Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If anything Kenny should taking one or two players away from the U21s for March's friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Every new manager who comes in is trying to implement his own preferred style with players they haven't worked with before though that's not unique to Kenny and the first 15 games were a dismal failure at trying to do that.

As for qualifying no of course I didn't think we would but I thought we'd make a better fist of it and not be out after 2 games but my point was mostly that it's madness that we have Pro Kenny people denigrating Mick McCarthy's qualifying campaign where we were 1 goal from qualifying and celebrating Stephen Kenny's where we were out after 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Obsessed with hammering Mick for a 0-0 draw in Georgia whilst bending over backwards to tell us we have no entitlement to beat Ajar or Lux at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

The u21s were decent last night. A good performance in two thirds of the pitch.

The final third is where they are short but that's no surprise considering Idah, Parrott, Conolly and even Obfaemi are still eligible and not considered for various reasons.

If you account for those players missing and also Ombamidele and Knight you have to say they are doing well to be competitive even allowing for the fact there is still a very decent backline and midfield.

I'm not totally sold on Crawford as a manager but credit where it's due he has them in contention despite not impressing in certain games.

His reluctance to use Conor Noss is baffling to me anyway.

Kilkenny, Coventry and Smallbone tucking in from the right all played very well. Smallbone will be sharper hopefully as he gets his game fitness back. Kilkenny looks ready made for the senior team when the time comes.

O Connor did very well attacking from right back but never really found his man in the box with a good cross but he was a great outlet.

The balance of the team was good last night. It's a pity Ebosele and Okoflex were ruled out. They could add a bit of punch to the attacking play.

Noel King was hilarious afterwards. He seemed to be struggling to comprehend lads being fast tracked through the age groups. I'm so glad his days are done at that level. Amy praise was through gritted teeth. Another bitter "football man" who hates anything deemed to be modern and potentially progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Circumstances were completely different, ignoring that is too simplistic.

If you're gonna keep shortening it it's Azer, come on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

To be honest I think much of the Kenny debate comes down the fact that he tried to stick dogmatically to his preferred 4-3-3 style at the start despite it obviously not working. We played some horrendous football under Kenny at the start, hitting countless sideways passes going nowhere and never looked like scoring. I think we would be further along as a team now if he had't tried to implement his preferred style for so long.

It's only after Barry came into the coaching team and Kenny coped onto himself and changed the style to 5-3-2/5-2-3 with more direct passing, crosses, through balls etc while also trying to play form the back that we started to improve. Of course he should be given credit for this and we look a good team now but it shouldn't have taken so long to change.

We are in a good place now to have a real go now at doing well in the Nations League and Euro qualification. We we are still lacking a proper no. 9, Idah clearly isn't good enough, but the absolute minimum is that we should be in the mix going into the last game for Euro Qualification.

Kenny has had his time to build his team, now is the time to push on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Show me where I said you have no entitlement to beat Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

Go on, show me where I said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Irish Media seem to be fawning over Kenny since he came out with that aggressive press conference before the Serbia home game.

You'd think Ireland were playing samba football under him.

The football Ireland are producing is slightly better than under Mick McCarthy but this talk of a footballing revolution is laughable.

Kenny was far too rigid with his ethos at the start of his term, too much messing around at the back.

Too much passing just for the sake of it, sideways and backwards , one paced predictable and insipid.

It took him far too long to adapt his style, it was staring him in the face that what he was trying to implement clearly wasnt working.

As others have said it wasnt until Barry came in that the football became more effective.

We still need more variety, play it out from the back but also the option to go long should be employed.

Its also only since he has gone back to playing experienced players in his team like Coleman,Duffy,Stevens,Egan,Hendrick etc that the results have improved.

The decision to discard some of these players early on in his term was silly, epecially considering the alternatives he played were nowhere near the standard.

Kenny looks a nervy manager and that translated to the players in alot of the tight games against decent opposition especially earlier on.

