Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl Band to Gilla Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

A group called Boyzone should have at least one male child in it - the logic doesn't really work does it?

Jesus, I'd hate to think who you imagine should be in the Fine Young Cannibals

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah you're kinda right there will be a push for more diversity , same in the workplace, the 1% of female engineering job applicants will find themselves getting more interviews nowadays then before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bingo.

And the permanently outraged will give them all the juice they need.

I'd say a good 90% of the posters on this thread never even heard of this crowd til their little stunt.

😆 Mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭antfin

It's not the first thing I look at myself but I have seen those posters floating about on social media where they remove the male only names from the poster to show how many females are playing. It's a definitive initiative and some promoters attempt to cash in on it. The first thing I look at when a poster is released it whether there are many performers that I like but there are people who have no interest in attending regardless and they'll try to quantify the gender balance and then express their outrage online. They'll be doubling outraged if they feel tricked into thinking one such band is in a fact a band consisting of all males.

As I said, I could be wrong but I imagine the band would have gotten some complaints from those people regardless of whether they had any interest in listening to them under any name.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Not really, hearing about them doesn't equate to listening to them so it really hasn't done anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The more people hear about a band, the more chance it turns into talking about it...the more chance people will have a listen too.

This is just a stunt by a small time group to generate publicity and they're getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The perpetually outraged desperately looking for something to be outraged about. Now it's a band that they'd never heard on in the first place chancing their name that has them all in a tizzy.

Must be tough going through life railing against everything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

They have been getting guff over the name for the last six years. Probably just fed up at this stage. The explanation/apology was a bit wanky tbf.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/6azyz5/girl-band-premiere-interview-2015

• Advertisement

In fairness, yer man that started the thread is probably in the band..

I really am perplexed that any time some **** "progressive" apology or press statement is met with derision, the same faces pop up to claim that we are "outraged".

We aren't outraged. We just recognise it and comment on it. There has been little to no comments even bordering on "outrage". Most have been eye rolls and head shakes.

Or does outrage just mean thinking something is stupid.

And Robert, even you can't claim that this PR exercise wasn't a pander to "the liberals" in order to get some free publicity? Or do you genuinely believe they are very sorry for "misgendering" their band?

Lol. Please tell me you don't believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Love music, but not a note in my head. I could maybe be like their Bez if they're looking for one? Get drunk/stoned and dance like a loon.

I don’t care either way except it’s a relatively clever marketing move. I strongly suspect the number of serious complaints this unknown band has had about their previously unknown name is zero, the number of articles written about their old name was zero, and certainly the number of boards threads about their old name - also zero.

And here we are discussing them. Clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Anyone with a decent knowledge of indie music would know who Girl Band were and that they were all blokes. If they didn't know that, or they are clueless enough to put them on a bill without the tiniest bit of research, then I'd suggest that they shouldn't be putting together a line-up for a musical festival.

My two cents - I've seen them live twice and they make are amazing - their albums just don't capture the exhilarating cacophony they make onstage. I thought it was a bit stupid when I heard the name change yesterday - I grew up listening to music in an era of bands with provocative names (Butthole Surfers, Suicidal Tendencies...) but I've mellowed on it. Doesn't really matter what they're called when they're that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I never knew Girl Band existed until they no longer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

"it had potential to be confusing for anybody that cared to look at a lineup to see whether there was a significant proportion of female artists"

Now maybe it's my fault for not having fuckwits for friends but I know a grand total of zero people (male or female) who have ever looked at a lineup to see whether there was a significant proportion of female (or indeed male) artists. They'd typically look to see if there were bands/artists that they'd be interested in seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I've been a fan of Girl/Gilla band for a good while now, even met them a few times in the whole Dublin music scene, seemed nice enough. Don't really care about the name change. Hopefully all the girls out there can get some sleep now that justice has been served.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

under representation??? LOL

do you live under a rock??

heres a small sample list of where female based music outnumbers male by 8 to 5

anyone familiar with current music scenes knows it very much 50 / 50 these days with new music been gender equal.

heres another list where the representation is 14 female lead, 7 male lead and 3 equal

all this is is a band looking for publicity...... the worst thing they were guilty of was false advertising.

this is like 'rollerskate skinny' changing their name for being afraid of upsetting anorexics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Its the most publicity this band ever got, plus they announced some upcoming gigs, so you'd have to wonder what really inspired this. Especially as the explanation they gave was kind of paltry.

But it does add just a tad to the current atmosphere that minding your own business is not enough, "silence is violence" etc. That we should all engage in some Maoist "self-criticism", where we rack our brains to find any political or social transgressions we may committed, make a public confession, followed by a re-affirmation of our belief in the (current) party line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

We sure they didn't do this just to drum up some publicity for their band?

This is the first I've ever heard of them. I doubt they were getting much actual pressure to change the band name.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

The amount of triggered conservatives complaining about the world changing around them is amusing. Oh noes, how dare they use different words to call/describe things as to what I grew up with. If only "the woke mob" would leave me alone in my safe space.

lol.

It's conservative to think that a band apologising for "misgendering" their band is ridiculous?

My oh my.

(and actually, the people who are offended that "they are using different words to describe things" are the people who had an issue with a male band being called girl band, so that part of your argument doesnt hold up in this instance)

Its manufactured outrage designed to trigger conservative/right wing types into giving them more exposure as culture war issues is all the right have.

i'm also amused by you saying you'd be turned off listening to them due to them changing their name.

Nice bit of virtue signalling there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The band are far from unheard of.

I'll never understand people who automatically assume that just because they themselves have never heard of someone, that it means that no one else could possibly have heard of them either.

Not virtue signalling at all. I'm just being honest.

I'd be turned off listening to a band I hadn't listened to if I thought they were the type of people who would apologise for misgendering their band. That isn't virtue signalling, that's just me not listening to a band that I think are twats.

Coldplay have some great songs but I can't listen to them because I find Chris Martin insufferable. It's my bias towards him that ruins my enjoyment. It's not a "protest" or me trying to "cancel" any one or any thing. I just personally wouldn't be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I haven't seen any outrage here. But I don't want to go back and re-read all the posts. Seems mainly people suspecting a publicity stunt using current trends about gender politics.

"We are changing our band name. We will no longer be performing or releasing records under the name Girl Band. We apologise for choosing a misgendered name in the first place and to anyone who has been hurt or affected by it."

"When we were starting off it was chosen without much thought, from a place of naivety and ignorance. We had no grasp of the weight of it at the time and in the past few years have found it impossible to justify or explain this choice.

"Regardless of our intention the effect of the name has been damaging to individuals. To try and negate any unfortunate role we’ve played in propagating a culture of non-inclusivity in music or otherwise, we have decided to change it.

"Thank you to those who spoke up about it and educated us on this, either directly or indirectly. Moving forward we will be performing and releasing records under the name Gilla Band. Gilla being a given name taken from Old Irish"."

Their statement didn't ring true for a lot of people. "girl band" is clearly ironic. its unclear how they are hurting, and damaging people. It just seems very cynical. But I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it.

you're letting everyone here know that you wouldn't listen to a band due to them doing something socially/politically unpalatable to you.

• Advertisement

i don`t know but the OP seems to be in a right flap about it

Advertisement