Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Usually dont mind US Murph but that episode yesterday had to be the most uninteresting one yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

Funnily, I was the opposite. Could really relate to gut wrenching losses to bitter rivals. Especially casting back to when I was much younger and it "really" hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, loved it. Those losses are like touching a sore spot. Kinda revel in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

That snippet of Frank Lampard feeling sorry for himself with Ken singing some morbid song is hilarious. Got me through the commute today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Paul Flynn got it right a few weeks ago when he said proposal b wouldn't pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken after watching the Utd

Ugh, can't actually delete this. I hate this new site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ken will literally be the mayor of Jizz City after that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looks like the 4 nights live event is sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

FFS,meant to go online at 6 and forgot, just went on. Can't buy for any night, but the Friday night is listed as Sold Out, but the other 3 are Unavailable

I had the alarm set for 5:58. Went on at 6 on the dot. Friday was gone! Got Saturday instead, but it's not a football night. I just hope it's anything but rugby with Shane Horgan.

Pity the don't do bigger venues like vicar Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

D'oh! I only just started listening to today's show so I've completely missed out on tickets 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I went on at 6.10pm last night and both football shows were gone!

Really enjoyed the interview with Ayeisha McFerran. A lot more interesting than I expected

Yeah, big time. Not usually a fan of interviews.

• Advertisement

good to hear Ken called out for his Ronaldo bias…. started with uefa/referee conspiracy theories after his goals against Ireland and now him scoring goals for Utd is destroying the team… ludicrous stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Strange I must say that united’s performances earned solksjaer a three year contract in the summer and now that they’ve added Ronaldo he’s clinging on to his job. Very odd.

I think last Bruno kept him in a job last year and this season Ronaldo is keeping him in a job…. last seasons performances weren’t great, neither was the points total and neither was loosing a Europa league final when Utd had the superior players.

The point remains, ronaldos arrival has coincided with the team’s rapid decline in results and performances.

False… United played awful last year… had to continuously come back from behind in games, their home form was abysmal….the reason they got second in because the teams around them also collapsed….. if it wasn’t for Ronaldo they would already be out of the champions leaugue… ole has been on the brink many times during his tenure, he just has great players bailing him out…. There has been no “rapid decline” they also started last season awfully…..

• Advertisement

“United played awful last year”

and for this awfulness solksjaer was awarded a 3 year contract extension. “There’s been no rapid decline” yet now he is clinging onto his job.

your version of reality doesn’t scan I’m afraid.

Scans perfectly. I wouldn’t say the Glazers have been great at making football managerial decisions. Football success isn’t a priority for them

Ole has said himself that his job has been in doubt in numerous occasions. Last season ended badly and started badly.

Ok, results and performances are the same and it can lead to a three year contract extention or the sack. Scans perfectly. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

I said to my United friends when he signed that he would probably be a net negative at this stage of his career.

Goals galore, 25+ easy, but the team will suffer overall.

Already evident by Sancho being marginalised, no room for wingers when you need somebody else up top to counter Ronaldo's lack of work rate.

United's squad is built to play wide forwards.

He really would have suited City with their possession/territorial dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As a neutral all I can say is it's great craic.

I enjoy watching United at the moment: you never know what's going to happen next.

nicky bandini was talking about this theory on football weekly, that Ronaldo makes teams worse. She said Juventas are in much worse shape without him, they are currently 9th in the league.

Utds main problem is that Ole isn’t up to the job. He is tactically inept and doesn’t rotate his squad (which has already led to disaster by rushing Maguire and Varne back).

As for Sancho, I think him playing and supplying crosses for Ronaldo would be very fruitful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Off topic i know but i can't stand Nicky's voice. Its like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listening to yesterday's pod now. Saw it was rugby chat, so wasn't optimistic going in. The introductions of "Hi Trimbs", "Hi Shaggy" sets me off too, especially when Simon does it. What I also think is funny is that clip they play from the D4 head in Japan who's going to have a load of lads in his apartment and it's "going to be absolut carnage", but then the way that Simon, Shane & Trimble talk would be right at home with him.

It actually started out interesting, discussing the issues with so many players on Irish team coming from a small number of private schools, but then Simon steered it back to the game and dullness. It's baffling to me that their rugby coverage is consistently terrible - I guess it's partly to do with Shane Horgan being a must-have on the show.

What can one say about rugby really? It’s nice that we have a teams that can win things but it’s a sport that so much about the physical and so little about the skill, where’s there’s no real transfers or big characters like soccer has that I think it’s difficult, especially without video aids, to talk about it in an interesting way.

It’s also not the shitshow that Irish soccer is. Irish rugby is just exceedingly well run.

rugby is like a friend that is a nice lad but doesn’t really provide much craic or humour.

soccer is like a friend who is absolutely infuriating and undependable but has always a story or a bit of craic going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If they talked differently to how they do in real life that'd be worse though shirley?

• Advertisement

She knows her stuff. Was at a live GFW in vicar Street pre covid and she was funny as fúck too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree she's very knowledgeable and funny on football weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭bamayang

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Opening segment to today's show with Ken and Stan Collymore is fantastic!

Would love to just go with Ken on all his travels just to observe the goings on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ken was a bit hungover today I reckon. His entertaining anecdotes were more free wheeling than usual.

Big time. What happened with Stan in the van.

Ken was right to tell him to F off at the end of the show. 🙅🏼

“Ken and Stan in a big old van” is the holiday show that the people want to see !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Several genuine guffaws listening to today's pod. Especially after the email about Ken apologising to Murph.

• Advertisement

Yep. Laughing my head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Stop calling him Trimby - puke

The NZ guy was good though.

2 decent rugby chats in the last few days. Common theme? Outside contributors and no Shane Horgan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Agreed, I can't listen to him anymore. He's insufferable.

I thought yesterdays discussion lacked any real depth TBH. It was more of a high level we are great, keep grounded but very little detail on where we won it, why we won, what tactics were exhibited etc. I would have liked some more in-depth discussion.

Whereas I think this is what bores people. It's what they usually default to when "Shaggy" and "Trimbs" are on, and it's painful. It's a sport podcast, not an in-depth rugby podcast.

• Advertisement

I think there is somewhere a happy medium. They have yet to find it.

I usually find the rugby chats an instant turnoff, but I found yesterday's alright. Don't get me wrong, I'd have rather listened to them talk about the football and when I heard "Trimby" I had to fight my instinct to immediately hit the off button.

I understand the criticism that it wasn't a very technical discussion, but, Jesus, I find nothing more painful than listening to a technical discussion of rugby. Maybe it's all legitimate, but it always sounds identical as corporate bollocksology talk to my ears - I can never shake the feeling that all concerned are talking absolute waffle. So much wire is spouted in a typical rugby conversation.

Just heard "trimby" and wondered if others would comment. Wasn't let down.

But definitely an improvement on the rugby chat, shaggy is just so boring. Christ, it's just reminds me of a monthly briefing at work with PowerPoint presentations and pie charts that no one gives a fúck about

I watch rugby as a casual spectator but I've little tactical knowledge of the sport so anytime there's an in depth discussion (which is what it always seems to be across radio or podcast) I instantly switch off. A more broader discussion is much more interesting

Also I find a lot of the rugby contributors quite dull. I find Brian O'Driscoll incredibly boring to listen to

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I feel the same way about listeners sending in audio beds as Ken feels about children running on to the pitch looking for jerseys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement