Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl Band to Gilla Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭antfin

I don't really care for the term "body-shaming" unless it's mocking a disabled person or something. I'd happily tell a fat lad that he was unhealthy. I just think that a name should not cause confusion. There's enough confusion about how to describe people without offending these days. I'm not saying they did it intentionally but if a festival has a target for female led bands then this name can make a lineup look confusingly female when they are obviously a male led band.

I think Felix is grand live at a festival. I wouldn't buy a ticket to see him solo though.

Good morning to all of the Snowflake Generation that are up bright and early being offended at a band changing their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well fatboy slim is an oxymoron, a contradiction of terms, exceedingly confusing. Will he be fat, will he be slim, at 58 is he really a boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It was worse than Paul Scholes and his daughter i nearly deleted twitter over it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought the name was short sighted but other than that I surprised they were heavy enough for me to actually like

At the end of the day, it wasn't a great name anyway. It probably started as an attempt at irony. In the modern age of focusing on female representation in rock music it had potential to be confusing for anybody that cared to look at a lineup to see whether there was a significant proportion of female artists. I'm not a hairy armpit type feminist but I want to be given an equal chance and I do think that men have enough of a leg up in general in a male dominated industry without also benefiting from a womens equality initiative... even if it might be unintentional.

I wonder what percentage of the people offended by the name change are middle aged men that spend time online looking to get offended at people that want to level the playing field for others to have the same opportunities as them?

Ok so it's ok and empowering for female artists to golden shower someone live on stage in front of children with no consequences because it's the modern age of female representation in rock ? Not sure why you are having a pop at middle age men either that seems weird what does age have to do with it.

I think the percentage of people "offended" by the name change is around 0%. Whats offensive about a band changing it's name? It happens a lot. It more the creeping woke shite coming from USA working it's way into Ireland that people (don't want to mis-gender anyone) are worried/annoyed about.

Nope, she should have been prosecuted the same as anybody that behaves in that way, assuming there's a specific law for that, which I hope there is if it was non-consensual! There's nothing empowering about denigrating another person.

I'm not having a pop at middle aged men in general, just that very small sub-group that spend their time online getting offended by people that want to promote others getting equal opportunities. The kind that tell inferior people like us women that we're either stupid or disingenuous if we don't agree with their point of view on even trivial matters.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't neccessarily consider the concept of female equality in rock music to be a US woke ideology but I'm not that into it to know the history of the movement. Perhaps the focus on movie awards or leading roles in movies for females was more of a woke US thing somewhat linked to the concept of black actors being unrepresented. In terms of rock music I only became aware of it over recent years in the UK and Ireland moreso than the US when it seemed to be more of a focus around headliners at festivals being highlighted as all male.

How does a band being called "Girl Band" stop equal opportunities?

Fair enough but not all middle age men are like that some of us are actually nice :)

I'm not saying it stops equality or they intentionally did it but it could be perceived as them trying to pass themselves off, or at very least be confused as a female led group when you quickly scan the lineup of a festival to see how much of the lineup is female and you're not familiar with them. I probably wouldn't put up a poster advertising my appearance at a show as the "Strongest Man in Ireland" when I am neither strong nor a man!

Not some... the overwhelming majority are nice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Are you in the band?

No? so then why does it matter a toss if they wanted to change the name?

They've explained their reasoning, it doesn't change their music, it's a nonsense thing to be offended over

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

It's impossible to discern a gender from your username, and the "stupid or disingenuous" was referencing your ludicrous attempt to paint another persons comment as referring to all girls when he spoke of a 'negligible minority'. Completely apt.

Step outside your little victim complex there and act like a grown up, you'll feel much better.

It still hasn't been clarified who he was referring to! Feminists as a broad group I assume, but it wasn't very clear. I don't see what you find disingenuous of me assuming he meant feminists or female equality advocates. You jumped to an immediate put-down rather than engaging in the attempt to discuss the matter. You've a very adversarial and insulting posting style that's not in the least bit persuasive, it must be said! To clarify also, I don't feel victimised because 1) I'm not involved in the music industry and 2) I don't consider someone who doesn't know me telling me I'm stupid to be a specifically accurate or hurtful act. It merely clarifies the type of person that I'm dealing with.

But the point is that it's a band name, if they are going to be on a festival poster they're playing it, no matter their name, changing their name isn't going to magically make a female band get added to the line-up. If you go to see bands based on their names more fool you. What do you expect to see if the Super Furry Animals are playing? Would you whinge if you were uninspired at Muse? Should the Bare Naked Ladies change their name to the Fully Clothed Men? I'm also led to believe that the Pet Shop Boys never even owned a pet shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I'll give you a hint - I wasn't referring to feminists or females. And you can be certain that the people who "educated" them on this (as they referred to in their statement) were not doing it for "equality" or "females". There's a very specific type of loser that "misgendering" offends.

• Advertisement

But you didn't say 'Feminists' did you, you didn't say 'female equality advocates' either, you said 'girls'. Not withstanding the fact that i would assume that the amount of actual feminists who would be offended by a band name of 'Girl Band' as probably being miniscule, a fact i assume the the original poster would have been aware of when first speaking of a negligible minority.

And your 'middle aged men telling inferior people like us women" comment does have a bang of victim framing off it, again v disingenuous.

This is a message board, if you post silly/disingenuous shite on it people will respond to it. Regardless of what you have between your legs.

Fair play, I'll go into my box now. You've convinced me of your point of view.

You don't need to go anywhere.

I remain unconvinced by your "people could be confused by a poster" angle thou.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of it all, but promoters have in recent years emphasised their billing as having intentionally increased the female representation. Electric Picnic has made explicit reference to its attempt to be more inclusive. Some have even emphasised "female performer only" days. You had bands like The 1975 claiming that they wouldn't play festivals unless there was a higher percentage of females. There's a very definitive initiative to increase female representation and what I'm saying is that when they publish a poster there is scope to misrepresent it somewhat if a high billing is given to a band called Girl Band that consists of males. Just my opinion and I could be entirely wrong as that was just my interpretation of the motivation for the name change in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Run of the mill soulless marketing.

Sellouts.

If unable to break through just coat-tail on a social issue.

Dont think itll work for them.

People listen to who they like. People go see who they like. Women make up roughly 50% of the population.

Why should a festival intentionally increase female representation if there is no demand for it? If there was a demand for it the likes of The 1975 wouldn't have to stomp their little feet about it, because promoters would be falling over themselves to make dirty, filthy lucre off the back of it. Adele never needed a leg up, nor Madonna, nor the many, many amazing, successful female artists from around the world.

If a band/singer needs a leg up because of their sex, then they aren't good enough to be there, and that is a stone cold fact. Same with male bands that don't make the cut. There's no "force" stopping them, they just aren't popular enough, and don't have enough talent to make it to the top. Same in sport, business, entertainment. If it is popular and makes money, it'll be given airtime, whether man, woman, child or performing animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It was a shít name anyway, so is Gilla Band though. I played in bands for years and they all had shít names, it's very hard to name a band really.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

"G-Spot & The 4 Fingers" - a contemporary group who play acid jazz covers of Wolfe Tones songs while performing interpretive dance. See it's not that hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I like it, might use that one for my next project.

• Advertisement

A band called girl band should have at least one girl in it..

Advertisement