Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The antigen tests sent out to asymptomatic close contacts are made by Siemens, a reputable company.

Not some upstart, obscure new company with no history of making medical devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You could well have posted the whole post. You know a Facebook search gives the full post yes ?

The pub doesn't say in the post that it's closing. Are you being purposely misleading here by saying "pubs closing yet again"

Heres the full text,

Norris's Update. We hope you are well. With our inept government stumbling towards another lockdown this SUNDAY 21st may be our LAST 'LIVE' GIG THIS YEAR with TUCKER 6 to 8pm so get out while you can & Support Live Musicians ! Please remember to wear your mask when coming to the pub AND when standing or moving around in the pub. Thank you for your co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fair enough, I for one am shocked at pth being overdramatic and disingenuous.

But antigen should not be a person's first port of call when they have symptoms. That's not just Irish advice, other countries have the same.

Because having symptoms with a negative antigen result would lead to people thinking its just a cold or another virus. Which can result in less cases being detected and further transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

How do you get a PCR test these days? Nothing available online and after hours Doctor seems to have a never ending queue on the phone. Do the appointments still appear first thing in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Jaysus Luke o Neill on CNN with Hala gorani live right now. We're world headline makers,..... "Ireland with an 89.1% vaccination rate, sees cases rise". It's almost embarrassing☹️.

He's hoping the peak comes in the next three to four weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Good to see pth's pub following the guidelines. Some of the mad lads here won't like to see that. Haha

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So would you prefer people to not bother with a PCR as it's too cumbersome?

I'd a sinus infection recently and needed antibiotics.

Before I even rang my doctor I booked a PCR. From booking to results was almost two days. It was not detected so all good and I got the medication I needed.

At this stage of the pandemic not everyone will pull kids out of school etc waiting for a test.

If antigen gives results as in this case it imo sharpens people's reactions as the poster said the families isolated and all went for PCR on the back of the positive antigen tests.

If anything the results time for PCR and the time to get a test need to be reduces, I can pay 89 euro for a PCR and get results in four hours.

Not 30 as in the case of my test

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see this thread is welcoming as ever

The Facebook Post is a bit negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Exactly. Antigen is just another tool. I had a close contact positive last week. I already had a cold and a negative test from those symptoms. But I booked one again. As I found out in the afternoon, I couldn't get one for that day or the next day at a center within reasonable distance. So ended up being a 4 day turn around. Ended up being negative. Apparently rhinovirus doesn't like letting covid in.

The Facebook post still isn't what you posted though. That's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Out of the last six weeks we have had one full week Undisrupted of school with my two kids and husband all getting various illnesses. It’s a forty minute drive to nearest test centre and a three day wait from booking to results. We have made the trip several times and will continue to do so but antigen tests have a role to play as well. Especially for my son that reacts badly to the pcr swab being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I wonder what it will take for people to admit they were completely correct to lift all restrictions in the summer.

In my opinion I don't think any adult or child should go to work or school with cold, flu, respiratory symptoms until they subside.

In many cases, such symptoms take a few days to clear. From appointment to result may take 2 days, but if a person is still at home waiting for symptoms to lift, the timing of the result doesn't help a person get over their symptoms any quicker. I think it's worth waiting for a more accurate result than having a quick result that has a significant chance of being wrong.

That account of people going for pcr off an antigen result is one example. As these tests can produce many false negatives, what would have happened if the people with symptoms got a negative antigen result. Would they have gone for pcr. PCR was needed anyway as people had symptoms.

From that example of 3 households and 14 people, 11 got a false negative result from their antigen test.

This relates to an earlier discussion about the differences between Ireland and England. I put it down to no opposition in Ireland (identical newspapers, identical political parties etc) vs plenty of opposition in England. But there's another difference that occurred to me today. The scientists and doctors one encounters daily in Ireland in newspapers, on the tv, and on the radio, are always negative and pessimistic. In England, however, there are plenty of scientists and doctors in the pubic eye that are positive and give hope to people. I'm thinking of doctors and scientists such as Dr Raghib Ali. Professor Carl Heneghan, Professor Sunetra Gupta, Professor Karol Sikora, Dr John Lee, and others. I can't think of or name a single scientist or doctor in Ireland who has appeared on tv or on the radio and given people hope. There may well have been one, but I just can't think of any.

