Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Those are fairly astounding ICU stats. Boosters need to be rolled out for those with underlying conditions immediately. In a way it sort of makes the new COVID pass rules make a little sense in order to push up vaccination levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Speaking of ICU stats, 119, up 5 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Regarding antivaxers... I was in a conference call a week or two ago and one of the team, not my team, was asking what was the way forward for people who were not vaxed. After he was given the answer he then added, what about people who will NEVER (emphasis was made on the word never, almost as if it was something to be proud of) get vaccinated.

I know this person well and it doesn't surprise me one iota that he has taken this stance, he's an intelligent guy but dear me this has made me think that underneath his intelligence, he's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd be interested to know stats on the unvaccinated. What percentage are unvaccinated by choice, and what are unvaccinated due to medical advice. The latter group would skew the ICU percentages a lot so if there's a fair chunk of them, it doesn't do much. Never mind that Austria's measures are batsh1t anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Medical authorities don't just "use medicine to see", there is a proper authorisation process to go through first, which would involve trials happening and that data being submitted for review. It's typically a 1-2 dose treatment for worms, not an every day treatment (as those espousing it are using it as).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Only vaccinated can go to pubs ...

but there getting closed because there spreading Covid

but telling unvaccinated to get vaccinated because it stops the spread of covid

but telling vaccinated to get boosters because there vaccines aren't working ,

WHAT A SHOWER OF EJITS

I am vaccinated because I'm around vulnerable parents but if he doesn't want to ever be vaccinated why would you or anyone else care ?

Its' his choice its his body ,

The vaccinated are spreading the virus to if they are not why close pubs early if only vaccinated are in there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Being vaccinated is a positive for the general population, it helps in controlling the disease, it is not a solution... but idiots that take relish in stating they will never get a vaccine... are idiots. And in honesty if he got sick and ended up in ICU... I'd not blink an eye.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those ICU stats posted above are absolutely crazy in the grand scheme of things.

You can deduce that there is ONE fully vaccinated person in ICU who is fully vaccinated and not immunocompromised.

Based on that, yesterday’s interventions should have been based on those facts instead of giving the impression that vaccines don’t work.

1. Increased enforcement of Covid passes and more widespread use. Encouraging those not vaccinated to get vaccinated by any means necessary.
    2. Immediate and aggressive rolling out of boosters by any means necessary to those that are immunocompromised.

These actions will address the issue. Instead we get a load of nonsensical overreach that makes people fed up and does nothing to actually address the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Statistically small IIRC. If we take anaphylaxis, the upper estimate for its prevalence is about 2%. Higher in children, but let's ignore that and double it.

So if we suggest that 4% of people are unable to take the vaccine, then you still have another 6% who could get it and reduce pressure on ICUs by up to 36%. I've yet to hear of a single person say, "I can't get it" though, virtually everyone I have heard who haven't got it, are straight out refusing it. So that 6% is likely too small, but still more than enough.

I'd be curious to know what proportion of the "unvaccinated" 10% includes people who've had Covid. Because if, for example, half of the unvaccinated have had Covid previously, then that makes the hospital numbers even more stark; since we know acquired immunity is about as good as vaccine immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

The stats show that the immunocompromised are the main in ICU having been vaccinated. They’ve been getting their third dose for over a month now (nearly two months). I’d be interested to see who in the cohort 4/7 and up in iCU. Is it severely obese people, etc. I know in the US obesity is one of the leading problems for COVID ICU admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My parents in their 70’s ( who both have heart conditions) getting their boosters today. Great to see 👍

If someone doesn't want to be vaccinated why does that make them an idiot ?

People have there own opinion & worried and circumstance not sure why you'd jump to there an idiot ,

If he did get sick and ended up in ICU i don't think he'd care if you cared or not , Why would anyone expect you to blink an eye,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Do the government really expect people to pay for antigen tests?

For them to have any impact they need to be free in my opinion

Even then whether they'd actually have an impact is debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Is there any a handy link to that I want to show an asshole the stat on the fully vaccinated in ICU that are immunocompromised and why is this not been reported and shouted from rooftops!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There was an immunologist on the radio last night saying that most of what the government announced yesterday will have little effect and they should be focusing more on a) Getting boosters into people as fast as possible and b) getting fully behind antigen tests. The stats you've posted back up the idea that boosters are our best solution.

So what's the holdup?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Go on then explain your "by any mean necessary" solution.

Tiny numbers for a country of 5 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Was a decision made on those who won't get their booster?

• Advertisement

Wait so is it true

1 person in ICU who is fully vaccinated and does not have an underlying condition ?

I wonder what age is this person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

And in honesty if he got sick and ended up in ICU... I'd not blink an eye.

This exchange with your colleague says more about you than about him, I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

98%... I don't doubt you, but where did you see that. That's nearly double the amount that Israel and UAE experienced. Which means it's not vaccine waining that's causing ICU to fill up here, it's people that haven't received their 3rd jab (not a booster) and obviously the unvaccinated people.

The 3rd jab has been rolled out well over a month ago, so hopefully we start seeing an impact. Technically we should see a higher % unvaccinated in ICU going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, like out of the 8-9% that we're told are unvaccinated, I'm assuming half that have been given medical advice to not take it, or not take a second dose. And all of those are likely very vulnerable for ICU I'd assume. I'd be assuming lots then who are unvaccinated by choice are in younger age groups and not going into ICU in general anyway, and at this stage a lot of them probably have acquired immunity.

Ultimately, we need more data. We're being given very simple stats and those are not telling an accurate picture imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Unlike if the UNJABBED have had COVID and have some natural immunity (and also possibly younger), particularly as we are at 93% of those over 18, which will possible reach 95% by mid-December. Unless you decided that those who are 6 months passed their initial jabs are now unjabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some HSE data on the rate of hospitalisation and in ICUs over the last two weeks.

Of the 55,272 cases - 640 or 1.16% were hospitalised.

There were 39 cases admitted to ICU, which is 0.07% of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

What a shambles. Goverment have buried their heads in the sand since september and now we are paying dearly for their failures.

Nphet are all over the place. Their constant lies about schools, farcical models and poorly thought out virus control measures have seriously damaged their credibility.

Why on earth did they open nightclubs with no mitigation measures? Stevie wonder could have seen it was going to be a shitshow.

The sheer incompetence and lack of leadership of it all does little to inspire confidence.

Since they failed to put in any real mitigation measures in place in society -ventilation, ffp2 masks, antigen - Our only hope at this stage is the boosters. They seem to be **** that up as well though - no surprise there.

So ultimately it's looking like another lockdown. While some of the ones in the past were warranted and necessary, this one coming definitely could have been avoided.

As Albert said; 'Were doing the same things over and over again expecting different results'

Insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

What percentage of the unvaccinated are immunocompromised? shouldn't that be taken into consideration also,surely some of them would have ended up in ICU vaccinated or not.

Advertisement