Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    I tried to rent a Tesla for a big family holiday (road trip) we had just over 3 years ago in the USA. It proved impossible / hugely expensive. Hopefully things are changing now!

I looked at renting a Model 3 for a trip to France a couple of years ago. The rental ended up costing more than the flights :(

While a Tesla rental service would be great, it just doesn't make much financial sense right now. Rental companies get big discounts from car manufacturers and it doesn't look like Tesla is interested in giving those same deals

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

While a Tesla rental service would be great, it just doesn't make much financial sense right now.

It was a once in a lifetime family trip, costing a few bob. I wouldn't have minded paying twice for a Tesla Model S than what I paid for the Nissan "minivan" we ended up with. At the time the Tesla was a dream car for me, I would never have believed you if you told me at the time I would own one within 2 years :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

0lddog wrote: »
    VAT status of it ?

and good luck getting 10% off.....even Free Staters are reluctant to give that these days

No trade in though there are still big discounts available

Northern Ireland applies EU VAT rules so you should be fine, also electric vehicles do not carry any VRT so the price you see is the price you should pay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Northern Ireland applies EU VAT rules so you should be fine, also electric vehicles do not carry any VRT so the price you see is the price you should pay

7% VRT rate on EVs over 50k OMSP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

ELM327 wrote: »
    7% VRT rate on EVs over 50k OMSP ;)

That will never be an issue for me anyway lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Is there a detailed guide on importing an EV from the North somehwhere ? I know the vehicle has to have to have originated in NI, how is this proven ?and must have at least 6,000 kms to avoid vrt & vat, i am talking about vehicles with an OMSP here of under €35k, so would be exempt both VAT & VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

No posts on here in a while! Spotted a rare Renault Fluence Ze for €2999. This must be a bargain for someone who's use case it would meet?

You need to have proof in the form of a letter from Renault Finance that indeed the car has an owned battery. If it isn't, the car isn't even a bargain at €999

If it is, this is a steal, someone grab it quickly. Have one myself (battery owned) and it is the perfect second family car for an urban region like Dublin if you are on an ultra low budget. Fairly easily get around 80km range in summer, probably more with a light foot. I expect not much more than 55km in winter. And there is no DC fast charging, just AC 3.3kW slow charging, so beware. Apart from that, great cheap car. Who again said that they couldn't afford an EV? They are all proven wrong. This car costs less to own than a petrol or diesel banger that someone gives you for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

I'm going to have a quick look in to this. Living about 8km from Galway City and have to get rid of my wife's Fiat 500 after the arrival of a new baby and need something to have on standby at home for when she'll be up and down to Limerick with the Ioniq. This looks like it could work for us and leave us with money left over from the sale of the 500 along with minimal running costs.

Yep, we have it as a rarely needed second family car with a total cost of ownership of almost zero (I'd say the car costs me no more than €0.50 per day all-in given some negative depreciation)

Also for my daughters to learn to drive in, obviously the insurance for that is not included in above figure. Not possible to add a learner to a Tesla Model S performance unless you bend over 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

What does new motor and gearbox mean ??

Maybe he means it like "one of those new fangled electric motors and no gearbox" 😁

Bit of an odd one alright, you'd expect the motor to last beyond 8 years. Maybe it was part of a recall or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Had a conversation with a person and they said their motor was replaced under warranty , must be some weak component in it somewhere.

God I'd love that. Part of my dream EV garage alongside a battery owned twizy, a citroen AMI and others in the "pointless EV" challenge

Yep me too, would love an Ami. And a Twizy.

The Fluence ZE really is a sound car for that sort of money battery owned. Get a few hundred quid off and that car has zero or negative deprecation for many years to come, provided it keeps working. Even if the battery further degrades.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Early EVs like that, Leaf has battery issues in hot climates and try and find a Tesla Model S that hasn't had either it's battery or drivetrain replaced

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Definitely, a Manual can be 10 times cheaper than an automatic when renting.

