Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'll ask the same question.

Should there be restrictions, if so, what restrictions and on which groups?

If no restrictions, which groups do you deny treatment to first (either by keeping them in care homes or outright deny them treatment).

If you think there shouldn't be restrictions because it's a big hoax and the government(s) are doing it for other reasons, what reasons are they?

Glad to see what your opinions of a front line worker are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Has anyone ever claimed that it's all a hoax on this thread? If not you're using dirty, cheap tactics, which is common with those who are desperate. If you weren't desperate you wouldn't be putting words in peoples mouths.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'm sorry, this is totally incorrect.

Did you even read your (yahoo) link where it specifically says "People with HIV and those with weakened immune systems due to other illnesses or medication might be at increased risk for severe COVID-19. They may receive a COVID-19 vaccine"

Patients with HIV and other immunocompromised conditions can get the vaccine as long as they have no contraindications. This website sometime, some of the falsehoods that people put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't agree that covid has made fools of us all.

I recall my own accurate predictions not out of pride but because I understand that different sets of assumptions lead to different conclusions and I'm trying to demonstrate that in real time.

So last January I said we would be restricted this year from October onwards.

Since I'm not a time traveller how can I know what's going to happen 10 months before it happens? Because I'm making logical deductions based on my own (correct) pattern-reading.

You are essentially saying 'No one can know when covid will do x, y,z'.

First of all, yes they can - through observation.

Second of all, you are conflating the political response to covid with covid itself in a kind of reductionist material determinism. "The virus made us close nightclubs. Now the virus is making us do this" etc.

No matter how many times the government characterises its specific chosen actions as passive responses determined by material factors outside its control (and you echo them) this is just not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The uptake in the older 65+ cohort and the medically at risk is likely to be very high again for the booster but the general population outside that, I can't see a big uptake at all for a 3rd shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That would be from your OP.

I do not see why some, especially if they are among the 92%, who availed of the first regimen would refuse a perfectly safe free booster vaccine. To me it would be in the area of cutting off your nose just to spite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Where does it mention HIV patients being recommended to get vaccinated? The only instance it seems to list are HIV patients who are not being treated for it or with a certain CD4 count? I suppose the CD4 it mentions indicates a bad case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Being mystified as to the reasons people would refuse to avail of a safe free booster shot,

Its not safe though - there is a level of risk associated with each shot, however small. The more shots you get, the less reward/risk there is, which defeats the case for getting a booster. Even with waning immunity, most of the population are now protected enough from covid that they need to fear nothing from it - but they can still get any manner of bad side effects from jab 3/4/5.. etc

Unless you are immunocompromised or have some other significant risk factor, there is no justification for a booster shot. The death and ICU stats back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Vaccines were mis sold. They were never going to eradicate Covid, they were never designed to do so. Covid was never going to be eradicated like small pox, it’s more like traditional flu where we build immunity and mitigate disease through vaccination and natural immunity.

nphet built their entire strategy on getting vaccines to get Covid eradicated.

covid will be around for many more years.

vaccines are critically important as they reduce the rate of transmission, reduce the likelihood of showing symptoms and being infectious, dramatically reduce the likelihood of needing hospitalisation and most important dramatically cut the death rate. That’s what they were designed to do, they work perfect.

we are now facing lock down again, because having the longest strictest lockdown in Europe has backfired, a side effect is we now have the lowest natural immunity in Europe, there is no way around the fact there most of us will get Covid at some point. The original slogans were correct, flatten the curve and let it burn out in a manageable way, but nphet, again went opposite to WHO advice and went for extreme lockdowns in the persuit of zero Covid.

the arrogance of nphet, their anti science approach has now damaged two Christmas periods.

• Advertisement

Highest CD4 count lends itself to patient not taking their medication correctly/not currently been treated/antiviral resistance (which is rare).

The conversation for most usually goes "There should be no restrictions and we should treat everybody", then they collapse in on themselves as they can't explain how that can happen without COVID being some sort of hoax and the government has restrictions for fun.

In the past few days, these are how the question is avoided:

"COVID is seasonal (apart from the countries with large summer waves)"

"People would have died anyway (how do very sick people die without going to hospital first?)"

"We should add extra hospital capacity (sure, but that can't be done quickly, what do we do till then?)"

"Vaccines are causing the excess deaths (eh?)"

What's your own opinion?

HIV and immunocompromised patients are at a higher risk of severe disease.

I was responding to a poster who said HIV and the immunocompromised arent recommended to get the vaccine. And he linked the numbers of HIV patients and immunocompromised to those in ICU. That's factually incorrect.