But, as with everything else, I think the above is a consequence of widespread groupthink in society, which itself is a consequence of a lack of an alternative media. You need balance. England has that balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Honestly I think we are moving to a different stage of pandemic now where we are not going to catch every case. Antigen tests should catch most of them no? Do they have to be 99.9% accurate?

I think most people know they need to isolate with symptoms anyway. As we are in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What was their reasoning? If not now, then when? Maybe when you offer the 8mil at the time, their second jab. Needless to say, they were expecting a massive surge (the 100k, that was upped to 200k by a minister). Then after a massive surge, it would tail off into winter. That was the plan.

Unfortunately that hasn't happened and they are heading into winter with high case numbers and a high number in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Several PCR tests plus antigen tests in the last 6 weeks? I think you are doing your kids serious harm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's your opinionated your right to have such an opinion

Not everyone is in a position to stay home waiting days for test results

And then you have people like me with the likes of sinus infections which can have lingering symptoms for weeks

My negative PCR was reassuring but I've used antigens regularly since tbh while I recover from my infection

Knowing I regularly get sinus issued my doctor suggested a test after I had booked one, and that was fine with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

There could be something in that. I had a very bad rhinovirus infection on October bank holiday weekend 2020. Hospitalised for 4 days, that came after pneumonia, hospitalised for 5 days back on paddy's weekend 2020. Sick (pun intended) of hospitals!!! I'm an asthmatic so would be in the vulnerable but not severe category. I have had both shots of vaccine and haven't had so much of a sniffle since October 2020. Could be a fluke who knows

Edit: just to add I'm usually healthy enough & last visit to hospital was when I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Their cases and hospital numbers are pretty much the same as ours. Yet they've been fully open for months . No talk of further restrictions either as their cases have levelled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

We never were catching every case. That was always impossible with asymptomatic transmission.

Antigen tests miss a lot of cases with who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic due to not being able to detect low viral loads. They can even miss symptomatic cases.

You need to have a very high viral load to get a positive antigen result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Don't post lies and speculation, don't get called out......

How many pubs did you have to search before you found one with a negative twist?

Tony advocating for indefinite masks and social distancing is just another conspiracy theory proven true.

Continued social distancing is incompatible with life itself.

But should or should not doesn't matter to a large number of people at this stage. Getting tested is a pain in the hole. I've had over 60 PCR tests since this began. And not one positive result. People get fatigued and the effect it can have is like the boy who cried wolf. So when they don't feel that ill and it's the equivalent to a head cold. Of course people will take the easier option of testing at home. People are just tired of the whole thing. Like will we still be here in December 2022 or in 2023 asking people to go for PCR tests a when they have cold like symptoms. Covid does not look to be going anywhere.

I reckon a lot of people's circles are mixing with other vaccinated people given the high percentage achieved. I know among my group of friends and family, there isn't much care given about mixing as everyone is vaccinated. The same level of risk evaluation that existed before vaccines is not there for a large cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

My takeaway from the last few days from talking to people is what is the point in the vaccine? (Now, I and probably the majority know the benefit of the vaccines re severe illness, but this whole lockdown approach does undermine peoples opinion of the vaccine).

Are lockdowns now just the tool to "protect" our hospitals, completely unsustainable in the long term.

Billions put into the health system and no tangible improvements, the HSE just seems like a black hole for money, like most government departments, no accountability.

Seems the Irish media love to publish Covid headlines on a daily basis (I guess it get the "clicks"). If you look at the UK, the major headline everyday isn't just Covid (BBC / SkyNews) as an example, granted you will find a covid story on those sites but not the main headline, everyday of the week.

We seem to have more of an obsession with covid in this country than others

If antigen testing picks up even 20% of cases where people use them instead of a PCR thinking they don't have Covid that's a good thing imo

The WHO have recommended them for ages and now NPHET do too.

I personally know of five different people who used them preemptively and were positive. Then got positive PCRs, all asymptomatic as well.

They have a place in the toolkit

• Advertisement

There's a bit of science behind it and some studies done if you were interested in reading more. I had a quick search on Google. Rhinovirus and influenza like being the only games in town. And if you have them. You are not likely to also get a covid infection. One example I read was about a bad rhinovirus dose going around Europe which prevented swine flu from taking foot.

Maybe there's a way to stop it. We all go out and get colds and it won't be able to spread :)

Advertisement