Many times when you book a Manual and turn up they'll give you Automatic anyway, but if you turn up with an Automatic restriction on your license you will get absolutely fleeced.

In Dusseldorf airport at the desk for the same class of car an American in at the counter next to me paid 85 euros a day whereas I paid 9 euros a day, he didnt even take CDW as his credit card covered it.

To be fair, most Americans haven't had to drive on anything narrower than the M50, so I'd be wary of renting a car out to them as well 😁

All much of a muchness now. Within a couple of years all rental cars will be automatic. Ask Hertz.

Got an automatic, but if you rock up with a manual booked and an auto only license they won't rent you a car unless you pay the extra and then give you the automatic anyway.

I got an Ford Focus Estate Automatic btw ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah I get your point, but that is very much a quickly ending situation. Very soon all rental cars will be automatic anyway and you won't be able to book a manual even if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

2 weeks rental in Munich December/January I don't see the massive difference you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I just booked a car for a week in Fuerteventura and this was the first time there wasn't a significant difference for automatic. I'll happily drive a manual but they were much the same this time.

Also because I left it so late I got fleeced regardless. €450 for a week...

It's not really a normal time so you won't see that difference now, many of the companies sold cars to stay afloat during the pandemic, major issues everywhere with availability.

Pre Pandemic (I rented maybe 30-40 times a year) you could pay 7-9 euros a day.

These days its more like 40-50, also your comparison isn't really clear, the manual for 893 is a different company with different conditions compared to the automatic for 1085 e.g. if its Buchbinder or one of the other budget brands add on a fee for Crossing a border, Sixt you don't have that fee for example, or a daily kilometer allowance and so on.

But for sure you always pay a penalty for booking an automatic, I'd say 9 out of 10 times I've gotten an automatic when booking a manual, with Sixt the most common for giving a free upgrade (although they were never really super cheap anyway)

Having both options gives you maximum flexibility, I'd usually take the option depending on the overall cost, e.g. The budget brands become expensive if you want to head to Switzerland or Austria (cross border fee) Some of the premium ones will even sort you out with a car that already has a sticker if you ask nicely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't know how we got here arguing about rental costs on a bargain thread but my point is that they are not that far apart. Prices include cross border and one child seat. And probably I said before based on beepbeep, in Ireland in 2021 so far automatics account for 48.6% compared to 10.4% in 2011. That is very close to half and I bet next year they will be overpass the stick. Pricewise automatics as new are not that expensive anymore when compared to manuals and this is reflected on the rentals as well. Automatic transmission is more reliable when you have a spread of drivers.

Anyway looking forward to rent an electric and have my profile sync with the rental ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If this ever gets released in right-hand drive , especially if it's 13 or so thousand it'll be a bombshell ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yep, needs to be cheap though but a perfect second car for many families, will cost near zero to run and maintain and if it is cheap enough (after subsidy), it will have glacial depreciation as there simply is nothing else like it

Also perfect car for city folk and learner drivers / young professionals, as insurance should be cheaper than any other car on the road today

If it's 13k in europe given our 23% VAT its likely to be closer to 16-17 here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think they were saying it was 17 / 18 k euro in france - knock off the subsidies of about 5 k brings you to somewhere around 13 k -

Probably would be dearer here anyway if only cos they'd have to do a right hand drive for just us and the uk , ( the petrol right hand version already exists in India ) .. and Dacia isn't huge over the water ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Long shot I know but said I'd put this here in case any boardies were on the lookout for an EV.

I'll be trading my Leaf in over the coming days and looking for a modest amount of €8000

Black Nissan Leaf 2014 (142) Tekna SVE

87,000 klm

1 bar down and guessometer shows approx 120 klm of range when 100% charged.

3.3 kwh Chedamo Charger

17" Alloys

Heated leather seats and steering wheel

Bose sound system

Type 2 public charge cable

Very good condition throughout

Advertisement