Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

sure is that not doing what you suggested in the first place, you could shoot the lights out and its tempered by your high handicap on the back

you play badly and are low you end up with a better score than the high handicapper

works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

We have forward tees, but they were never rated. The red tees were rated however (a k.a. The Ladies Tees though I'm probably not allowed to refer to them as such these days BUT the ladies continue to play off them and never the Black Tees and the lads play the black in comps and never the reds. Ever. Just like always been.)

You're asking me why the forward tees (blue) were not rated? I really don't know why, and I care even less why not

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

This is an image of a 12 hole round as displayed on the clubhouse webpage. On this one the first hole not played has a net bogey and the remaining holes have net pars as per the rules of handicapping which I posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Been reading up a bit on the reports that are available to committees and the GI Guidelines on them. Seems a lot of people could slip through the handicap review report unless they have a good few scores under there handicap, with the calculation provided. @prawnsambo is this review done on the last 20 scores or is it whatever scores they have had for the year?

If they slip through the above report they could still be caught by the COMP vs General Play scores, and also the non counting competitions. There is quite a few who could be reduced on the non counting scored. Our winter league see regularly 15-20 players beating their handicap, some by a considerable amount. Be interesting to see how the reviews go.

I don't know which thread to post in anymore, this one or the or the original one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This is just another arbitrary method that doesn't have any data backing it up. There is actually a report on the GI portal that compares 9 hole score differentials with 18 hole ones. I ran it for my club and looked at all players who had played 5 nine hole competitions or more (on the basis that less than five produced large deviations in both directions). The vast majority who played five or more had differences in score differentials (either way) of two or less. The proportion of better scores from 18 than 9 was about one third. This was spread over all handicap ranges proportionally with the biggest deviations in the over 20 index range. Expressing better 18 hole scores as a negative and better 9 hole scores as a positive, these were the ranges:

0-9.9 HI: -3.7 to +3.0

10-19.9 HI: -3 to +2.8

Over 20: -8.8 to +5.3

Half the over 20 index players had played more 9 hole comps than 18 hole ones, so that data is skewed in favour of nine hole comps. Another aspect of this is that the nine hole comps are only played in the summer (evening golf), so conditions would be better on average than for 18 hole comps that include April, May, Sept and Oct.

TL;DR: There's not much in it, if anything.

The review is done on the whole year. Obviously a bit truncated since we didn't start back until the end of April, but that would still include a lot of scores and probably a bit more since more GP scores would be in than previous years.

Unfortunately non-counting scores don't turn up in the reports since they don't get transferred to the Golf Ireland database (afaik). But clubs would have access to this data if they want to expand a look back into highlighted members. Most clubs won't have non-qualifying comps in for this year - we've been qualifying up until now.

We have had non-qualifying winter league for the last 3 weeks, 15 holes, and the winning scores have been 39/38/42 so you would hope the committee are looking at these.

I was about to say they weren't outrageous scores until I realised they were from 15 hole comps. 🤣

Yeah, they should look at those, but I'd say you'd need a few more data points before you could draw definitive conclusions. As I said above, you'd be looking at highlighted members from the main reports and then drilling down to look for additional evidence from the likes of NQ comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is it very forward and placing ?

Even if scores are daft.

• Advertisement

Placing everywhere yes, tees are forward but still on the same teeing area mostly, so at most 10 yards difference bar one hole might be 20-30 yards.

What makes them even more impressive is the lowest playing handicap of the 3 scores is 10, and with 16/17/18 each being an index 10 or below they all had holes with shots coming.

edit: i should say because its a mixed comp sometimes it adds 1 to the playing handicap so could account for an extra point or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

We played a scramble in Druids Glen during the week, we are all single figure handicapers and shot 16 under gross...we played savage golf to be fair....comp was won with a net of 37.5.....that's 33.5 under par, team had 22.5 shots and shot 11 under gross....I mean seriously, WTF.... That said we had a class day and were pumped coming off the course, don't give a sh1t about the comp or prizes but just found this hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

I heard about that score and was wondering did they make an error with the scoring? So with the new system for scrambles (25/20/15/10%), I roughly worked it out that each player would have to be in the 30s handicap range for the team to get 22.5 shots which seems unlikely but you never know with this joke of a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Our autumn League (4 weeks of comps, teams of six made of 3 pairs) has just concluded. It was nip and tuck up to the last weekend in which the format was full scramble. The winning team pulled away from the other teams by a whopping 14 points. No one in the team with a handicap less than 13, with one guy playing off a handicap over 30. Highest handicap in our team was 16. We never stood a chance. Club is reverting to 15 hole singles for turkeys till Christmas now. Pointless entering that. Better off to play for money between ourselves in our regular fourball.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

13 handicapper wins in Killarney at the weekend with a mere 49 points.

Great shooting by him, he could have walked in after 16 holes and still won. This gentlemen was previously a low single-handicap so it's great to see him regain some form after a terrible run of casual play scores over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Don't know why these are set to non-qualifying. We've been running our Winter league too and so far it's been qualifying with placing on the fairways and lift clean and replace in the rough. Best score so far was 43 points for 18 holes. Forward tees takes about 500 yards or so off the summer tees. Playing 15 holes, you just enter as 18 with nett pars (did not play) for the missing three holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not true. Prawnsambo is correct here. If there is more than 14 holes played then it can be qualifying

Which is why the apps for scoring now ask if you played and didnt score or did not play a scratched hole

Also placing everywhere. But we have open comps each weekend also which are qualifying with placing everywhere so i haven't a clue.

Yeah, the Committee can declare holes not to be played for various reasons and 15 hole rounds can be acceptable. The screenshot below of the handicapping rules sets out how these are calculated. "Placing everywhere" is a bit vague. You can't have a qualifying competition if placing is allowed in the rough. The only allowable rule is for cleaning and replacing the ball in the rough, so the ball has to be replaced exactly or as near as exactly to its original spot. No looking around for a nice tuft of grass to sit it up on. 😂

I'm not sure how placing everywhere is a bit vague, maybe if I said placing everywhere except bunkers and penalty areas would be more accurate.

Been trying to get an answer for ages how we have qualifying comps with the above but I cant find an answer. Pretty sure its just a money spinner.

"Placing" implies preferred lies, which if allowed in the rough means non-qualifying. That's why it's vague in the context where you seem to be saying it's qualifying in one instance and non-qualifying in the other. If they're both non-qualifying, then that's fine and I've misunderstood.

No the issue I can't understand is that they are not the same as far as qualifying. Winter league is non Qualifying, and the Open is Qualifying. Same course, same winter rules in place. I must actually check if the rule is Lift clean and place or replace in the rough. I'm pretty sure its place though within a club length.

If it's placing in the rough, it can't be qualifying. Somebody seems to have their wires crossed. I'm not surprised tbh, this was brought up over a year ago on this forum and I specifically asked the GUI about it and they said that model local rule E-2 (lift clean and replace in the rough) did not apply to Ireland. I had to send them the CONGU bulletin that specifically stated that it DID apply to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would this gentleman happen to be a member of other clubs around the county? Down from 15 two or three weeks ago to 8 or 9 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

He is definitely a member of one other club within the county. It's possible he has membership of others....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭wonga77

Definitely the same person I am thinking of as I saw the results online. His good form has continued yesterday with another win. He'll be back to scratch in no time........

Advertisement