Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

Paris is indeed a prime example of that. The general lock-up scenario in Dublin has had a hugely detrimental effect in accelerating an underlying issue. London has traditionally been a place where many commute inwards, and of course Manhattan etc far side of the pond.

Suburban outlets in Dublin are thriving, as people drop by for coffee, shopping etc during breaks, but I think the city centre is relatively dead (well without as many former type of customers) though I don’t venture there much because it is mainly accessed by public transport which I haven’t been using much.

Currently it’s a place especially favoured by the antisocial, I don’t know how that issue can be sorted.

As we all know a huge number of jobs simply cannot be done from home by their very nature, although even some aspects of surgery has started to be conducted robotically by a remote surgeon. If large offices are a thing of the past and have been located in the city, then some more essentially interfacing type work places need to replace them in town to redress the balance. I don’t want to be living in a nice city suburb where I can’t thoroughly enjoy my city centre a couple of kilometres away. This is something that the government will be factoring in to policies.

But as you say the horse has left the stable and nobody in their right mind would embrace unnecessary commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

From my experience employers don't care about commutes. We're gung ho in 5 days a week, it's mental

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I really hope they do come out with some solid advice, because there are alot of private companies getting people back in either full time or like I'm back 3 days a week and am miserable, and terrified being back in the office and any question of it is that your contract is in Head Office and thats it.

I think if people are allowed to take part in other social activities and kids are still in school, it makes sense to try and curb any other unncessary contacts - so if you can work from home, you should work from home but some employers are just not getting it. They see it the other way around that if you CAN go to the pub, you SHOULD come into the office... eh no, the complete opposite, if you CAN go to the pub, then limit any other contacts you have in order to not make that visit more risky than it should be.

All the other benefits are a no-brainer - traffic, carbon, housing, finanical pressure, work/life balance etc is just unreal that this isnt being supported more by the Government.

I think that citing Covid concerns isnt going to get anywhere with management if they are still being this stubborn. With vaccination rolled out and boosters on their way, I dont think that there is any persuasive argument (from their perspective) justifying not going in (in the absence of an explicit government instruction).

The only options would be to play a longer game at this stage, and get like-minded staff to take a coordinated approach to put pressure on management. That might, of course, involve threatening to leave (and being prepared to follow through on same)

And when the government come out with their legislation re. flexible working (which will happen), being prepared to challenge any rationale that the company have to keep you coming in. My expectation is that the onus will be on the company to justify why your presence is necessary. But staff are going to have to be bold, which I know will be difficult for many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some people enjoy working in a social environment. You'd swear that just wasn't a consideration going by your rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

First off you'd need an additional router, something like a TP-Link AX1800. Once you have that ring tech support in virgin media (last time I did this I was on hold an hour they hung up, took 2.30 hours to get it done it should take 20 mins). Ask them to switch your hub to ipv4 because you want to use modem mode i recommend asking to action this while you wait on hold, they rarely ring back. Once thats done ask them to factory reset you should now have the modem mode option on your hub 3 menu . Turn this option on and reboot the light on the front of the hub should be purple now. Plug port 1 from the hub into your new routers wan port and connect your laptop to a port on the new router. Follow the instructions to connect to the new router once it connects to the internet change its wifi ssids and password to the ones you used on virgin media.

Its not this easy: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

Post edited by The Duk on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Its not a consideration. I hold hands outside of work only.

Well spotted in your mini rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

To be honest, i can't see many companies listening to it especially those that have hybrid like mine is - office split in 2, 5 days in 5 days home - it took them a year to even do it in the first place - up until early this year we were all in full time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Good to be see that WFH has been agreed by cabinet. Sensible. I would be shocked if this gets lifted until Spring.

I guess "from Friday" includes this Friday.

My company is not keen on WFH at all but even they are following this now. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we started a 2 day trial back to work this week , not the worst but it kills flexibility, if I had something to finish off I could do it late in the evening but 1) not bringing my laptop home if I dont have to, 2) need to watch my bedtime again lol.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

We all should have realised by now, that they really do not have a fúcking clue how to deal with covid.

A right bunch of (kung)CNUT's the lot of them!

They're making it up as they go along, everyone can see that.

I can't see where I work pay a blind bit of notice to this "advice" as they only acted when they were compelled by the government to do so.

It's really made us all feel like sh!t and very pissed off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If the government don't commit to making this stronger than "advice" then not a lot will change with respect to WFH. Companies that have already started bringing employees back on a phased basis aren't going to upend the whole thing based on "advice".

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Was in the office today. Work in a corporate type place. One of those buildings where windows can’t be opened. Most of the junior staff are working every day in the office and senior staff are in once or twice a week. Lots of sniffles and coughing going on. A lot of the junior staff have started recently on the basis that they’d be in every day and are on probation so it seems they feel compelled to go in even if they have a cough or runny nose.

Doesn't get much clearer than that to be fair. My place will be livid to have to send us home. 😎 (if they decide to comply)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Most of the recent posts about being ordered back to the office seem to have come from private sector workers - I was talking to some public servants last week and the same sh*te is going on. Unnecessary hybrid working with staff being required in the office for the majority of the working week just...because. Result is people sitting in offices doing exactly the same work as they were doing at home. People back to doing long commutes by car while management blow about the need to tackle climate change.

I hope you'll be ok now from Thursday night. The social club might have get togethers after hours or maybe even zoom your line manager clubs that you could sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Whilst I agree that it should be stronger than "advice", any company that requires staff to come into an indoor office right now is reckless, negligent and does not care about their staffs safety and opens themselves up to court actions if employees catch covid in their indoor offices. No reputable employer would force staff to go into indoor offices right now.

Anyone willing to guess how long the WFH requirement will stay in place for? My bet is until April. By which time WFH will have become the norm for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

End of March/beginning of April I'd say but who really knows with COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep I'd say that is spot on. 2 years of WFH coming up and I have to say WFH has suited me extremely well in terms of work life balance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I fully agree but unfortunately "reputable" employers are making staff come in without even consulting them. And of course the staff have no legal leg to stand on with the WFH legislation still not in place.

I notice on the government website, it is pretty conclusive now that WFH is in place on strong grounds from midnight Thursday (so presumably in 24 hours from now). I don't see any wiggle room for employers with it where employees WFH 100% during any of our lockdowns as clearly it's not "necessary" for anyone who ever did 100% WFH to go into their office.

I wonder when this will lift, presumably not until mid February at the earliest.

everyone should revert to working from home unless it is necessary to attend the workplace in person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Spare a thought for all the poor bozo’s who retired in early 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why if I could retire I would. There is a person in our office and they have been there 40+ years and no sign of leaving. I want to enjoy my later years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

My employer (Financial sector, HQ in downtown Dublin, 500 employees in that location) had a plan to bring us back for the new normal of 3 days a week after WFH since March '20. We started going back on a rotation basis in the beginning of Oct, 50% in each week on the 'stagger, gradual return to work' wording from the government. We were told today that we would go back to full WFH starting Friday. Our function is seen as essential by govt standards and we have the possibility of going into the office if we want to, but HR doesnt want to take the responsibility of forcing people to come in given the change in government language (WFH where possible).

Message from HR was that this would be reviewed in 3 weeks time. Not sure if that's what they got as a guideline from the govt of if its a internal deadline?

I havent read any official comment on the press from govt representatives that this would be a short term measure. Would make sense to try to bring down the numbers ahead of the Xmas holidays where, as previous experience show, there is a tendency to congregate and flex the guidelines anyway.

Advertisement