Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling mileage vs motor vehicle mileage

Options
  • 17-11-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

What is the ratio between your weekly average cycling mileage vs your mileage in your primary motor vehicle (whether it's a van / car / motorbike / public transport bus). Including non-work related commutes.

My commute to work is 21 km each way, a good chunk of which is on the motorway and taking a non-motorway detour would nearly double that unfortunately. So 210 km weekly by car. I do about 50 km a week of odd spins in the car for various other reasons.

I take a spin twice per week (leisurely) sometimes thrice per week, so lets say 2.5 times per week of my usual route which is 30 km (I've proudly built up my distance 😂)

So, driving 260 km .. cycling 75 km .

260:75

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

Or 52:15, given that we're doing ratios, so might as well simplify.

No idea what mine is, might try work it out later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably about a 2:1 ratio (12k in car, 6k on bike, per annum)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't own a car but I do use the wife's car sometimes to go to the local supermarket/shops or bring my son to football training. If the weather is particularly bad I'd use the car for my 4km commute rather than arrive soaked - only once since the return to office in September which is great - especially as the commute by car takes 30mins on a school day vs 13 mins on the bike. In total I reckon I do less than 30km in the car per week.

I use the bikes mostly for leisure spins and currently Strava has me at 270km per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

How many of those kids live within walking / cycling distance of the school. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I live next door to a secondary school which makes the traffic particularly nuts close to the house. I see kids (teenagers) that I know from the area who live well within 2km of the school that get driven. And they don't even get dropped outside the gates - they get driven into the school yard. That said, plenty walk and cycle but I reckon many more could too but don't for various reasons(lazy perhaps? perception of danger? heavy bags?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I do about 1,200km a week in the car v 50km on my bike

1 km a week so or just a fair weather cyclist like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Seeing as we are talking in mileage (and as one who still hasn't converted to km), before the various lockdowns the family car annual mileage used to be just shy of 5,000 miles. Between commute and leisure I cycled an average just over 5,000 miles p.a. Hence my proud boast was that I cycled greater distances than I motored in any one year.

However, on last NCT the car mileage had increased by just 600 miles over the previous year, so cycling greater distance than that motored does not sound to be such a feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This year so far

30000 car

5000 bike.

6:1

But next year be more like 12000 car.

2:1 if I get the finger out......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I live right beside a large secondary school myself. I've no issue as such with the line up of cars in the street outside my house between 3 and 4 pm (as i knowingly bought a house beside a school) but what does intrigue me is the number of parents who sit there outside my house with the engine idling for ages - some for an hour or more each day (especially when they are in a van or truck).

Anyway, back on topic. I used to do about 20,000kms on the bike and similar in the car for a few years but in the past year or two, between lockdowns and my elderly parents being unwell in Donegal, my cycling distances have decreased while my driving has increased substantially. There was a time when I'd go for 2 months without visiting a filling station. Sadly, those days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Usually 60-100 km a week on the bike. 0-40 km a week on the bus. Basically I take the bus at the weekend if I’m being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

My ratio is somewhere in the region of about 20:3

I only cycle for leisure/pleasure, and thats only at the weekend. Commuting or mid week cycling arent really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

I cycle to work during the week when I'm not working remote, and try to do any errands by bike when I am remote, so works out at 15-20km a day cycling, 2 to 3 days a week. I only drive at the weekends, and usually it is to my parents, 95km away, but that's only once every two weeks or so. So my weekly average is ~150km driving to ~40km cycling. which is a ratio of about 15:4.

When remote working ends my cycling should double, so 15:8. looking at that, I need to up my weekend cycling, but that's a job for the new year and charity cycle training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How often do you have to change your name with that mileage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anywho, havn't attempted to drive a car in 3 years (I'm properly ****, much to the wife's annoyance), so 7500km to 0 for the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1:1 at the moment for me but soon to change to 5:1 in favour of the bike as I move house.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With the lockdowns and a job change, I've drastically reduced the amount of driving that I do - five years ago I'd have been doing maybe 25k kms a year. Bought a replacement car last November and I need to check but I think I've done about 5,000kms since I got it (a sizable percentage of which was on holidays in Kerry). Most of my travel is bringing the family somewhere or the young fella to a GAA match in the arse end of nowhere.

Currently on 8,500kms on the bike in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I only rent cars, and infrequently, so I think I'd average about 30km per year for the last five years in cars and vans, and about 8000km per year on the bikes. So 267:1 bike:cars, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Mine is skewered somewhat due to living in Dublin during the week and living in Wexford the weekends, and kids and grandsons living in Westmeath, This adds about 12k km to my driving, but its worth it big time.

This year , driving/ cycling ratio will be near to 3:1 due to missing 3 months off bike (back issues 1 month, vertigo 2 months ). Best year was about 2.5 :1

25k km on car and 10k km on bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I'd do between 40/45km a week in the car and average about 204km a week on the bike.

Even before lock down I lucked out and got a job in my field about 5km from home. That drastically cut the amount of driving I did in upped the cycling as if the mood took me I could do a nice 20km loop that would get me to work instead of going there directly with almost all of the traffic coming against me. My wife does most of the driving and very much see's the car as hers. I usually get to drive on the wet days going shopping so herself and the girls can be dropped at the door and I have to go find a space to park 😪

We are also lucky in that where we live everything is within 20 minutes walking, far less by bike. So that car mainly gets used for the big shop and outings with the kids further afield.

I'd say I've less than 400km pa in the car over the last few years and 4-5k on the bike. so what a 10:1 ratio bike vs car? Killed to me to pay nearly a grand for tax and insurance a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

100km a week on my commuter bike to and from work and any other small journey i.e to the cinema or if I go into town on a Saturday

100km a week on my road bike, I would usually do a 50 to 70km cycle on a Sunday morning and a 25 to 30km cycle up and around howth head during the week

My car is usually just to go to the shops at the week end or some places I would just need the car, usually 10km to 30km a week

Jesus, is it worth having a car for 10-30kms per weeks? It would be far cheaper to utilise taxis. (I might only use my car one or two days a week but I'd often put up 600kms in it in a single day.

I do 200km per week on the road bike and just 40km in a typical week in the car. I'm close to 7,000km for the year on the bike and less than 2,500km in the car. If my short commute were possible on the bike I would do so but I am dropping and collecting kids to a creche/playschool at either end so not an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭billyhead

Got rid of the car 5 years ago and now cycle everywhere. I do about 150km cycling a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I know, I could probably do without it, but I just like to have it for convenience, going to festivals and driving outside Dublin when I need to. I did 1200km of the West coast of Ireland in a week in the summer for example, but I could just get rid of it and use taxis, rentals and go-car.

Yes, but do you have access to another car in the household? I occasionally hear lads saying they've given up the car but they don't say that they have another car in the household that they can access if required. Not really the same as such. Not saying that giving up one car isn't a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭billyhead

No other car in the household. Only used Public Transport to get to work before the pandemic. I cycled into work the odd day during the Summer. A 60km round trip.

Advertisement