them. That's why the noisy Anglos are best ignored on this subject.

You really ought to give Japanese a go, all the same.

Are there any non-religious Gaelscoileanna? I don't mean those inter-denominational "Catholics plus" schools. I mean Gaelscoileanna that follow the same broadly secularist principles as ET?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I studied Irish in secondary school I never spoke Irish for 1 minute, I had a few books to read, story's. I know maybe 30 words in Irish, I can see no practical value in knowing Irish in the real world everyone speaks English, if someone wants to spend time learning Irish good luck to them it's like playing the bodhrán for 95 per cent of people it will not get them work most people do not work as teachers or in tg4 its not hiding away or in the depths of my memory I did not like it all the books we read were about farmers rural people no connection to modern life you can't recover something if you never learned it and you had mediocre teachers when you are over 40 you realise time is limited you have a limited amount of time to learn skills

I think most young people would prefer to learn subjects that will help them to get actually get work maths English science computer studys

If you lived in the 70s there was a great revival in Irish folk music the chieftains the dubliners Luke Kelly etc and even then most people were not that interested in speaking Irish now we have 100s of TV channels streaming TV Netflix etc YouTube I see no sign of any uptick in Irish language apart from government funded ads in irish

I don't know what's going on in schools eg how is Irish taught now is it just reading a few books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

@deirdremf You asked about alternative to catholic education through the Irish language. I am in north Dublin there are two new multi denominational Gael Scoil primaries in the area - both recent enough one just had their first intake of Junior infants in September. So it seems the demand for this model is increasing. I am aware of one family who son started - all good and it suits their family - they are both active users of the Irish language so he will have plenty of immersion both in and outside school.

The only concern I would have is now there are four Gael scoil primaries there remains only one secondary within easy reach with limited capacity - hopefully capacity will be ramped up to facilitate the learners who want to continue in secondary within Gael scoil education.

Ideally there would be choice accessible by as many as possible - I am aware how lucky we are to have the option of Educate Together all the way through primary and secondary. Hopefully the development of the multi denomination Gael Scoil model will bring a wider audience to those who prefer this option.

Actually it's you that's mixed up I'm afraid.

You're confusing the setting up of new schools with the transfer of religious patron schools to a new patron (divestment).

Dept of Education are naturally reluctant to allow a new gaelscoil to open in an area if it's going to leave the existing schools with empty places. But for ETs they don't allow a new one to be established under those circumstances at all - only in an area with growing population and enough unmet demand for school places to justify a new school can an ET be established. Even then, they can - with no consultation with parents or any appeal or review process - just decide to expand the existing religious patron school(s) in the area rather than allow a new ET to be established.

and as such removing a small number of schools from church control is no big deal, as it is a reactive movement.

This is divestment, and to all intents and purposes it is not happening at all. Only a handful of schools in the entire country have been divested from a religious patron to non-religious, and most of those afaik have been to ETB (Community National Schools) not ET. The CNSs still have religious instruction during the school day and prepare for sacraments, so really are "catholic lite" schools.

The RCC has been able to stymie any calls for divestment in most areas, e.g. in Malahide a couple of years ago a survey established there was enough demand to divest 2 of the existing 8 primary schools, in the end they managed to block even 1 through a campaign of fear, uncertainty and doubt targeted at the parents of pupils in those schools. Meanwhile the parents of future pupils didn't get any say at all. Allowing the church to run this process is a joke but that suits the Dept of Education down to the ground.

Scrap the cap!

The only concern I would have is now there are four Gael scoil primaries there remains only one secondary within easy reach with limited capacity - hopefully capacity will be ramped up to facilitate the learners who want to continue in secondary within Gael scoil education.

Getting teachers who can teach subjects through Irish is a huge problem. Some English-medium schools can't even get vacancies in certain subjects filled.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw this article Mother with child with special needs of secondary school age claimed in court - that she should get an exemption from Irish. As it is effecting the child’s mental well being. The school said she did not satisfy the exemption. And it was noted the child attended Irish classes when at primary level, with no exemption.

Personally I hated maths would loved to have had ADHD to try and claim an exemption.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I refuse to believe that - you just weren't trying hard enough. I'm sure if everything was taught through the medium of maths you'd have picked it up in to time at all.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Irish is the second most spoken language in the country. There are more Irish speakers in Ireland than there are Polish speakers.

A Polish person in Ireland is still considered a Polish speaker even if he is surrounded by English speakers - just like an Irish speaker would be.

There is no denying English is a useful language - but it's not the only useful language to have. I'm sure if Irish was made the primary language of schools in Ireland, Irish people would still have a great degree of understanding of the English language.

The problem with Irish is that it has not received the same treatment as English in the manner in which it has been taught - it has remained a single subject for most and has not become a language of instruction. The Gaelscoil movement has addressed this problem and statistics are showing that we have reached a turning point.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Your response doesn't address my point the Irish language hasn't declined because of poor education methods, its declined because of various societal pressures, pressures that are only more intense in the era of an open Irish economy, social media,the Internet and cheap international travel.

