Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cmon, that's a bit of a disingenuous comparison. Of course cases in the UK have been high - they have been fully open for months now, whilst we have been pricking about with an ultra-cautious, slow reopening which has served no purpose only to result in higher cases per million compared to the UK. So, ultimately, we have ended up in a worse position, despite being far less open and much more restricted for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

They kept us restricted all spring, summer and autumn with October 22nd as the date when restrictions would melt away.

I and others pointed out that we'd be heading into the winter then.

Well Oct 22nd came and winter began. The ending of restrictions was cancelled and now we're heading into a deep winter panic.

Flu season peaks between December and February every year. That is around when our winter "trolley crisis" would happen every year in the past, remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Yeah I too thought it was a "mistake" last year.

This year, nope!

Very much planned.

It was early summer when they picked the 22nd Oct date:

"Oh let's lift all restrictions at the start of respiratory virus season"

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I agree it would be bollix to cancel it but I'm thinking about the new restrictions involving WFH unless necessary to attend the office, nightlife ending at midnight and symptom free vaccinated people to restrict their movements; a 50k+ attendance at a match with packed darts and buses to get there seems at odds to the general, hysterical restrictions being brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm only asking, as if we followed the UK trend, there's a strong possibility we'd have a lot more in hospital now than we do heading into the winter.

If we followed the same trend as the UK, do you think with a higher number in hospital in that scenario, we wouldn't be backtracking on opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Of course we would. But we're already backtracking, despite being restricted for far longer than the UK. We never even got our version of "Freedom Day". At least if we had 4-5 months of a fully-open society (proper open, no half measures), it might make the current reimposition of restrictions more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I understand, but the end point (number in hospital) would be unchanged, more than likely higher and more deaths also.

So open up faster to lockdown harder for the winter? I think the small backtracking would be more palatable than closing hospitality etc...

He wasn't saying that during the actual summer though..

Got to keep fear levels high, hence the repetition of "case numbers".

The ICU and death numbers alone (which are all that really matter) clearly aren't enough to keep the charade going.

• Advertisement

This what we've been saying for a long time now. Boosters every 5-6 months is the plan to keep your "health pass" valid. Donnelly even said the other day "five months, not six, is likely the coverage period we're looking at".

If you're not up for boosters every five months, you need to stop complying. Expect serious coercion, threat of more lockdowns, huge media scaremongering campaigns etc, but "holding firm" and saying "no" is the only way out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Tripled vaccinated I am. It's sad to see most people would be willing to let people die so they can go on holidays, to clubs, pubs and restaurants. Yes I get it, it's called living and I too enjoy those things. However, I would agree to restrictions to avert the death of a vulnerable child over any holiday or activity.

I agree case numbers rising doesn't mean a lot as most aren't hospitalised. However, the fact is ICU numbers and hospitalisation numbers are increasingly rising and they will continue to. So regardless of who is the leader of the Country something has to be done. Yes it's bad HSE management that we have hospitals not fit for purpose. But restrictions are being reintroduced in many Countries around the World, it's not just Ireland.

Unfortunately, these current measures won't be enough to stem the surge. I see a lockdown coming very soon. All said I find that very disappointing especially after taken 3 shots, but it is what it is.

I think it might be worth pointing out, I am not defending the Government, I have never voted FF, GP, FG, SF or Labour and I never would, ever.

I must point out I'm not in agreement with boosters every few months.

So, we just keep going and going and going with Covid restrictions forever to prevent a few people dying? People die in car crashes all the time; should we all stop driving cars to save a few more lives?

Remember, the median age of Covid deaths is 83, the same as that for all deaths. 88% had underlying conditions. Covid is nowhere near as deadly as the media have you believe.

Everybody dies at some point. It's unsustainable to continue as we are. Time to go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

It's wrong to imply that the annual trolley crisis is due to flu or respiratory illnesses. The patients who have been waiting on trolleys are there with a myriad of conditions. Unfortunately last year and this year we have had these illnesses but have also had covid on top of it. And while someone with an acute pneumonia may have been able to lie on a trolley beside someone with a broken leg in an ed for a few hours or overnight, you cant do that with covid patients.

Take for example, flu cases, which over the last few years were

2019 approx 7900

2018 approx 11k

2017 approx 11k.

ICU total (total admission over the whole season!) Were

2019 159

2018 191.

2017 59.

All of the above is freely available from the HPSC website.