I take your point, but I'm not familiar with vaccination for HIV patients and you seem to be: if a person had a CD4 of say 200-500, and were being treated for this, would it be recommended that they're vaccinated? Because the table isn't clear

How exciting for you! To be honest I find this type of posting truly baffling because it offers no solutions, and is really an exercise in ego massage. If your wisdom is indeed as deep as you claim it is some of these insights would have found a way to places where they can actually do something but all you seem to want to do with it is to prove to people how right you are. I've no idea what you are trying to do with that pseudo intellectual piffle in the middle of that.

Yeah I keep coming back to that 70% for the over 80s, which looks like a decent benchmark for the older groups. Agree on other groups.

A lot of people and politicians were banging on about zero COVID (and people on here), we should have been keeping hospitals near capacity with COVID (along with whatever opening got us to that point), but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

However, boosters should mitigate the worst effects and the viral pills should handle the rest, so normality is coming, but the powers that be need to let cases (and hospitalisations) stay relatively high but manageable to get there, locking down for 2 weeks just prolongs everything for 2 more weeks.

The question is if we can get away with the current increased restrictions or will they need to go further, keep watching the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is there any rough timeline for the Pfizer antiviral getting EMA approval and then ultimately being available in hospitals etc?

we should have been keeping hospitals near capacity with COVID (along with whatever opening got us to that point)

Yeah this is a key, but uncomfortable, thing that isn't mentioned much. If we're all going to get infected anyway, then we may as well optimise capacity, essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

The vaccine isn't free. We pay for it through our taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I do not know where you are getting that there was a variant of concern reported in March 2020. According to the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention the first reported variant of concern was not until September 2020, the Beta variant which had low transmission levels. Followed in December 2020 by the Gamma variant and the Delta variant. The government plan you are talking about was from summer 2020 when none of those variants had been reported, least of all the present one which is the major problem, and before we even knew if there was going to be a vaccine.

With no knowledge of the present variant, (or indeed any variants or a vaccine in summer 2020), I do not know what you believe the plan then should have been that would take into account two unknows ?

I wouldnt know the ins and outs of that information, to be honest people with certain conditions are advised on vaccines by hospital consultants so that'd be a discussion between consultant and patient. Same as those with cancer, on immunosuppressants etc

Thank you for telling me what I am. Its great not to have to think about it myself. Really appreciate the time you are taking to think about other people👊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Your commentary - however sincere - offers nothing.

You were still unironically talking about 'only two more weeks' the fortnight prior to Oct 22nd.

"Hey it looks like covid has altered our plans. Oh well you can't know what the virus will do. Gee who could have seen that coming"

Do you not get that restrictions and lockdown are primarily a political choice?

'The virus is forcing us to shutter businesses' Such waffle. Do you see yourself parroting this year in year out?

Cautious waiting in the summer then shocked face in the winter *gasp* the virus has thrown us another curveball!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As I have said in my last post mystified, rather than you somehow looking on it as disapproval. If you cannot see the difference then that is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

To me it's an implied criticism of others but each to their own.

Your link says:

"People with HIV and those with weakened immune systems due to other illnesses or medication might be at increased risk for severe COVID-19. They may receive a COVID-19 vaccine. However, they should be aware of the limited safety data:

Information about the safety of COVID-19 vaccines for people who have weakened immune systems in this group is not yet available

People living with HIV were included in clinical trials, though safety data specific to this group are not yet available at this time

People with weakened immune systems should also be aware of the potential for reduced immune responses to the vaccine, as well as the need to continue following current guidance to protect themselves against COVID-19."

People with HIV and compromised immunity have and do continue to receive vaccines. The likelihood is they are over represented in the vaccine population in ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I think you are better of letting them quote their figures and make all the stuff up that they want. In a matter of days their figures and subsequent calculations are blown to smithereens and they need to make up something else. Sure age is only a minor factor in the death rate. Especially when compared to Covid.

I would be more interested in Minister Donnelly(another expert??) stating 81% this morning of people being treated for Covid in ICU have underlying conditions. Presumably this information is known because the person is in regular contact regular with a Doctor. If we believe HSE statistics are accurate(good luck with that, it is a BIG if), 66% of that 81% of Covid patients in ICU, who are in contact with a Doctor have not chosen to be vaccinated. By my rough calculations, 54% of the people being treated for Covid in ICU, have underlying issues while chosing not to be vaccinated.

In view of the well documented arguments over patients (and their partners) attending Maternity Hospital - another group in regular contact with Doctors - why does it appear that there are significant numbers of people who ( I admit this is my assumption) are in regular contact with a Doctor not choosing to be vaccinated.

Any explanations or even theories folks?

Advertisement