When push comes to shove and it gets to squeky bum time, I think he will mess up in the next qualifying campaign, he doesnt seem to have enough composure.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ok, i'll rephrase it just for you. Right up until the final whistle blew in our final game of the Euro 2020 qualifiers, we were in with a chance of automatic qualification. I made no mention of playoffs for the Euros, I know we already had that. I was talking about automatic qualification, which is why I used the phrase "automatic qualification" in my post talking about the Euro qualifiers. Check out the letters in both posts, they're the same.

As for San Marino, 2-1 win is 3 points. 1-0 win is 3 points. 3-0 win is 3 points. 1-0 loss is 0 points. I was more annoyed at the 5-2 loss against Cyprus under the Gaffer to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

A bit of revisionist history going on regarding team selection. Dropping Coleman at the start was a mistake but largely Coleman was unavailable because of injury. Hendrick and Duffy were rightly dropped at the time for poor form. Stevens was a long term injury and Egan was never dropped either. Might have missed games with injury but that happens

U21s should be mirroring the senior team with the same formation, especially if Crawford is going to persist with a midfield two of Kilkenny and Coventry. Moves Smallbone and whoever in more centrally to link with whoever plays CF whose more or less isolated in the games we've played under Crawford.

........................... Maher

.. O'Connor - McGuinness - O'Brien

Ebosele - Coventry - Kilkenny - Bagan

..............Smallbone - Noß

............................Kayode

Even drop the second midfielder behind Kayode to play two strikers up front and a midfield three of Kilkenny, Coventry, and Smallbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think King is dead right.

The Nations League does give Ireland a chance to play against teams of a similar standing.

There can be no "sure we were never going to qualify" excuse in the Nations League, like is being used recently.

And this is the good thing about the Nations League, it's not just friendlies, there can be a competitive edge to it, and people, like Kenny can use it to prove a point.

So let's see how much they have actually improved, and let that be the basis for a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Where is this notion of us being eliminated from qualifying after 2 games come from? Yes we lost a game but unless I'm mistaken there is no UEFA ruling that losing your second game immediately disqualifies you from qualification.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We are playing samba football in comparison to where we have come from. Interest is returning

• Advertisement

It's absolute madness to suggest letting a contract run down to the very last days to 'wait and see'.

The FAI are looking for a sponsor, and the team needs stability. How can they attract a sponsor without any clarity on the managers position?

Either tie him down now or let him go now. Waiting until the dying days of the contract is the worst thing that you could do right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's also pointless, for the sake of 500k give him the same T&Cs of the current contract up to end of the Euro qualifying campaign.

If we bombed the Nations league then we can sack him anyway but at least there's continuity and stability leading into the Nations league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sounds like Oko-Flex will be going out on loan in the New Year, Crawford has said to choose his next club wisely - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7927397/armstrong-okoflex-loan-move-ireland-under21-west-ham/

He's definitely a player who needs competitive football, the reserve Premier League level he's at now is muck and he's already shown he's ready to take the next step. Hopefully he can get a club and it will go better than Odubeko's spell at Hudderfield has been. Save to say we don't have too many worries about England coming calling for him given that he's traded reserve team football at West Ham, for reserve team football at Huddersfield.

Sounds like a sly dig towards Odubeko too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What do you know about Joel Bagan at left wing-back there? McLean and Stevens probably only have another 2 or 3 years or so in them at the top of their game, when you consider how physically demanding that role is (vital to be able to cover that whole side getting up and down). To me it seems one of the most pressing areas of the team to have some young talent coming through, I think you really need a natural left footer there ideally.

I see he's playing in the Championship for Cardiff with 9 starts, which seems quite promising to me as a 20 year old. Hopefully he can take up the reins in the next few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I hope all these management shenanigans aren't part of some holding pattern being employed by the FAI to wait for Ole to be freed up.

Yeah he's mainly been starting for Cardiff as they didn't have much money to spend on players in the summer. Bennett's contract wasn't renewed after doing his ACL last season and Bagan was seen as his replacement. Fans have felt he's done alright in a poor Cardiff team but that he's not ready to be playing week in week out given the situation they find themselves in.