And before anyone says, yes we were swabbing for flu in the hospitals. We did have people who had chest infections and flus but they were generally in and out over a couple of days. Covid patients are generally longer stays with ICU stays being 16 days on average with 1 in 3 icu covid patients dying. That doesnt include the patients that are getting enhanced respiratory supports outside the ICU. It also doesnt account for the transmittability of covid and the impact of it in staffing levels, even if a healthcare worker is well, I wouldnt fancy them being around sick patients of any age.

This isnt to say I agree with the strategy, or that I'm not devastated for nightclub owners and workers (and young people who have had a sh1t couple of years), I'm just saying this to correct the perception that the healthcare crisis that's being ongoing in the last few years is the same as the pressures that Covid is putting on the health system currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

So despite all the charts, models, panics, lockdowns, closures, distancing, bankruptcies, nasty covidpass, vilifications, and frankly balderdash of the past two years....

One of my kids brought it home from school and proceeded to infect all of us. Its a bit of a dose, nothing that bad as expected given our ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

And several of the usual supposedly knowledgeable talking heads in here said "no no it's too early wait until we've maximum vaccine coverage". Only an absolute fool would think opening up on 22nd October was a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

You'll be stopping driving your car then as pollution from cars causes countless deaths worldwide per year? I mean if averting deaths is that vital?

Deaths are only 1 metric. Did you know there were actually more people between the age of 55 - 64 (2630) admitted for covid than people over 85 (2547). There were nearly as many people between 45 and 54 (2280).

I'm seeing increasing numbers in these age groups who had ICU stays or prolonged hospital stays due to covid (not with covid, because of covid!). People who were generally fit and well prior to covid. While younger patients are more than likely to survive, that's not to say they didnt have a significant impact on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

@PhoneMain 'It's wrong to imply that the annual trolley crisis is due to flu or respiratory illnesses'

I believe it's a factor, as the worst trolley crises would often be at the peak of flu season.

In any case, *this* flu/covid season will likely mark the peak of hospital admissions - partly due to some of the special circumstances you've outlined in your response to my post.

So, in that context, what is mistaken about the point I was making - which was that suppressing freedom all summer and then planning to re-open going into flu season is a strategy doomed to failure and likely to create maximum frustration by serving to prolong restrictions into an all-year thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I would love to see data on people who get reinfected and how sick they get. Is it less severe etc. Because that's seems now our only way out...let it run through everyone gradually.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah it's a factor and maybe you're right about opening up earlier. However I do feel that they genuinely believed during late spring and early summer than opening up in October would be the last time. Unfortunately it's not worked like that due to possibly a myriad of factors. Hopefully if we do have to lock down, itll be over soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Can you expand on why saying no is going to get us out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You're also expressing your disapproval of why people may reflect differently on boosters. We won't get anywhere near 92% this time.

We're almost two years into this now, I am fairly certain we will be in the same position next year, government restricting things, shutting down businesses they consider disposable for mere optics, more "boosters", pressure on the HSE etc. and people cheerleading them on from all angles. I've had a few people say to me just lock up the un-vaxed and they're not even joking when they say it.

I'm vaccinated and I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it's depressing seeing how easily people are willing to essentially turn full on authoritarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's sheer frustration that COVID will not go away and they want someone to blame. Our low level of beds in the system leaves us at more risk and all we have is a strategy of more boosters more quickly into the at risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, I have a friend that has been convinced that unvaccinated are the problem. You argue the facts with him, the De Gascun tweet, the underlying conditions stats, the fact that a lot of people in hospital that are classified "Unvaccinated" were not able to be vaccinated, and all you'll get is a snarky response. This is replicated all over the place.

When we were supposed to go back to the office, a work colleague was demanding to know who was and who wansnt vaccinated.

It's nuts. People are not willing to do research. They just take what Pat Kenny and Claire Byrne are fobbing out as the Bible.

Couldnt agree with you, we will have more therapeutics on board next year along with better vaccines. Hopefully this year will be the last year of it. And in fairness, in many countries in Europe they're talking about reimposing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Stephen Donnelly has been very strongly advocating the use of antigen tests right from the start according to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

I would love to know death rates, hospitilisation rates etc since we reached 90% vaccinated ... They still use stats from 2020 to fear monger, I suspect the IFR , hosp. rate etc is similar to a flu on a 90+% vaccinated population.

But shushy shushy shushhhh!!!

Advertisement