The fact that Irish is the 2nd most spoken language in Ireland is absolutely meaningless. Even at that it's around 100k Irish speakers outside the education system versus more or less 5 million English speakers. The English language has in the region of 50 times the number of daily speakers in Ireland alone give or take. English is more than a useful language, its arguably the useful language as thevworld's 2nd language ie if a person is going to learn a second language there is a high chance it will be English. You can see that by the fact that the majority of English speakers are not native speakers.

Irish will never become the first language in Ireland. All your plan would do is to force people to make their choice of language explicit which will only ever to be Irish language detriment given the current social and international environment.

Teaching Irish in schools won't and hasn't stopped its decline. Its probably slowed the decline. However blaming bad teaching is a cop out on all sides. There are so too many outside factors that work against it no matter how high quality the teaching of the language. Its an easy way to ignore the societal pressures that encourage English versus Irish. It's been like like that for well over a hundred years. In modern Ireland with the Internet, open economy, cheap and fast international travel mean there is even less incentive.

Forcing all instruction in schools through Irish is a good way to damage the language even more if not kill it outright. You don't have enough teachers qualified to teach through Irish. And two most parents expect their children to be thought in their native language. Which are the vast majority of Ireland is English. Its the language that most children learn before school. They only encounter Irish in school and will never speak it meaningfully outside an educational setting.

You can't force people to do something they don't want to unless you turn the country into a police state.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Irish is the second most spoken language in the country. There are more Irish speakers in Ireland than there are Polish speakers.

According to self reporting in the census. There are just over 100,000 Polish speakers in Ireland. I would bet the farm that their number of actual fluent speakers in that language would blow the number of actual fluent Irish speakers into the weeds. I personally know two Irish "speakers" whose vocabulary is about the level of a five year old. Fluent they are not. And if the number of actually fluent Irish speakers was so high, how come there is apparently a lack of fluent in the language teachers? Teachers pretty much have to have it to some degree and yet... And how many Polish born people who moved here would have more fluency in English than Polish?

The problem with Irish outside a tiny cluster of rural Irish speaking areas has and remains its lack of utility beyond a cultural one and too often cultural window dressing one. It was in rude health and a language of trade, faith and the intelligensia up to the 17th century. The second any language loses those three they're doomed to be a rural backwater of the peasantry and usually go extinct(that happened to Pictish when Irish on the back of Irish monks, traders moved through Scotland in the early medieval took over. Latin held a similar sway in trade, faith and science for over two thousand years into the 18th century, but then faded rapidly when local languages took over, many of them derivatives of Latin). It held on in that environment, but slowly and surely faded more and more in the face of English. The foundation of the state and support for the language slowed the retreat down, but even with that not by much. There were far more native and fluent Irish speakers here when we threw the English out.

English itself seems to be the bugbear for many and there are a few shoulder chips in evidence on that score. "Noisy Anglos" but one example. If France had invaded us and taken over I'm quite sure Irish would have faded in a similar way and we'd be speaking French as our actual national language.

As for some year zero forced switch to making the Irish language the primary education language, that's ridiculous at this stage. Even with the Gaelscoil movement the use of English outside the classroom for those students is extremely high. I do agree we need more second language education in Irish schools, but make it a choice. If a student learns French they have access to over 300 million people, their cultures and trade, ditto for Spanish*. If they learn Irish they have access to... well, feck all really beyond artificially constructed Irish is a requirement posts, because 99% of the Irish speakers are already perfectly fluent, if not more so in English.

*Chinese is often wheeled out as another such language, but Chinese is a majority language internal to China. The same argument used to be leveled at Japanese back in the day. French and Spanish cover way more countrys and cultures.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

@Hotblack Desiato that is true mind you it is also an issue locally with English secondary school and the science subjects. Some big out of the box thinking may need to be implemented - perhaps linking in with qualified teachers virtually, this would open up the pool of available teachers. I am aware of a couple of learners over the year who were facilitated by the local Secondary/FE college. Leaving Cert Chemistry, students attended a couple of classes a week at 8 am and an evening session. It wasn't delivered in their chosen language but at least it gave access to a subject mandated in a couple of university courses. I thought this was a clever approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The posts by PeadarCo & Wibbs above sum up well the current state of Irish in the state. The language is stuck in some some sort of crack, sustained by state supports and legislation and national self delusion. Those with a real interest in the language need to recognise this and change their approach. A love of Irish for what it is and a personal desire to learn it, a recognition that it can and will never be more than a very valid cultural activity. And that is the sum total of it's limits. The idea that it can be reinvented and restored as a national means of communication is just totally unrealistic and does more harm than good.

Withdraw all state supports and enabling legislation and let it thrive like a weed.