Yeah LWB is going to be an issue for us. The U19s have Tayo Adaramola who seems highly rated by Palace, Val Adedokun who moved to Brentford's B team, and Sean Roughan whose played senior games for Lincoln City last season but think long term Roughan could be a CB rather than LB.

Short term it just might be Matt Doherty as our starting LWB. When we're not missing CBs through injury I think he'll move over to the left and Coleman on the right. Would probably focus on getting a younger third option in at RWB as there's lads who could be called up and see how the younger LWBs are getting on over the next couple of years.

Bagan from what I've seen and read has largely been showing promising glimpses but equally making mistakes that a youngster makes. By all accounts Mark McGuinness has been very good though. I know he's not a left back but since we were on the topic of Cardiff I figured I'd mention that.

We seem really set at CB where we have six players + Coleman playing in regularly in the top two English leagues, 4 of them under 23.

CB is a position we're sorted in for the next 10+ years. Three young lads who'll be Premier League regulars, McGuinness you'd assume will at least make it as a top championship defender and Jimmy Dunne is doing well at QPR. Sean Dyche rates him and thinks he could be a top championship defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It shows how stacked we are at centre back that the likes of McGuinness and Dunne barely even get a mention, if they played anywhere else on the pitch (apart from GK maybe) there would be calls for them to be involved with the senior squad. I haven't been convinced by McGuinness in any of the U21 games I've seen so far though, not that he has been bad, but has not stood out as a player I think likely to step up. Obviously must be doing something right at club level though.

That formation looks so much more suited to the players we have at that age group. I don't understand the persistence to play with two wingers and a forward who is completely isolated, it has not worked for them and the wide men have consistently underperformed. It is hard to call who will progress onto the senior team out of the current u21s. Kilkenny is a matter of time, Smallbone will also if he can get back to his pre-injury levels, after that then you'd say Coventry, Ebosele, Bagan have fairly good chances. No standout players further up the pitch but probably because they are all already capped at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is exactly what I think he does not have the experience when it comes to the crunch. But I am neither 'Kenny in' nor 'Kenny out'. I am unsure in the middle. He is doing OK. Just OK. He gave young players a chance - similar to what Mick did when he took over the first time Mark Kennedy etc. And it eventually worked. It has not been as good as that. But it also has not been as bad as when Staunton attempted the same thing - Joe Lapira etc.

I agree with you on the media fawning there seems to be a desperation for Kenny to do well any ANYTHING that can be grasped as a positive is jumped on. Which I think is a bit OTT at times. But Kenny seems like a likeable fella and people want him to well. So feel giving media sound bites help. Such as Lisa Fallon's 'Hearts and Minds' comment which was plastered over RTE News Now.

Fan's I can understand jumping on the bandwagon - looking for any positive. But as shown on these threads anyone who just not state only positivity about Kenny is immediately classed a troll. Or anti-Kenny or has an 'agenda'. That also includes ex-pros/managers who are unsure on Kenny - such as Brian Kerr/Richard Dunne/Paul McGrath. They are shot down as heretics almost. It has that religious, cult feel about iat times.

I can understand it as I said, especially for young fans in their 20's who want to see a rebranding of the Irish team and something to hang on to. To an extent there is a cohort there that are ready to be won over very easily very susceptible to anything that can be viewed as remotely positive. They are that desperate for change - whether it works or not the 're-brand' is key for them. The rebrand worked a while under the 'dream team' of MON and Roy Keane. Before the optics changed and they became yesterday's news.

The support of Mick McCarthy seemed to be reluctant (yeah safe pair of hands - but not 'fresh'). A lot of thing is based on perception.

Kenny is built up as the future of Irish football the savouir, anything else is heresy.

It is a bit hysterical at times. As I said in another post the hype around Bazunu - Ogbene and Omobamidele remind me of the three amigos from 1994 - Gary Kelly - Phil Babb - Jason McAteer. And the hype really went into overdrive when Ireland beat Germany 2-0 in a friendly prior to the WC. Kelly scored - some started to say that Ireland could win the WC at USA 94!

