Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric scooter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

SoulWriter wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUABANCHE-Scooters-Adults-40KM-Long-500W-Motor-Pneumatic/dp/B093FJPYSX/ref=psdc_3581933031_t1_B094MXMDHD

anyone got one of these. It will be legal in the future i understand. anyone know when

It would be for someone going to shops about a mile away from their home. Hilly area going. All downhill coming back

But seriously, I don't think anything with s saddle is being considered for the upcoming change is legislation to permit e-scooters

Alkers wrote: »
    But seriously, I don't think anything with s saddle is being considered for the upcoming change is legislation to permit e-scooters
    no? so still will be illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

As far as I am aware yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

With a saddle it'll be considered a motorcycle, so you no, won't be legal imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUABANCHE-Scooters-Adults-40KM-Long-500W-Motor-Pneumatic/dp/B093FJPYSX/ref=psdc_3581933031_t1_B094MXMDHD

anyone got one of these. It will be legal in the future i understand. anyone know when?

It would be for someone going to shops about a mile away from their home. Hilly area going. All downhill coming back

That's a moped because it has a 45kph top speed, I always wondered why they changed the moped classification away from cc and now I know, that requires a M licence and it will always require a M licence.

I'd say that we'll go rte same way as the UK and only make the hire scooters legal. That way there's no need for the Gardai to try to find out if a person's scooter is lega or not because all personal ones will be illegal.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's a moped because it has a 45kph top speed, I always wondered why they changed the moped classification away from cc and now I know, that requires a M licence and it will always require a M licence.

I'd say that we'll go rte same way as the UK and only make the hire scooters legal. That way there's no need for the Gardai to try to find out if a person's scooter is lega or not because all personal ones will be illegal.
    You mean people won't be able to buy a scooter at all? I can't see that with all the money in them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The UK is hired scooters only currently to test things out in a limited and more controlled manner, they're going to eventually expand that out to private own ones.

Right now they're doing tests within tests, some of it acting as the control group while they make other have unique sounds as they operate for example to assist the visually impaired ( which apparently is just terrifying them instead) in know they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Here's KTM's take on it - note, being Austria, it's got lights, number plate etc..... you won't be toddling up the pedestrian zone on it either...

https://www.rushlane.com/ktm-electric-scooter-for-the-future-12296755.html

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Here's KTM's take on it - note, being Austria, it's got lights, number plate etc..... you won't be toddling up the pedestrian zone on it either...

https://www.rushlane.com/ktm-electric-scooter-for-the-future-12296755.html
    it's almost a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

it's almost a motorbike

At 80kph it is a motor powered vehicle for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »
    At 80kph it is a motor powered vehicle for sure.

They all are , regardless of top speed.

That's a moped because it has a 45kph top speed,

is every e scooter with a seat considered a moped?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Under the proposed legislation e scooters will be limited to 25kph I understand.

allowed on the road? won't they need reg tax and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No insurance, no tax, no license, and no helmets.

Over 16 y.o. only.

I can foresee them mowing down pedestrians on footpaths tbh.

I can see cars killing allot more people than scooters, but we still don't make them illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Indeed they do .

However the person behind the wheel must pay for liability cover to cover them or individuals involed in any such instances.

I still struggle to understand how you can create an increased risk with a scooter such as this but the liability is all on other parties.

It's the same rules as a bicycle... They've been around longer than cars or motorcycles and bikes are pretty well accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are they accepted though?..

And genuinely of we are to get into realities bicycles are far safer specifically from a physical device standpoint. The small wheels and small brakes on scooters with the bare minimum tyre surface area on the ground means by nature they are risky in various weather conditions.

From a liability perspective they do have higher risk.

• Advertisement

Higher risk of what? Losing control, mounting the footpath and killing a couple of pedestrians? Hitting a car and killing all of the occupants?

Higher risk of causing injury. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

causing what injury to whom? The user, pedestrians on the road, other road users? Whats your logic? While there can we freek accidents with all fors of transport... theres no denying that electric scooter limited to low speeds don't pose a massive threat to other road users...

Pedestrians on footpaths primarily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not accurate to say that e-scooters and bicycles are subject to the same rules, in that an e-scooter doing say 30km/h is undoubtedly breaking the incoming law, but that's perfectly legal on a bike.

E scooters will be limited and won't be able to do 30km/h. If they can, they will be subjected to tax, insurance etc...

Jaysus... you could say the same about any vehicle...you're clutching at straws now. The law is based on people abiding by the law.

We're on the motorbike forum... how many motorbikes out there are modified and don't comply with their insurance policies? should we ban them all? I saw a motorcycle being used on the footpath recently, blah blah blah

Untrue. The electric motor on both escooters and electric bikes is limited, but you can pedal or push as fast as you want, there is very clear legislation on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i should have mentioned that on the flat, an e-scooter doing 30km/h would obviously be breaking the law. but going downhill, yes, they may exceed that.

but the point was that bikes have another mode of propulsion, and speed limits don't apply. so the difference is practical rather than theoretical.

Advertisement