The creeping prominence is entirely false and driven by legislation, not from the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Noisy Anglos is a welcome change from the well worn out "West Brit" term of abuse, beloved of language enthusiasts when caught out or a debate isn't going the way they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Hakka Chinese is the language of the Chinese diaspora. I first came across it in Calcutta (now known as Kolkata). There are large communities of Chinese around the world. I now live in one called Markham pronounced Makkam in Chinese which is a suburb of Toronto, Canada. The Chinese here are largely people who fled Hong Kong when the British relinquished sovereignty. They were wealthy beyond belief in many cases they bought big houses where the family lived to establish citizenry and continued to run their Hong Kong businesses with visits to Canada to establish enough residency for citizenship application purposes. Their children are in the top quarter of all Primary and High school classes. I know the parents through my children and grand children who attended those schools. They make sure their children speak Hakka Chinese because it is necessary in order to do business world wide and particularly in China. The Irish and the Jews are dispersed around the world ten thousand here a hundred thousand there but with the Chinese it is a million here ten million there. The focus on STEM education is intense and evening and weekend classes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and others are the norm. Every half hour of the week is filled with "useful" activities. We were lucky enough that our last grandchild brought the best of his Irish-German background to the fore and is able to compete with success in a tough intellectual environment. To summarize the Chinese are well established and successful in large numbers all around the world. They are slightly more intelligent than Caucasians, highly value education, are sociable and drink very little. As neighbours they cannot be beaten.

How the duck did we get into religion - your obsessive topic - in a thread about whether Irish is gaining a creeping prominence, mostly on signposts.

why would there be a public vote on the 2003 act? We generally don’t have votes on laws in this country - that’s what the Dail is for. The only reason to have votes is on constitutional matters.

now off you pop and learn some civics. And take a look at the constitution. There’s a clue in there regarding why we didn’t vote on the 2003 act. Article 8.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

I don’t think the anti Irish posters here are covering themselves in glory. Civics lessons needed all around.

also I think they over estimate the overall hostility to Irish and the 2003 act, which is as far as I can, is an entirely online phenomenon. Maybe you are all a bit shy.

The general attitude to irish amongst non speakers like myself is fondness. There’s no desire to remove it as an official language. Or to get angry with emails or signage or the other stuff that causes the crazies to crazy.

The post previous to mine claimed it was something the people wanted. How would you know that without a vote on the issue?

Which is all fine and dandy as a potted, simplistic even stereotypical rendering of the Chinese disapora and Chinese would be handy if dealing with the Chinese diaspora, but my point remains, the majority of Chinese speakers in the world live in China, the majority of English speakers don't live in England, the majority of Spanish speakers don't live in Spain, nor French speakers in France. Those languages are no longer reliant on a disapora, they're a diaspora all of their own now. By the by, it was always Kolkata, Calcutta is/was the anglicised name. Just like Venice is actually Venizia, Florence is Firenze, Paris is "Paree" and so forth. As an aside; I reserve a special place in hell, or purgatory at least, for those who come back from a weekend break and say things like "Oh I so loooove Pareee". Pretty sure sign of a tosspot.

The general attitude to irish amongst non speakers like myself is fondness.

I'd go along with that to a great extent and would reckon that the "official language" status is in no great danger of removal. And that's a good thing. Though it is a fondness at some remove. It has little enough practical impact on the language itself or we'd not need it to be so bolstered and we'd be having this debate as Gaelige. Put it another way if we were having this convo in Irish without translation most reading would be at a loss. Irish is kinda like a pleasant enough if dumpy ex, we retain some fondness for them in memory, may even imagine what ifs at times, but we wouldn't go out with them again.

The people elect politicians and the politicians enact laws. Only constitutional changes are subject to referendum.

I know. I was more wondering how it could be claimed to be something people wanted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is exactly what the language will continue to decline - a refusal to acknowledge the bleating obvious. Irish is not a work language in the country and we are not trying to encourage the speaking of Polish nor have we invested the best part of a hundred years trying to do so and failed miserably.

As for Irish speakers…. Probably more that 50% of them would struggle to conduct daily business in the language. A couple of years ago I interviewed an Irish graduate in Zürich for a position at an MNC, ten minutes in she goes: I have no idea what you are saying…. When asked why she put down on the application that she spoke Irish - sure everyone one does that in Ireland and she was not wrong. It is just crazy that kids are learning up to 18 and they can’t live it at that stage.

As for mandating the speaking of Irish in schools, if the last several decades has thought us any thing it is that you can’t force people to speak a language that they have no use for. The British might have mandated the speaking of English, but the Irish adapted it with gusto because they saw it being more useful to them.

We are not going to make any progress until we acknowledge that our efforts to date have failed and we need a new approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, it's a typical Noisy Gael responce at this stage.

I'm of the impression that they need us to hate the language so that they can have somethign to debate. Just being indifferent to it kind of makes it look like it's unimportant, and that hurts them more.

What was it Oscar WIlde said, better to be talked badly than not to be talked about at all.

i mean there are clearly people who dislike the language. This thread is full of it. The original post is full of it.

True, but they come and go because they have no real substance to their arguments, but if you raise logical points form a neutral point of view you still get shot down - as a "noisy anglo" to quote one case - by people who are claiming that the langauge as an integral part of the entire country's lifestyle. I got hammered by three sperate people simply for pointing out that Irish is not a life-skill in the same way maths or english is.

For me - as I've said before - people tend to be more obsessed with the status of the language rather than the progression of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement