Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I doubt he’s old enough to get into a pub in the first place judging by the calibre of his “insults”.

I think most people move away from the “your mother” jokes after they hit puberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; Eastern take a chill pill, there's no need to be starting about someone's mother here.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Just for you!

Pinched this off an English tractor merchant…less than 500hrs from new!

I remember well collecting one from Fords in Cork back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

The decals don't look right on that, Dawg.

Exhaust not genuine either.

Are you sure it's a genuine low hours example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Decals look OK to me but the exhaust is definitely not original.

I think it was Parris tractors…or maybe it was Doe? They claimed 400 odd genuine hours. I believe the hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

India had a tender out for 1. 25 MN tonne of Urea, got offered 500k from producers.

Traders said it was a foolish way of buying it, made this inevitable but it will drive up the price globally now.

In the positive side, the country where 1 in 5 litres of milk is produced is well short of Fertilizer, that's going to feed in to global milk demand and milk prices.

The downside is a country of 1.4bn people is significantly short of Fertilizer.

There are signs that normality might be coming back to the Fertilizer prices next Summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Like anything, the best cure for high prices is high prices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Lol. After 5yrs of teagasc saying urea is bad, don't use urea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Good article in the independent outlining the global extent of the worlds fertilzier problems

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/agri-food/fertiliser-crisis-means-higher-prices-for-every-plate-of-food-41052408.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Christ, the horrors of a coffee bean shortage, I didn't bat an eyelid about toilet paper or any other shortages post covid, but I'm absolutely stocking up on bags and bags of coffee, just incase lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Christ most definitely the attic will be filled here 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Isn't it great though that the guys doing all the work in the coffee plantations might get paid a bit more. I laugh at the guys rising the prices in the coffee chains due to having to pay more for the beans. No mention of all the add-ons in between. There is huge mark up on coffee. Nearly the price of a pint and no excise to be paid. The percentage of the price that the grower gets is pitiful but sure that's no surprise to anyone here I'm sure. They have fair trade just to make themselves feel a bit better.

What about the impending wine shortage. The housewives of the country won't know what to do with themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Guess characters like you and I better find more chores out doors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It interesting that many are looking at looking for solutions without looking at the obivious one. Between lads recommending adding water to slurry ( added cost of spreading will negate a lot of savings). I saw a recommendation in the FI by an advisor ( Goggins I think) that maize is the answer for getting a bulk crop without considering it may not be feasible in places and as well you scale ( adding extra cost)or having never planted adds to risk of crop issues.

The obivious answer is often not considered. Reducing output. I saw where a 20-25% reduction in fertlizer will only reduce grass output by 10-12%. As well the rush to take light covers out for bales during May especially maybe should be tempered next year and use miminal extra fertlizer to get maybe double these crop sides in 10-14 days.

Should lengthening the rotation be considered as well by 1-2 days at times will this cause such an issue with production that it will reduce output or output value. Would the cost saved cancel the output value lost.

Slava Ukrainii

I’d agree with most of your post except for the slurry part. I think you’re over exaggerating when it comes to the cost v benefit of watering down the slurry. I’m thinking of all the farmers living around me and there’s only 2 I can think of that don’t have their own way of spreading slurry. So for all of the rest what is the extra cost? A drum or 2 of diesel and a few pints less some Saturday evening and your slurry has covered twice the ground!

I’ve spread thick slurry on fields to make room in the slatted tank to add water. After adding water, agitating and finishing off the same field you can go back a week or 10 days later and have lush green grass growing where the watery slurry was spread and stunted, slurry caked grass where the thick slurry went.

There are only 2 times when thick slurry should be near grass, early spring and the day after silage is taken off. Any time outside of that and you’re only wasting money with thick slurry.

In the ideal scenario you water it down with pig slurry but that’s not an option for a lot of people.

Come to think of it as well the 2 lads that are using a contractor in this neighbourhood are both using the same man with a trailing shoe so all the slurry has to be watered down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Will we see all slurry been done with dribble bar / trailing shoe

Without doubt, it’s only a matter of time. All the slurry will have to be watered down then anyway so may as well start now!!

Although in saying that anyone I know that’s using dribble bar/trailing shoe says they’d never go back to splash plate anyway and are sorry they didn’t change over years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Agree. I’ve a local guy putting out 8 bays in half day including agitation for €500. I get slurry to fields I’d never get to. Still have my own tank for 2 silage fields across the road and handy for moving tanks of water etc

putting out thick slurry is a waste of time. Cakes on the ground and grass takes way longer to recover unless you get lucky with just the right amount of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's worth a listen to this week's journal podcast where jk and Liam woulfe of grassland agro chat re fertilizer, credit is going to be the issue going forward, his standout comment was even if a farmer/purchasing groups /co-op commits to fertilizer now at current prices, they will have to pay now to guarantee delivery, they won't even work of payment on delivery in January/February

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Has anyone tried for a quote on any of the fertilizers, just out of Interest to see where the prices are at now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Estimated at €700 for CAN and €1100 for urea Easten. No guarantee on those prices but thats off a Glanbia rep in the South East

If those prices materialise, there will be a lot of hungry cattle in the country for the next two years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was talking to my local coop rep last Friday ,quizzed him on fertiliser ….they have stock but no prices ,hope to have them early December ….last asked early October and was told he’d have prices late October 🤔🤔🤔

having a solid plan in place and securing a certain supply of fertiliser for first 4/5 months going to be crucial …looking like v little protected urea going to be spread next year too

Availability may as much of an issue as price. The demand for ordinary UREA will be exponential. However it will be the mix of product available. I think it will be the latter half of the year before prices soften... If they do. If commodity prices rise significantly from spring on the demand for fertlizer from the southern hemisphere could be an issue.

At those prices lads will cut back. One thing f the he main reasons may be cash flow. Expect Co-op and merchants to be looking for COD

As in battle few plans survive first contact

Slava Ukrainii

Maybe, maybe not. We will see the start of product price increases fairly fast IMO. Futures will drive commodity prices crazy. If future prices go up for grains( easily stored) these will feed into meat and milk prices very fast as a lot of the world is dependent on intensively fed chicken and pork as well as feedlot beef.

I forgot about one other phenomenon which will effect supply and price. Hoarding. Expect consumer's to buy extra and freeze or store product.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have about 20 % of the year s fert sitting in the yard at the minute but it's mostly 18 6 12 and I'd prefer if I had a bit more urea for the spring.i m hoping though in a worst case scenario that would get me to may ish and we ll have to see where things stands then.thinking we might cut silage early and hopefully by May we might get a bit more.probaly moving to 3 cut instead of 2 to spread purchases and get more out of quicker recovery and hopefully have less stem in the silage

Advertisement