-

So this is the 2021 version (ok the standard might not be as high) - but the hype has started after beating Luxembourg 3-0. The idealistic are daring to dream big (whatever that is relative to the current aspirations of the Irish squad). There is no real objective analysis of the game. The main focus seems to be on the last 20 mins.

But it is no harm in people 'dreaming big' for their team. What is a problem is the shutting down of any other even slightly contrary opinion against the dreamers/idelistics.

The reality is Irish football will never really improve until there is a half decent LOI that is supported by a decent chunk of Irish football fans. Until then it is dependant on the English system of football to develop Irish players, English players who are not good enough to declare for England so switch to Ireland etc.

So each new Irish manager is just a 'rebrand' on the previous manager. Just a short term sticking plaster on the main issues of Irish football.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am a Kenny fan but in my view it was over fir us after 2 games not mathematically obviously. only 6 to play with 2 of them v Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The actual brass neck of Noel King. A man who continuously failed as U-21 manager but was kept in the job for EIGHT YEARS purely because of his subservience to that crook John Delaney. When he retired the FAI statement of his achievements read:

After being appointed in July 2010, King oversaw 40 competitive games and improved the team's UEFA ranking, while they achieved two third-place finishes in their qualifying campaigns.

Even better is that Delaney gave him a new gig after that as the "Player Identification Manager" for the FAI. The fact that a parasite like that feels entitles to snipe at Kenny is quite frankly, remarkable and says a lot about him as a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There might be some credence to the words if they weren't coming from the most useless, lazy, uninspired leech to ever work for the FAI.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Again, have you watched that last few games? The team has mixed up their play, gone direct on purpose. Are you just choosing to ignore this? The football is miles ahead of what Mick has the team playing. Do you not like an Irish manager defending Irish players and telling the media how good they are and what they can achieve, i bloody bet the players do after years of being told they were sh1te!

As a new manager Kenny tried to use the Nations league to try out new players and a new style of play. Many of the changes were enforced by Covid and really bad form at club level. Last season Duffy deserved to be dropped, he said that himself, Doherty was the form right back, Stevens has been injured for a year, Egan was never dropped, Hendrick was muck. And you accuse some pro Kenny people of rose tinted glasses, your just making stuff up.

Nervy, how so? I think its quite the opposite, he knows what he wants to do and believes in the players. What makes people nervy is listening to Ronnie Whelen or Darragh Maloney on commentary having a heart attack everything Ireland take a short kick out. Did you notice before Pepe was sent off for Portugal that Ireland basically went 3-4-3?

Your last point doenst make a to of sense to me, in the Slovakia game, Ireland were the better team and who have made the playoff final if Hourihanes right leg could kick a ball from 2 yards out.

Its already been pointed out to you that apart from 5-10 mins in the first half and the first 15 mins of the second half Ireland were the better team and controlling the game. Ireland did exactly what they are suppose to do in an away against a team in and around our standard. Stayed in the game, pushed on in the last few mins and scored 3. How many times did Micks/MON's/Traps team do that? If Kenny had a young Robbie Keane.......

Ok so, who are the English players not good enough for England that are in the Squad now? Also why you keep harping back to years ago I have no idea.

The hype about what this team might do actually started after the away performance in Portugal. Where the journalists who are "fawning" over Kenny saw an Ireland team with a plan to try beat a big team that wasn't sit on our own 18 yard box and hope for the best.

What you are failing to see is that Kenny Ireland team are starting to capture hearts and minds of fans as they are enjoying the football and putting pride back in supporting the team. Even when Trap was competitive the majority of people were giving out about the football. People may be getting slightly carried away with it but that's what hope can do to you.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.......From what you have outlined above its sounds like you would prefer big Sam and have Ireland put 10 men behind the ball and defend for 90 mins instead of the team being proactive and trying to win games rather than trying not to lose them.

Post completely vindicates what dubhgormdubh said, if you don't worship Kenny, you want Big Sam or some other hoofballer. No grey areas, everything is black and white, one or the other, no in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I mean most people that want Kenny gone have stated they wanted mick who's nowadays absolutely a hoofballer. Peps not waiting for the opening but Kenny doesn't have the required pedigree so I'm unsure who you think we can afford or who would be interested thats not going to set us up that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd bring back Mick McCarthy.

I think he was crippled by the 2 year "transition" nonsense with emphasise on qualifying for one tournament last time which meant he effectively couldn't blood new players.

He would have done with a normal open ended position as manager imo.

Ya and Cardiff and Apoel turned out well too after. No thanks. If people want an alternative at least make it credible and not someone at the end of their career. Doesn't matter either way as SK will be getting his extension soon by all accounts.

Hold on here now, as others pointed out Mick was guaranteed a play off due to MON nations league. Instead of going out and attacking the group and showing no fear, he played muck defensive football and came third. You would bring back a man that was failed in his last 4 jobs? Where the club fans hated him and could not wait for him to go because the football was so bad. For god sake he played 5 center halves in one game! Mick could not have asked for a better scenario, he had a playoff spot guaranteed and still produced that muck for a year and a half.

Mick was great for Ireland first time around, but he is long past his sell by date.

Really? How so? I have asked the poster to name a realistic manager to take over from Kenny. The only suggestion was Mick, the complete opposite to Kenny and what Kenny and the underage Irish set up are doing. And as outlined above i have shown why we should not go near Mick again. The poster states we should not play out from the back, pass in our own half, go more direct and play kick and rush football. Explain the nuance in his posts where what he has said is not basically looking for a big Sam type?

Name another manager to bring the team on and improve what Kenny has started?

Kenny has changed in his 20 games in charge of Ireland, multiple posters have pointed this out but the Anti Kenny people fail to acknowledge this. He may not be the man to manager long term but he sure as hell deserves the next campaign and the minimum expected should be a playoff place. If he doesnt get that then he should be sacked or not have his contract renewed at that stage.

Open it up to applications. State the wage available and the conditions under which the manager will be working and whats expected, see who applies. Who knows, maybe Kenny will be the only applicant, but what is the harm in looking? It won't cost us anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So you won't be supporting my official boards.ie campaign to bring back Mick McCarthy then?

Can you give me an example of someone realistic that you'd be happy with taking the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Brilliant idea. They should post it on jobs.ie sure what's the harm

There are plenty of managers out there who could get us playing football and who are available. The likes of Wilder and Cocu would fit the bill, no one seems to be beating down the door down for them. Maybe someone like Valverde who is getting a bit older would take a less demanding international role? There's sacked managers out there like Farke or Pirlo who might want to rebuild their career and would take a step down. There'll always be options out there who are not immediately obvious. Just look at how well Rossi is doing at Hungary, or Sagnol at Georgia.

I am ok with Kenny being given another chance, but to say that no one else is out there is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The likes of valverde and pirlo wouldn't look once at us and we can't afford them. Wilders not going to leave a championship team for us. Cocus not the worst option bit he's not had manageriap success recently and the lads who hate us playing it out from the back won't want him either. For most on here this is very much a philosophical argument not managerial. The majority of the people that have been vehemently Kenny out want us to put players behind the ball and play long balls to an athletic striker.

• Advertisement

Didn't get the memo on that one, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There isn’t really that many respectable names who’d do the job for 500k so im not totally getting the idea no.

the odd time i’d watch Derby under Cocu it was dreadful dreadful stuff.

david wagner was my idea when kenny looked like a bomb but he’s off the market now and kenny’s reign is looking interesting right now.

im sure this debate will run out of steam, hopefully soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Good luck getting any of them lads to get up outta bed for €500,000 a year. Delusional.

Championship managers would be on that sort of money. Also can't imagine the likes of a Rossi or Sagnol at Hungary or Georgia are on big money either.

I don't think the salary is fixed at 500k though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement