Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

I think the immigration of West Africans to America will be a wake-up call to "African-Americans".

Nigerians realise the opportunities available to them in America compare to where they came from. They realise that if they work hard, show basic respect for law and order then there is nothing stopping them from living a happy and prosperous life. They know what real hardship is. As they leap-frog African-Americans you would hope it might be wake-up call.

Multiculturalism leads to Balkanisation leads to a lot of tension and discontent all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Yeah, I agree.

Hey look, the deck very often is stacked against poor people. No matter where you go in the world, this is invariably the case. It's an unfortunate reality, and I do have sympathy for anyone born into that predicament.

My sympathy starts to run a bit dry, however, when people conflate race and poverty into being one and the same thing. It creates a perpetual victim-hood mentality that is counter productive. It also serves to isolate whole communities, when their route out of poverty actually requires greater cohesion and connection with wider society.

Race baiting politicians in America, have a big chunk of the responsibility for causing the situation we now see in that country. Keep them poor, keep them isolated, tell them everyone hates them - they will eventually be convinced that it's true. And you can keep hoovering up all the easy votes.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Lots of loud protests outside the courthouse, really frightening, these people don't care about the truth ...

White people on trial for shooting white people, and the protestors outside are ranting about white supremacy.

Clown World ladies and gentlemen........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That motion to dismiss with prejudice is very damning on the prosecution. Constitutional violations, bad faith arguments on evidence already ruled as inadmissible, and Brady violation (s). If they can also prove the prosecution knew the identity of drop kick man they are in big trouble for lying in court as well.

The withholding of the full video from the defense was not an error either. They clearly state during the hearing for provocation that "their video is better quality".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Yeah, I think they're already at dismissal. Dropkick man could push it to sanctions for the prosecution.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The judge really really wants a jury decision on this but I can't see how he could ignore what's happened in his own courthouse. If they come back with anything other than not guilty on all charges then he is in a very uncomfortable position.

Yup. And I think Binger has done it on purpose. There are just too many mistakes. He's an experienced prosecutor and he has prosecuted under this judge more than 40 times. He knows what he will and will not put up with and he's crossed the line in egregious ways several times.

He's also released a statement to say that he's not going to be releasing any statements to the press regardless of the outcome.

I think he knows he's taking an L one way or another, and at this point he'd rather the judge be the sole focus of the destructive, violent rage that could follow. If the judge declares a mistrial, Binger didn't technically fail to secure a jury prosecution.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

He wasn't even allowed release that statement to say he wouldn't be releasing a statement under the law there. Idlf this is what he behaves like with the national media watching him who knows what he gets up to in other times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No such thing as bad publicity. The idea being that you'll gain kudos even in association on an issue. Which may result in political gain or similar later down the line. So if you win a case but got a lot of lots of negative association, losing a case, with positive association will do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Dems in Congess a while back were celebrating African heritage and black history but had to have it pointed out that Africa had a lot of people who aren't black and even some white folks. A recent Zambian president was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

After Rittenhouse is acquitted or the judge dismisses the trial with prejudice he should immediately bring lawsuits against many of the mainstream media for their deliberate and willful lies including defamation and slander for labeling him a white supremacist and domestic terrorist.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

If he is acquitted, Biden will have some uncomfortable answers to give regarding using Rittenhouse in his propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. I'd be very surprised if anyone thought that all Africans were black.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The arguments for 'mistrial' are matters of law and thus just as valid after the jury returns a verdict, the conviction can be overturned by the court of appeals.

I suspect that's the 'least-damaging outcome.'

Isn't it a lot harder to argure a case like this in the appeal courts rather than now though?

As a matter of interest would Rittenhouse be placed in custody until that appeal is heard as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Is the prosecution deliberately f*cking this up? It's like a Will Farrel comedy. Very odd.

What are the defense playing at here? This is pure madness. They have all the cards here and are folding on a royal flush. Looking for mistrial without prejudice is crazy.

Yes deliberately it seems. The defence is seeking a mistrial WITHOUT prejudice based on this new evidence only admitted last week from the FBI drone. (See video here) (Around 6mins 55seconds) The previous motion for mistrial that was with prejudice was about a different issue.

The prosecution's case initially was that Rittenhouse is an 'active shooter, white supremacist, crossing state lines illegally in possession of a weapon seeking trouble'.

Their own witness quashed this story when they said Rittenhouse didn't fire until he fired first. They now needed evidence that Rittenhouse somehow provoked one of the earlier shootings

Then, half way through the trial, they start to talk about 'provocation'. Rittenhouse somehow provoked these men. What was this based off of?

A blurry drone footage supplied by the FBI which was digitally enhanced. What's wrong with this evidence? Well it turns out the file was compressed before being 'enhanced'. Compression makes the file smaller, by grouping alot of similar objects together, essentially deleting a lot of the finer data.

The prosecution explains it happened sometime in between him sending it back and forth to the officers involved in the case, he's not sure how it happened. It happens if you attach it as an e-mail he explains but not when 'air-dropped'.

Their whole case now rests on that blurry drone footage which was compressed. That image shown in court wasn't just to say 'look Rittenhouse was there at that time' they were used to 'prove' the angle of the gun.

Looks like we're going to have another jury and another trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Not if the defense just found out the prosecution withheld evidence and then presented it in closing arguments.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

They should have kept with the original motion for a mistrial with prejudice.

I think the judge has yet to issue a ruling on that request. https://www.cbs58.com/news/motion-for-mistrial-with-prejudice-still-on-the-table-in-rittenhouse-trial

It looks like he's hoping the jury will save him, otherwise this might turn into a shitshow altogether.

The judge said as much today. He's praying for an acquittal or there's going to be serious questions to answer.

They also asked for a mistrial without prejudice a few minutes ago. Madness.

I can kind of understand how protestors might be upset now. It looks like the judge is giving Rittenhouse kind of 'a shot to nothing', if the jury comes back with a guilty verdict he could just declare a mistrial.

If he was going to declare a mistrial he should do so before the verdict IMO and he had perfect grounds to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

West Africans are per capita at the top in performing in America, with Nigerians massively over represented in Wall Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What are the grounds for a mistrial? I have not been following that closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Will there be a verdict today one way or another?

I try to tune into the live streams and watch chat but all I see is "GUILTY" and "INNOCENT" spammed a gazillion times a second.

• Advertisement

No. Deliberations have finished for today. Back at 9am tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement