Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will there be another lockdown?

Comments

That is untrue.

When I said nobody knows, I meant it literally.

It is an area of Irish law that has needed clearing up for a long time.

I am extremely upset at the thought of a masked society indefinitely. For me they're the worst things in the world. But I won't labour the point.

I actually forgot what the thread was about there for a sec. To answer the question: I believe there will be a lockdown next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

I won't be getting the vaccine! You don't need to keep writing it at the end of your posts!

Why complain about mask wearing and lockdowns then, you are part of the 8 % of the population contributing to over 50% of ICU admissions. Those admissions are influencing Covid related policies.

I suppose doctors can change their tune too.

Perhaps after 5 or 6 years some of them might see the other problems that this has created and change the message they give out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

No it isn't.

The only way you can administer health care to someone against their consent is under the Mental Health Act. It's section 12 I think (but am open to correction on that point).

You can't vaccinate people against their will.

Think about it practically for a second: how would it even work? Are you going to put people in prison for not getting vaccinated?

I assume they just want us to be under house arrest and not forcibly held down and vaccinated.

I wonder will we be allowed to order food shopping to our houses or will we have to starve? 😁

I'm vaccinated myself, and will be getting a booster if it's offered.

A high percentage of those in ICU are unvaccinated. If they had gotten their vaccine, they wouldn't be at deaths door.

Everyone should be getting vaccinated. You're rolling the dice if you don't. It's a mistake, that could be costly.

I understand that I'm rolling the dice but I believe I'd be rolling the dice by taking the vaccine too. It's my choice to make.

• Advertisement

Why would you be rolling the dice?

It is of course your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Whatever about forcing vaccines on everyone, society can create the situation where it would be very hard to live a regular life without one. I suppose like a conscientious objector during a war. It is a war really.

Serious side effects, both known or long term, unknown side effects.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I also made the same choice with the swine flu jab when I was offered it while pregnant during that pandemic.

Thanks for actually respecting that it is my choice and not just berating me 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MagaBot

Daily reminder that exaggerated models are not "doctors and experts speaking the truth". Also worth noting that referring to covid death numbers as a valid metric for opening or closing the country is quite misleading when any death within 28 days of a positive covid result is counted as a covid death. On top of that, where any death that has an undetermined cause is added to the covid death counter for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MagaBot

I suppose we should construct purpose built facilities to detain them in too and take away their basic human rights, yeah? Listen to what you're saying man...

I don't think doctors and scientists should be censored. I'm saying that constant negativity and sowing panic isn't a good thing. What's true in McConkey's statements about restrictions lasting for years? It's an opinion. It's not necessarily the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Would you not class yourself as negative?

Majority of your posts on the Covid threads are about how all restrictions will be permanent. What are you doing different to McConkey? Ironically pushing fear and doom and gloom at every turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

People are effectively 'forced' to take a medicine every day. All over the country so it may be possible.

Yes, I have become negative because of the constant negativity from the media scientists and doctors. But the difference is that I'm not in the media sowing fear and panic. I'm more worried than negative, probably. Worried about the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

You do understand you are posting your constant negativity on a public social media forum sowing fear?

People here read your posts and badly researched links just like you did from other sources and regurgitated them here.

• Advertisement

You said earlier you would have no problem with being locked down as a consequence of your choice to remain unvaccinated and you thought most of the unvaccinated would be okay with it too.

What's the problem now?

Loueze, my God, the thread has moved on! We're talking long term here, mandatory vaccinations, dystopian times...keep up

BTW, what I said was that I wouldn't have a problem being locked down or that I believed most of the unvaccinated wouldn't either if there was an end date, and things would go back to normal after.

You are constantly twisting everything that I say!

Next time you want to quote what I said, please go back and take a look at what I actually said and the context in which I said it so that I don't have to keep clearing it up for you!!

It seems to be okay to say that those with underlying conditions or in high risk categories (through no fault of their own) should live very restricted lives indefinitely, so that everyone else can get back to living their lives "as normal".

Funny how it turns into a human rights issue when its suggested the unvaccinated-by-choice should have to do the same.

The difference is that the unvaccinated are perfectly healthy. If someone has underlying conditions then it is not sensible for them to take care and to be cautious? If they want to be, of course.

I know exactly what you said.

But now it seems you're adding qualifications (and maybe thinking its not such a great idea after all?!?)

Its already been explained in detail that guarantees of an end date to a pandemic cannot be given. It's an ever evolving situation. I don't know why you would expect anyone to be able to give you an "end date".

How do you know they're all perfectly healthy? They could have undiagnosed conditions they don't know about. Take diabetes, for example. Many people live with it for years without knowing they have it, but its a high risk factor for covid19.

So what you're saying is, if someone has underlying conditions, its acceptable to expect them to restrict themselves (indefinitely), from living a normal life, while the unvaccinated get to do what they like, go where they please, and continue to disproportionately fill up hospital beds?

Okay then.

I'm not adding any qualifications.

"I personally think most unvaccinated people would be ok with going into lockdown for a while if that meant the pandemic ended for everyone and things went back to normal after. We know it won't though!" page 47

"Most would if they thought that this would all have an end date and that we could keep our body autonomy." page 50

That's what I said. I added the page numbers for you go back there and read the quotes seeing as you apparently "know what I said" but clearly can't take in fully what someone has actually said in their sentences because you have to jump in twisting things around and picking words out of sentences and leaving out the rest!

Yes you did, despite it already having been discussed with you extensively elsewhere, that an "end date" is impossible for the Government to give and why, so you're obviously either not taking anything in fully yourself, (or being selective).

Basically it makes your offer to graciously accept a lockdown on behalf of yourself and the rest of the unvaccinated-by-choice pretty meaningless.

By the way, I still think you're seriously underestimating how happy other unvaccinated would be to accept such a loss of their "basic human rights".

• Advertisement

Okay, well assuming they don't have undiagnosed conditions (if we're going by that then every healthy person in the world is potentially unhealthy without realising it) then they're perfectly healthy. If a person has an underlying condition, however, then we know that that person is potentially vulnerable. They can choose to be cautious. I say 'choose to'. I'm not saying 'expect them to'. I'm saying they can decide for themselves whether or not they wish to stay at home etc. Lord Sumption made that very point last year. He said that because of his age he was in the vulnerable category, but that if the pubs, theatres etc were all open that he would choose to go to them.

That was the other thread I believe and in regards to the lockdown dates we were given and about you saying the people heard what they wanted to hear. The government know they have to give dates if they want to have compliance. I know and you know that the dates given out mean **** all but if we're talking about one group going into lockdown while the rest are allowed out to run the figures up and keep them high, then yes people are gonna need an end date!!!

Selective?????? coming from you Loueze???????????????

Anyway, I am sure that this back and forward is getting painful and annoying for others to read and it's going off topic, this is supposed to be the "will there be another lockdown" thread, not the unvaccinated bashing thread!

This is about enough covid talk for me now for a few weeks so I'm going to bow out! 😴

If us unvaccinated ever end up locked up in a prison camp until we agree to take the vaccine maybe you can get a job there as head torturer. You can get a megaphone and sit outside and shout about how selfish we all are 😂 Until then 🤗 I don't have to listen to you so I'm off 😂

Gortanna, you can go on practically any thread on lockdowns, restrictions etc, and you'll see the same thing posted numerous times, in some variation or other - the high risk groups should stay indoors and restrict themselves, so restrictions can be lifted for everyone else.

On one thread recently I was told it was not mandatory for anyone to work, and the vulnerable should claim social welfare if they don't want to return to shared workspaces.

There is a definite expectation - I'd even go so far as to say a level of resentment building towards high risk groups - to restrict themselves so others can "go back to living normally".

Don't pretend like you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Moment they hit between 150/170 mark in ICU, nightclubs, pubs, restaurants will all be shut, just watch....

Let’s be thankful you don’t live in the US, you might be famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

I hope you got your vaccine to ease your travails? For some reason you sound like a vax dodger…..

• Advertisement

I have a couple of family members working in the civil service and they are all working in the office in roles that could easily be done from home.

Apparently every other week they are closing off floors for cleaning when there are cases.

Madness when you consider the government restricting other sectors and they won't allow their own staff to stay home.

Well, congratulations on the fantastic news of your imminent arrival! We had a baby during the pandemic also, and it is quite challenging at times; baby makes it all worth it though.

Vaccine hesitancy is very understandable when you're making decisions for bump. Your instinct is to avoid any risk whatsoever. It's a time that's full of excitement, but you also have a pandemic to deal with.

I think what people don't always grasp about the rollout of the vaccines is that if this goes wrong, or there are serious health side effects to it, the damage to public confidence in future vaccines (and this one of course) would be massive. Essentially, the rate of vaccinations for disease across the board would be badly effected. And if we were to have another pandemic, we'd be f*cked, because people would no longer trust vaccines, would stop taking them, and then disease would (once again) run rampant throughout the world's population. And this is before you even consider the anti-vacc movement that existed prior to Covid 19 (which you are not a part of).

Some people seem to think that 'they can saw what they want, but I have to live with the consequences'; but I suppose what I'm saying is that there's a lot at stake in all of this. Approvals for these things are not given willy nilly.

I think I read somewhere that 10% of people in ICU in Ireland are unvaccinated pregnant women with Covid 19. I don't know what the actual figure is, best I can find is a link below. I see that as a real failure on the part of public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I agree with everything you've said here, except I would add that the way governments and health technocrats are behaving with mandating vaccines across Europe is going to do more to help the antivax movement than a thousand Andrew Wakefields could ever hope to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

That 28 days thing is how the UK and many other countries transparently report numbers.

however Nphet have not been transparent on their counting methodology. The CSO and a number of county coroners have called on Nphet to “show their workings” as the CSO get a much much lower death rate when they do their maths.

there have been numerous examples of deaths being added 3 or 4 months in arrears.

Each Department is independently responsible for managing their own Return to Office attendance plans for their staff, and until the latest update most Departments were following the Government's "phased and cautious" approach to staff attending offices.

There is no one-size-fits-all policy across the whole Civil Service. As with any other sector, there will always be some roles that will require physical attendance in the workplace (e.g. maintaining IT systems).

But I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that following the update on Tuesday night my own Department advised all staff yesterday that our return to office plan is suspended indefinitely and all staff were to revert back to full time WFH with affect from today.

• Advertisement

@tigger123

Well, congratulations on the fantastic news of your imminent arrival! We had a baby during the pandemic also, and it is quite challenging at times; baby makes it all worth it though.

Vaccine hesitancy is very understandable when you're making decisions for bump. Your instinct is to avoid any risk whatsoever. It's a time that's full of excitement, but you also have a pandemic to deal with.

I think you're mixing up marilynrr's comment about her not taking the swine flu vaccine when pregnant in the past, with her refusal to take the covid vaccine now.

Nowhere on this or any other thread that I am aware of, has she stated she is currently pregnant. I'm pretty sure if she was, she would have said as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There will be a full lockdown in January that may even run to the end of Feb

Even Stevie Wonder can see it coming ,

Apologies (to her), I must have misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Then we can begin our yearly 'cautious reopening' plan and maybe get a couple of weeks of nightclubs being open before our annual lockdown to 'protect the health service', which will of course have not improved whatsoever in the intervening time since this Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

!00% by the beginning of April everything will be in full swing because they will know in winter things will need to wind down again ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

'Just 2 more weeks everyone promise' at the beginning of March and then we reopen sometime in July.

Meaningful August Bank Holiday here we come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I doubt it actually causes fewer people to take the vaccine. It will cause the anti-vax people to be more vocal. It's their day in the sun and it's everything they were hoping would happen. But I'd bet it will cause far more people to actually take the vaccine than otherwise would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If all these unvaccinated people are so healthy then why are our ICUs full of them? What about people who have a condition but aren’t aware. You think it’s reasonable to expect people who have conditions through no fault of their own to restrict their movements but it’s a human rights issue when unvaccinated people are asked to do the same? That’s not very fair IMO. The unvaccinated are unvaccinated and vulnerable by choice. People with underlying conditions had no say in the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think there will be a 2 week “circuit breaker” lockdown from next Friday, 26th November.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i presume schools shut during the circuit breaker otherwise its no use.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement